PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Hawks??

kokaine
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Thinking about using these. Anyone use these and maybe provide some pro / cons?

Petty4life
01-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I use them when stacking.

Pro- dont have to keep bringing the downrigger ball up and down after each fish. makes stating very easy.

con-if they come the cable there goes $13 floating away and by the time you notice its gone its to late.

oldguysrule
01-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I got one for christmas and am looking foward to trying it. Looks like it will save some time.

Kokaholic
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
take the red clip off the back and put a black or yellow off shore clip on it. you will like it much better. great took. takes a little getting used to, but you should like it.

Full_Monte
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I use them when stacking.

Pro- dont have to keep bringing the downrigger ball up and down after each fish. makes stating very easy.

con-if they come the cable there goes $13 floating away and by the time you notice its gone its to late.

I read somewhere that you can keep them from coming off the downrigger line, but don't remember what that tip was. Anybody remember?

Kokaholic
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
After you clip it onto the rigger cable, use a peice of tape to close off the opening. This will hold it on until your done for the day. When finished fishing for the day, remove the tape, remove from cable and store away.

HiTechKoke
01-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I've been using them for 6-7 years now particularly as a two down-rigger guy running 4 lines prior to last year before having a 3rd downrigger. The keys to using them are:

1. Have enough speed to get them down, at least 1 MPH. Use a bead stop at least 10 feet above your lower line if stacking.

2. Keep tension on your line as they pull down and hit their beads stop. If done right and with a clicker reeel you can set them to deploy and walk away and hear them go down until the clicker stops or slows down considerably.

3. Get some of that automotive dum-dum stuff to bridge the gap across the slot to prevent them coming off the cable and then just thumb it across the gap for added protection. They don't float! They really don't come off unless you lift them out of the water on the cable which can happen if you have a bead stop.

The good news is the newer models from last year are also longer and the cable hole is a bit more slotted to prevent the cable from getting back into the entry track. The bad news is I have about 8 of them so I won't be seeing the new models for some time. :-)

I too replace the clips but I'm determined I'll figure out the existing clips as Gary M. showed me last year how easy it really is if you practice a few times. I do like a longer clip cable though so it is easier to grab from the water.

So if you are going to stack these are the way to go if you don't like pulling up your cable, especially for those with manual downriggers. With a good fishfinder you can watch them go down on the screen so you'll know they are at the right spot.

The only downside is if you have debris in the water they may get hung up on the way down or up so knowing where they are from the fishfinder helps.

Kevin

Kokaholic
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Kevin,

Great points also. I had some of the same pointers from Gary also. I just dont like the abuse that it puts onto my line from snapping it in and out. Just me personally. The Off shores are just much easier and you can adjust the tension on the offshores by just sliding the spring forward or back. Also if I use mine on Anothers boat with his lines, say 12 pound to my ten. I have to re adjust my clips for his line and then re adjust again back to mine. Just some additional thoughts for folks who are thinking about useing them. Just change out the clips guys!

AFDan52
01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't have any as of yet, but I am planning on having some soon.

Full_Monte
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
3. Get some of that automotive dum-dum stuff to bridge the gap across the slot to prevent them coming off the cable and then just thumb it across the gap for added protection. They don't float! They really don't come off unless you lift them out of the water on the cable which can happen if you have a bead stop.
Kevin

Thanks for that, Kevin. I just bought a couple of them at the ISE show. Can you explain "dum-dum stuff"? I've been working on cars most of my life and am embarassed to say I've never heard of it.

HiTechKoke
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I need to find a better online picture but this describes it:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8317&frostProductName=DUM%20DUM%20Sealing%20Compound%20 (400g)

They sell it in strips like licorice but gray or black. Don't try to sample it though!

Petty4life
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
After you clip it onto the rigger cable, use a piece of tape to close off the opening. This will hold it on until your done for the day. When finished fishing for the day, remove the tape, remove from cable and store away.

a rubber band works to

twisted lines
01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I was reading about these going through posts and ordered some, Thinking about all the times I have attempted stacking on a downrigger, hince the name! anyone use these with the larger dodgers in the salt?

Petty4life
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
one of the best ways to learn to use them is to get Gary Mirallis video, he does a good job explaining how to use them and exactly how they work.

oldguysrule
01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you have a link that will get me to gary's site?

Petty4life
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Do you have a link that will get me to gary's site?

ill pm you