PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Motor Steering

AFDan52
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm going to be checking out a new trolling motor this year, and I'm thinking about a remote steering unit of some kind. I know there are a few available in this area, but I'm not sure which way to go. I've been checking out the Panther unit recently and I like that idea, anyone got there own ideas or preferences.movie

twisted lines
01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
A Friend of mine runs the panther and likes it for staying under the canvas when the weather is foul, wants to upgrade the control so he also has throttle control. I don't know much about them; I splurged for the TR1 about six years ago and love it, I only had one problem with it and that was my dog broke a plastic Quick connect doing the happy dance while a fish was doing the same near the boat. Last year I got a 12' Gregor and my wife thought I should put one on it as well! (not) I have seen several connecting rods to steer off the main motor and that is how I would do it if I had two Outboards but keep the throttle control in mind as well...

SilverBullets
01-25-2009, 03:07 PM
I just did the connecting rod method that Twisted Lines mentioned. Had to fab up a couple brackets to make it work. Looking forward to trying it out this season.thumbsup This is on a 15' Smoker Craft...going to steer kicker with main motor.

AFDan52
01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
I have that steering rod setup that you are talking about. I was using it on my 16ft'er with the 2 outboards, and would steer with the steering wheel. The system works good , but now I have a 19 ft'er and and am probably going to go with an 8hp Yamaha T8 High thrust kicker.

Digi-Troller
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I use an 8hp mercury on my 18.5 foot fiberglass boat. It pushes it along great, and also trolls down to .5mph if I want it to. I got the Panther unit last year and have loved it. I can now steer with just the remote. I can run downriggers, fight fish, unhook fish... do anything with that remote in my hoodie pocket. Just a tap of the button here and there to keep her in line, and I'm good. I definately suggest giving the Panther a try.

Kokonuts
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I have my 8hp connected to the main motor for steering up front, its easy to disconnect & steer from the rear also. The only problem is that I dont have speed control up front. Having both up front would be the best! thumbsup
Digi---I hav't heard anything about the Panther Unit, where can I find out more about it?

twisted lines
01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
The system works good , but now I have a 19 ft'er and and am probably going to go with an 8hp Yamaha T8 High thrust kicker.

None Better!!!!!!!!

Petty4life
01-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Dan you got a link or pic of what this panther unit is? I've never heard of it and am intrested in hearing and seeing morethumbsup

twisted lines
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Dan you got a link or pic of what this panther unit is? I've never heard of it and am intrested in hearing and seeing morethumbsup

Looks like these will work!

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/pmarine/pmarine_master.php?catID=3

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&selectedPerPage=&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&_D%3Asort=+&sort=all&Ntt=Panther+Remote+Steer+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=11&Go.y=8

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030614019563a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=remote+throttle&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Petty4life
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Looks like these will work!

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/pmarine/pmarine_master.php?catID=3

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030614019563a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=remote+throttle&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

thanks ill go check it out

Digi-Troller
01-26-2009, 12:39 AM
I've got the Panther 100. Been nothing but great for us. It is one more item to drain your battery, so keep that in mind. I also installed an onboard charger to combat this. I run my sonar, gps, remote steer, and three DTIV's on one battery. It will troll about 2 days without a charge, but I try to plug the boat in each night to bring her back up.

Havent had battery issues yet, just thought I'd mention that... another thing to consider if youre going with a remote troller.

AFDan52
01-26-2009, 01:08 AM
I was going to mention that you can find the panther units at cabela's. I originally heard about this piece from Bodine11 at Bear Lake, he uses one and swears by it. The cost is about half of that of the Remote-troll or Troll-daddy.

AFDan52
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Jason, I think the Panther unit would be a Great addition to your boat and it doesn't take up any room. Thats why I am seriously considering it.

oldguysrule
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have a picture of there kicker motor hooked up to there main motor? Just got the 9.9 on my fiberglass 22' er.Having trouble getting it lined up. Seems it wants to have less movement on the kicker than the main any help?

AFDan52
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Are you using the steering rod or something else. The Rod might not be long enough.

SilverBullets
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Are you using the steering rod or something else. The Rod might not be long enough.

When I installed the steering rod, I found it helpful to try and get towards the center of both motors to get full movement. I connected the rod to a couple L-angles I located on each motor.

AFDan52
01-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Thats what I did and it helped me to get the best movement for both motors.