PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Rods

AFDan52
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
What type of Kokanee Rods do you guys like to use Glass or Graphite and why? Also are any paticular brands that you like ?movie

Kokaholic
01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Glass, Glass Glass.

Why spend the extra money for a graphite rod that your just going to put into a down rigger and load up. Glass is cheaper and holds up better.

Brand:? I have new lamiglas rods coming for this season!

SilverBullets
01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
I use a Vance's spiral wrap rod. Loads up good, and has a sensitive tip.

MackPrince
01-23-2009, 12:51 AM
My main go-to pole is a worn in Eagle Claw glass rod that I got around 15 years ago. I prefer it's limberness and moderate action when trolling so I can watch the lures action at the tip. I also fish old school with no sonar and hold the rod so the slower action helps prevent the hooks from tearing out of the kokanee's soft mouths. I do have an Okuma graphite pole that is also nice because with it's fast action hits are easliy detected and this is often what I have guests use.

I've been eyeballin' a few graphite (Lamiglas,Shimano and Fenwick) rods to replace the Eagle Claw and invest in some higher quality gear. With all the hours on the water it is time to move up and the fiberglass rod selection is getting limited. Lamiglas and Loomis are both based within 25 miles of my home lake so I'll have to check the pocketbook on one of the '09 day trips.

Glass benefits- Slower and/or softer actions and often more durable for daily abuses and bumps. Moderate pricing.

Graphite benefits- More sensitive feel and faster actions, stiffer construction and lighter overall weight. More action speed choices and a larger variety of compositions and price ranges.

GVF
01-23-2009, 01:04 AM
I do like my vances rod but I have a 3 weight fly rod that has a casting handle that I have used for the last couple years and the action is great for the kokes its like a snubber

Kokanee Killer
01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
for my style of fishing i prefer a 7ft 6in light action 4-10 lb mrd light,usually we are still fishing at night or drifting with jigs,the tip is soft but the rod has plenty of backbone great rod when paired with any quality 1500 series spinning reel,preferably shimano symetere or saharas,kinda noodeley but with power.

twisted lines
01-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Graphite, lamiglas I like to feel the wiggle, and use the same rods trolling for lake trout with spoons, and can adjust speed for the right thump, and can easily tell if they foul or catch cabbage.

FishHunter
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I like the medium light 7'6" Ugly Stik rods. They are extremely durable and I have found that I need 10 or 15 rods and they are very affordable. I am waiting to see the new JJ rods that come out this year from Lamiglas and will probably buy at a couple of them.

Fallriverguy
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I have both and like the 7' slow action graphite rods most. I have a couple of Diawa Spinmatics that I really like. For $35 they are a great rod. I just got a Rock Creek kokanee rod. This is a private label rod made for Allsports. This costs a little more but it is a fun rod to fish. I also the yellow Lamiglass glass rod that I also like, but I think the others are more fun to fish.

smokepoles
01-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a couple glass 7' PowerTip Pros from Pinnacle. Inexpensive for sure, but do the job. Surely more than needed for kokanee, but very functional for other things such as trolling for wipers. Have Okuma Convector 15 line counters on them loaded with 12 pound Sensation. There is some stretch to that copolymer, but much less than mono. Really shines when long lining, and getting a good release from the downriggers or sideplaners.

As you can tell I'm sort of a generalist in this arena. And if I'm going to spend substantial money on a rod, it's probably a fly rod.

Petty4life
01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
ive been using anglers touch rods the last few years but will retire them this year and replace them with the new lamiglas Jared Johnson Signature Rods. The new rods will match my new boat. LOL

hey smokepoles when i get my new rods ill sell you my old ones for a killer price.

FishHunter
01-23-2009, 08:15 PM
ive been using anglers touch rods the last few years but will retire them this year and replace them with the new lamiglas Jared Johnson Signature Rods. The new rods will match my new boat. LOL

Has anyone heard what the price on the new JJ rods will be? Will any "local" stores be selling them or do they have to be ordered off the internet? I read that Full Monte preordered a couple at the Sacramento ISE show for $75 each.

Petty4life
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Has anyone heard what the price on the new JJ rods will be? Will any "local" stores be selling them or do they have to be ordered off the internet? I read that Full Monte preordered a couple at the Sacramento ISE show for $75 each.

Sportsmans warehouse will carry them. they will be between 70-75$ they wont be availible till march

smokepoles
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
hey smokepoles when i get my new rods ill sell you my old ones for a killer price.

Are you replacing them because they're wore out? I've always wanted to catch enough fish to wear out a rod ;)

Petty4life
01-23-2009, 09:36 PM
these 2 rods probly only have about 6 trips on them. Well go fish Porcupine this spring and ill let you try them out. I want Rods that will match my boat and the lamiglas sig series are red just like my boat LOLthumbsup

Kokaholic
01-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Petty and I have both had the oppertunity to fish with the JJ prototype rod that is coming out this spring. WOW. very nice, 7'6" one extra eye on the rod. Nice back bone for moving a fish away from tangling lines.

However, I think a great reel is just as important as that new rod.

Digi-Troller
01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Last year we outfitted the boat with 6 new koke combo's. We went with lamiglas kokanee special rods, and shimano cardiff reels. Love them! I still cant believe how sweet these set ups are. Cant imagine koke fishing without them now. But, I am now jonesing for one of the JJ rods! It never ends, does it? lol

Kokaholic
01-24-2009, 01:49 AM
I have the Cardiffs also Brett and they are very nice. I got the 400 series with the clickers, I just bought to new Ticas. I have used them and they are very nice also. I got the gold Caimen cm100R, 12 ball bearing. They are sweet!

You will love the new JJ kokanee rod. Very nice

HiTechKoke
01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I like Mack Prince's summary of Glass versus Graphite as that will help most people looking into each type. Setting your price-point is a good first step as well and you can always move up from there. I have both Glass and Graphites from Rogue, Lamiglas and Vance's. A couple of the new JJ Lami rods are coming my way when they ship as I ordered some at the Sac ISE show, $74.95 each. The glass rods are going to be more forgiving if you have kids as well but I do love the graphites for their sensitivity and direct feel of the fish.

The nice thing about going to the ISE shows is the rods from most manufacturers are there to pick up and play with a number of them. Getting them out to fish is even better so query your friends as well.

Kevin

Fish Junky
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
My favorite kok rod is the 7'0'' Shimano Talora. It's an awsome kokanee rod. I have a Abu 4600 c-3 on them and they work really well.

Propnut69
01-25-2009, 03:35 PM
My main poles for kokes rods are Shakespeare agility rods in 7ft. They are a great rod for the price,and are a excellent downrigger rod for kokes. I like the 7ft rod,as i have short arms and it makes setting the hook a little easier for me. I will also be picking up one of the JJ signature series rods this spring.

AFDan52
01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I guess that i am going to have to look into the new JJ Rods later this year and see what alll of hipe is about.

Petty4life
01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I guess that i am going to have to look into the new JJ Rods later this year and see what alll of hipe is about.

Use what you got now dan they are good rods and ill let you try out my jj rods before you just buy some to be part of the crowd

Kokaholic
01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Jason is right Dan. Those rods you have are great rods. Yo will enjoy them very much.

AFDan52
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh, I'm planning on using them plenty this year. I think I'm going to be having some fun fishing this year with all of the new gear I have now.

KokeDealer
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
My favorite kokanee rod would be the Lamiglass Tournament Kokanee that my Dad runs as I'm a fan of the graphite
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/080908007.jpg

but...

Petty and I have both had the oppertunity to fish with the JJ prototype rod that is coming out this spring. WOW. very nice, 7'6" one extra eye on the rod. Nice back bone for moving a fish away from tangling lines.

However, I think a great reel is just as important as that new rod.

I too was also very impressed with the prototype Lami Jared Sig. rod.

With the reasonable price they are coming out at I may have to pass along for a fair price my entry level rods to some of the guys I've been coaxing into this kokanee habit so as to upgrade to the Jared Sig's

they load up real nice,
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/080908002.jpg

and I love that bendo when fighting the sizable gorge fish(rod on the right)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/080908002-1.jpg

oldguysrule
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Nice soda toothumbsuplaugh hyst

KokeDealer
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
With the reasonable price they are coming out at I may have to pass along for a fair price my entry level rods to some of the guys I've been coaxing into this kokanee habit so as to upgrade to the Jared Sig's

I've also been very happy with my Pfleuger Trions and Shakespeare Agilitys which at 30-40 bucks I cannot come up with any complaints

KokeDealer
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Nice soda toothumbsuplaugh hyst

Word. Best canned breakfast on the market.

AFDan52
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

Kokaholic
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Word. Best canned breakfast on the market.

I drank the extra one that you left in JJs boat last year after you left and I was in there!thumbsupworthy12tongue2