PDA

View Full Version : Action disc hoochie?

smokepoles
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
With the talk of modifying Apex type lures, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using an action disc to impart additional action to a hoochie for kokanee? If so how did you rig it and what were results?

http://www.wigglefin.com/

vvBob
01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Have not tried an wiggle fin....But there is a hoochie made that has a plastic action lip on it. Its called a Hoochie Thing; made by Crystal Basin
http://www.crystalbasintackle.com/hoochie%20page.htm

HiTechKoke
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
With the talk of modifying Apex type lures, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using an action disc to impart additional action to a hoochie for kokanee? If so how did you rig it and what were results?

http://www.wigglefin.com/

You could run it a lot of ways and like most things Kokanee there isn't really a right or wrong answer but just a lot of experimentation. ;-)

1. Naked - no dodger and then use the string bobber stop to adjust how far the wiggle fin is above the hoochie. They make different sizes of the wiggle fin too.,

2. Run it on a longer leader behind a dodger since it will pull the action out of the dodger for the most part.

I have a few rigged and use them for trout as well with a grub so the wiggle fins are multi-purpose. For me it's not my primary tackle but when I'm digging into the box it may pop out once in a while and has caught a few fish here and there. Don't forget you can scent that disc up with gel to leave that scent trail around that Hoochie.

Hoochie things accomplish the same thing.

AFDan52
01-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I have plans to try some out and see what happens, I'm always looking for an edge.

SuperD
01-23-2009, 12:09 PM
The "experimentation" could prove me wrong but I'd suspect that the action of a wiggle fin is too tight. The action of the lip that vvbob mentions is more sweeping or dodger like. It will be interesting to see the results.

Fallriverguy
01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I have a hand full of these and have not given them much water time. But, the times that I have tried them, I had no success.

SilverBullets
01-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a hand full of these and have not given them much water time. But, the times that I have tried them, I had no success.

ahh ha! I wondered why you were so quick to give me a few at the kokanee seminar last year... Just messin with ya Brian!laugh hyst Seriously, I haven't given them a try yet. It might just be that the action is a bit too excessive for kokanee, as I have allways read they preferr more of a wobble action. Maybe useing a bobber stop to place the wiggle fin a ways ahead of the hoochie/tube would work better?

HiTechKoke
01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
The "experimentation" could prove me wrong but I'd suspect that the action of a wiggle fin is too tight. The action of the lip that vvbob mentions is more sweeping or dodger like. It will be interesting to see the results.

The Hoochie Things definitely dance around quite a bit but a bit different than a wiggle fin. I thought I had some video of it somewhere but I'd have to dig around quite a bit.

wigglefin
08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
The wigglefin website has a video that shows the action you get with a kokanee hoochie. The video shows a number of different flies and baits. To see the kokanee hoochie go to 3:42 into the movie.

I just introduced a new kokanee flasher based on the same principals of random movement and vibration as the ActionDisc.

Dean -
WiggleFin Tackle

mrmike
08-06-2013, 07:47 PM
No offence, but there is something called school of fish already out made by Oregon tackle and sold by kokanee tackle (a forum sponsor) it does the same thing and probably better same principal I personnel purchase some of them suckution cups devices to give action to my hoochie for the love of it I tried everything I used a tooth pick in the hole so the cup wouldn't 't spin. I could never get it to work for me I tryied all different length I use that school of fish and of course there is no action it is just another type of flasher for the hoochie, because it doesn't wobble the only thing I could use is a spinner type lure like wedding ring etc. Just thought I would pass it on for what ever its worth. I personnel have very good success with the school of fish. It comes with willow blades I've did some experiment with other blades work excellent. Solid gold/ half silver half gold.

wigglefin
08-06-2013, 10:52 PM
mrmike

I do take offense. You imply through your skilled use of parentheses that I have no right to participate in this forum discussion.
With all due respect, my ActionDiscs are also sold by Kokanee Tackle (a forum sponsor) and the School of Fish does not "do the same thing" as a Swarm flasher. The Swarm flasher has 5" blades and is designed to mimic Kokanee chasing bait fish. It casts a broad, bright flash in a random pattern.

I have nothing but respect for anyone trying to make a living in the tackle business and will never trash a competitors product. The Oregon Tackle - School of Fish, is a quality product based on an umbrella rig that has been used with success by offshore saltwater trollers for decades. As it's name implies, it uses spinner blades to represent a school of bait fish, but it is not a flasher.

As for the ActionDisc, anyone who watches the video can see how they are rigged. If you need more detailed rigging instructions they are available on my website.

- Dean Teegarden

WiggleFin Tackle LLC.

mrmike
08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Sorry you took offense your action dis in your video are used with alot of bass action lures like larger swim baits/ etc.I'm saying I had no luck with them with hoochies I had talk with some other very experience fisherman and there reply was try a tooth pick as the action Disc rotate spins this might stop it. I did so again no luck. I tryied different leader length didn't work could be we troll pretty slow for kokanee and these ActionDisc need more RPM. I'm not trashing your business its your product I'm paid hard earned money to your company for them I just couldn't get it to work on hoochies there was just no action/sorry to disagree but with blades on the school of fish it is a flasher good luck with your product line o'h by the way your Action Disc aren't new they been on the market for along peroid of time also, so you just didn/t reinvent the wheel yourself. I never suggested you not participate in this forum discussion for that I apologies. a recap I purchased your product and had difficulty it didn't work.

SuperD
08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Dean, until other colors are available on the swarm flasher, can I order blank blades?

wigglefin
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I put up a an ActionDisc- Kokanee Hootchie Rigging Guide page on my site today.

There is video of both of these rigs running underwater at 1.5 - 2 mph.

http://www.wigglefin.com/Kokanee_rigs.html

- Dean

WiggleFin Tackle, LLC.

wigglefin
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
SuperD,

I'll be cutting blades this week. As soon as I have blanks I'll make em available on my site and get a message up here to let you know.

wigglefin
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Dean, until other colors are available on the swarm flasher, can I order blank blades?

SuperD,

All the Swarm Flasher blades (http://www.wigglefin.com/Swarm_kokanee_flashers.html) are now available individually so you can build the exact combinations you want.

- Dean

WiggleFin Tackle, LLC.