PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motors...

SilverBullets
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
At present am thinking of updating motors. On the 15' Smokercraft Alaskan are two Yamaha 4 stroke motors (purchased new in 2003) one a 4hp and the other a 25hp. Plans are to sell both and purchase two Yamaha T8's. The Yamaha's on the boat have been good motors over the years, just thinking with the economy the way it is, it might be a good time to update.
Has anyone had experience with the Yamaha T8's, or is there any others you'd recommend that you've had good results with? The transom on this boat is not the largest, so space is an issue that needs to be considered.

FishHunter
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
The Yamaha high-thrust T8's are great motors. I have several friends who have them and they work very well. None of them have had any mechanical issues with the motors because they take care of them.

I have a Mercury 9.9, but have been wanting to update it to the Yamaha T8 because of the size of my boat and the fuel economy of the Yamaha.

Kokanee Wizard
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a T8 and it's been trouble free. It can be hard to start if you don't run it every month. I had been using my electric trolling motor during the summer months. When it came time to start the T8 it took some time for it to warm up and idle. After that, it started easily. Now I try to remember to run it for a few minutes every time out. Maybe someday they'll put EFI on a small kicker to help solve that.

Kokaholic
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I have heard nothing but good on the t-8s I wish ytou were closer when you sold your 4 horse. I would buy itthumbsup

Petty4life
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
not if i buy it first

SilverBullets
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Haven't sold the 25hp or the 4hp Yamaha's yet, still contemplating what to replace them with. On a 15' Smokercraft, do you think a t8 could troll down to kok speeds with the high thrust, or would the f8 be a better choice. Where I fish, the kokanee prefer a speed of around 1.0-1.4mph, most trolling being done around 1.2 mph. I've read alot of good reports on the t8's, but I think most are being used on larger boats for trolling.

Kokaholic
12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
WOW, Thats pretty slow. I dont know that much about them. If I was looking for info on them, There is a place in Hyrum Utah called Lees Marine. This guy Lee is the most knowledgeable guy around. He is great at giving info and could probably answer some of your questions. He would be my first call on something like this.

SilverBullets
12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess that does seem slow compared to the Gorge or Shasta, now you know why I have to give the sling blades a little extra bend! Actually, according to statistics, I've read 50% of the kokanee are caught at a speed of 1.2mph. Like they say, every lake is different.
I'll take your advice, got a knowledgeable Yamaha mechanic just north of here I will check with. Anyone else care to share your experience with your trolling motors? Have they been good, bad, would you buy another one from the same manufacturer?

HiTechKoke
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Another vote for the T8. It's a work horse of lots and lots of Kokanee friends here in Ca. and I have never heard anything bad about them. I've had mine for 3+ years now and it can idle really low as well down to .75 MPH for my boat but it will be heavier than your Alaskan. I have the electric start and once primed and choked according to the weather it is an easy start. There are many different sub models with and with out tiller / electric / and mine has hydraulic tilt.

Kevin

GVF
01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Plans are to sell both and purchase two Yamaha T8's

SB I am confused about this why would you get 2 of them ?what about the motor to get you to the spot to fish.I would think you would want one motor for getting on plane and one for trolling?

SilverBullets
01-09-2009, 01:21 PM
SB I am confused about this why would you get 2 of them ?what about the motor to get you to the spot to fish.I would think you would want one motor for getting on plane and one for trolling?

Have since decided to do just what you have mentioned. Were gonna keep the 25hp, and trade in the 4hp on a new one. After talking this over with a friend who specializes in boat motors, he said with the amount of gear we have in the boat the 25hp would work out better to get us off the water quicker in case of foul weather.

Kokaholic
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
You got some good advice. worthy12

Fish Junky
01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Your friend gave you good advise on keeping your 25. I have a T-8 and it'll idle at .7 mph. 1.2 would be no problem. The T-8 would be a good choice.

SuperD
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Your friend gave you good advise on keeping your 25. I have a T-8 and it'll idle at .7 mph. 1.2 would be no problem. The T-8 would be a good choice.

I'm suspect of that on SB's boat. FJ, you have a 21' er. On my boat, essentially a 19 - 20', the T-8 idles right at 1.0 mph. On a 15' boat, I'm betting it will be a chore to keep it at 1.0 mph.

SilverBullets
01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm suspect of that on SB's boat. FJ, you have a 21' er. On my boat, essentially a 19 - 20', the T-8 idles right at 1.0 mph. On a 15' boat, I'm betting it will be a chore to keep it at 1.0 mph.

That's kinda what I figured Dave, so am keeping the 25hp and trading in the old 4hp Yamaha for a new one. On this boat, there is not alot of room on the back, so have to work with what room is available. Thanks for all your replies...SB

Full_Monte
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
If it doesn't throttle down as slow as you want, you can always get a prop that will have a lower pitch.

AFDan52
01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
The Yamaha T8 High Thrust is the way to go. After some research I found that the T8 has the power to push a 27 ft boat with no problem at all. I think I'm going to go with the Electric start and power Tilt also.

vvBob
01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
There is one problem the T8 has that no one has brought up....

If it's a remote shifter IE: at the Steering wheel, then you will have problems maintaining a set speed. Every time you turn the wheel the RPM will go up or down, haven't seen one yet that doesn't do this.

The Mercury 9.9 is much better, all though it will vary RPM, but not near as bad as the T8.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the Yamaha, it's a terrific motor, but if you don't want to constantly adjust the throttle Mercury is the way to go.