PDA

View Full Version : How do you smoke Kokanee?

Full_Monte
12-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't have any Kokanee to eat right now. Just in case I ever catch another one violin, I'd like to know how you guys smoke them. What equipment do you use, and what recipe? Thanks for the help, and Merry Xmas!

SilverBullets
12-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I use the Luhr-Jensen smokers. For different size batches, I either use the little chief, or the big chief. Be aware that the big chief has a larger heating element, thus smoking time is faster. Don't throw the box out that the smoker comes in, they come in handy on cold days to put over the smoker to insulate it, just have to cut out a area on top to vent, and a area to load the wood tray.
The brine I had been useing was the Luhr-Jensen brand, but after 5 years and alot of kokes, I needed a change. I am now experimenting with different brine's. Last season I tried:
1/4 cup of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup of Yoshida's Gourmet Marinade
1 quart water
2 teaspoons Johnny's seasoning 12 hours in brine & 3 hours in smoke
This brine tastes pretty good, just have to be careful of the salt amount.
What I do is fillet the fish leaving the skin on and put them in a glass container with the premixed brine, then put in refer overnight. Get up a couple times during the night to stir. Take out in morning and rinse off, then lay out on paper towels and pat dry, then sprinkle seasoned pepper and seasoning. Let set until you see a glaze on the meat (usually about an hour) then load on the racks skin side down and throw em in the smoker. I use mostly alder, and a bit of hickory and mesquite doesn't hurt. I normally use 3 to 4 pans of wood, then just heat. Keep an eye on them, and rotate the racks until done. Time in the smoker depends on the outside temperature, and the thickness of the meat. Take out and let cool for a few hours , then vacuum pack and throw in freezer. I highly recommend the "FoodSaver" brand vacuum packer.

Mossy835
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Been using the following for years with great success:

SMOKED FISH - Salmon, Trout, Whitefish, Carp, etc.

10 lbs more or less of fish
1 to 1.5 gallons of water – enough to cover fish
1 cup of salt
2 cups of brown sugar
˝ cup of lemon juice (I usually don’t use this – I have and haven’t and could tell no difference)

Small fish (1 lb or less) can be smoked whole. Larger fish can be split or filleted. If skin is removed fish cooks much faster but will over dry if not watched closely.

In a large plastic or glass container, (I use a clean 2 to 5 gallon bucket) combine water, salt, brown sugar and lemon juice (optional). Dissolve salt and sugar into solution by stirring. Add fish; place a plate on top of fish and jug of ice (helps to hold fish under brine and keep cool). Set in a cool place.
Let stand for 12 to 24 hours. Stir occasionally, about every 6 to 12 hours is adequate. If skinless fillet 12-hour soak is enough.

After soak period, drain and rinse fish.
Place fish in bowl and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. (This is optional – flavor is perhaps somewhat better)
Place fish on smoker racks skin side down (if skin left on).
Smoking time depends on size of fish, whole, split, fillet, skin on skin off, quantity of fish and temperature of smoker, usually about 170-210 degrees.
Smoke for 4 to 8 hours.

Check occasionally, about every hour (As fish cooks racks may need to be rotated.) Change out chips when smoke stops, approximately two to three times or more. Smoke is good.
Hickory and alder are my favorites. But fruit woods like apple and cherry also work well. Saw dust or small chips are my preference.

When done, fish is golden brown, moist and should flake easily. Remove fish from smoker, let cool to room temp and enjoy with your favorite beverage.

What doesn't get eaten right away place in zip loc bags. Keep in fridge or store long term in freezer.

GVF
12-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Like Silver Bullets I also use a little chief smoker and smoking time will vary on the weather during the winter it can take up to 14 hrs.
Brine
1 cup pure maple syrup( the good stuff)
4-8 oz teriyaki
1/4 to 1/3 cup sea salt(adjust to taste)
Water to cover the fish(About1/2 gallon)
Mix well and add fish. I will cut large fish into small pieces but smoke small whole fish. I prop open the fish with tooth picks or put the fish on the rack belly down and open
I like to brine along time a day is ok no less than 8 hrs.
I also use Apple and cherry for my wood 4-5 pans is good.I really like the smoke on my fish
Some like their fish soft and some like it hard in the LC in the winter the bottom rack will cook a bit more and the top will be soft.Like SB said the size of the fish, outside temp,all factor in and your taste will dictate what you do.
Good luck and good eating.

and throw in freezer.
I have never had enough to do this if its around 2 weeks somethings wrong:D

Now something else to do with the smoked fish this works best with the soft style or canned Koke(YUM) take the fish and mash it up( about1/4-1/3 cup) and add it to a container of cream cheese(softened a little) and then mix in some fresh pico de gallo (or salsa will work) to taste(if you dont like heat tomatoes and onion do well) I like to add the chunky veggies last and try not to smash them into a sauce put some crackers down and stand back and watch it disapear

Full_Monte
12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Guys...thank you very much! This should get me started. One question...on the brining/soaking process, do you do this in a refrigerator or at room temperature? I can just see the local raccoons putting out the word to the entire population that there's a feast of kokanee sitting in a bucket at my house.

Kokaholic
12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Keep it refrigorated if your outside temp where you are are not cold enough to supply that.

bobco
12-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I found this brine along time ago and I have been real happy with it. It is a dry brine and you just pack it in and around the kokes. the origional mix had allot of other ingrediants but the most important thing is equal amounts of brown suger and salt, mixed together. you can throw in bay leaves, pepper etc, but the salt sucks the mosture out of the meat while the brown suger adds some sweetness, . put in fridge over nite and the fillets will be floating in moisture by morning, (make sure it is in a deep enough pan or you willl have a mess) rinse off filets and smoke until done. this gets the fillets real nice and firm and not mushy. just another point allways put your kokes on ice after catching them, if you don't you have mushy kokes :) happy holidays to all.....

SilverBullets
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I found this brine along time ago and I have been real happy with it. It is a dry brine and you just pack it in and around the kokes. the origional mix had allot of other ingrediants but the most important thing is equal amounts of brown suger and salt, mixed together. you can throw in bay leaves, pepper etc, but the salt sucks the mosture out of the meat while the brown suger adds some sweetness, . put in fridge over nite and the fillets will be floating in moisture by morning, (make sure it is in a deep enough pan or you willl have a mess) rinse off filets and smoke until done. this gets the fillets real nice and firm and not mushy. just another point allways put your kokes on ice after catching them, if you don't you have mushy kokes :) happy holidays to all.....

Great point keeping them on ice. I have always wanted to try a dry brine, just one question...do you use a particular kind of salt for this method?

GVF...What is sea salt? Also, the reason I package them "and throw in freezer" is I smoke a batch pretty much every weekend throughout the season...gotta save a few for the winter time!

bobco
12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I just use plain old mortons salt, I have not had anyone say they don't love them , get requests all the time at work to bring more in :)

GVF
12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
GVF...What is sea salt? Also, the reason I package them "and throw in freezer" is I smoke a batch pretty much every weekend throughout the season...gotta save a few for the winter time!
They sell sea salt here in the grocery store next to the mortons Its just a preference of mine I use it in all my cooking I used to use plain salt for years and I just started using it recently .Must be good to have that much Koke!:)

Great point about handling fish. On all the boats I fish on the fish is cut in the gills right after we catch them to bleed out and then gutted soon after and then placed on ice. We do that for all the species we fish for the fresher the better.

Full Monte I do the brine in the fridge I would not want a troop of coons feasting on my fish:)

HiTechKoke
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I forgot to contribute on this one as I spend a lot of time smoking during the summer as my neighbors know as well.

Fish smoking recipes and equipment are a bit of a religous experience in that you use what you believe in just like your fishing gear. I prefer the Big Chief smokers over the electric ones as I have both. Here's some of my tips no matter which one you use.

My general tips for any smoker are:

Always filet your fish whenever possible and take the skin off skin off for added flavor on both sides since I baste both sides of the fish in latter part of the smoking process. My other tips are:

1. Smoke it skin side down (even with the skin off) first as the juices will stay in .on the permeable part of fillet.
2. I don't rub my brine off and dry at all but that is because my brine is not a salt brine but more of a marinade.
3. The last hour I'll mix up a similar baste to brush on and rotate the filets (flip them) once to baste the other side.
4. Keep the fatter edges of your fillet to the outside of the smoker where the heat will be hotter so you don't dry out the skinner edges of the filet.
5. Space your filets evenly for good air flow with a good quarter inch between fillets.
6. Post smoking process I carefully spoon of the fish fat (gray stuff) from that skin side before I put them in the fridge. It flakes off very easily with a spoon down the lateral line. This takes any fishy smell out of the fish.
7. I leave them in the fridge for 24 hours before I vacuum pack what we don't eat fresh. It is actually better to eat it after 24 hours as the flavors permeate the fish better after being in the fridge a day in a container or ziploc. Same goes for vacuum packing, wait a day.
8. If you have a Big Chief get their insulating blanket they sell as it will help maintain better temperature.

Vacuum packed fish still tastes the same after a year in the freezer as long as there was no air in it.

Kevin

SilverBullets
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
HTK...Sounds Good! Would you mind sharing what your marinade consists of and how long you leave the filets in before the smoking process? Also, what type of wood chips do you prefer? That's a great tip on putting the fish in the fridge for a day before vacuum packing...I'll definitely try it out. thumbsup

HiTechKoke
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Sure... here's my recipe:

1 Cup Lawry's Terriyaki with Pineapple Juice (Safeway has it)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
Tablespoon of sea salt (optional)
Any spices you can think of just toss them in the mix.

Heat mixture until brown sugar and salt are disolved. Cool to room temp and then it is ready to use. Set aside a half cup of marinade if you want to use for final last hour basting. This is enough marinade for 2 1- Gallon ziplocs each with about 4-6 fish a piece depending on fillet size. I fillet all my Kokanee and Trout and take the skin off for maximum brine and smoke.

Marinate 24 to 38 hours in a gallon ziploc. Turn over every 12 hours or so and mix the fillets up to make sure they are covered. When ready to smoke just pull the fillets out and put them in the smoker. I don't really air dry them or wash them since this is more marinade than brine.

The last hour or so of the smoke I either use some of the marinade that I set aside or just mix up some more. I will water down the marinade a bit and load up on the spices if I want some kick. Use a basting brush and baste the fillets on top, let smoke for 15-20 minutes until the liquid from the baste is dry and then flip and baste the other side. This extra work is worth it as it will seal in the flavor last minute.

As for smoke flavors I have all the Luhr Jensen flavors and just switch off from time to time but I like the apple and cherry the best. Each to his own on that as they have hickory, alder and mesquite too.

Kevin

BROWNBAGGER
05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
My low down....
I have a h2o bricket smoker.
I don't fillet the fish just cut the heads off
I litely coat the skin in olive oil
season with Emeril's brand "Bayou Blast" liberaly
fill cavity of koke with lemon widges and garlic
in the water bowl fill it 2 full clusters of garlic pods, cut up
After bricket's are at full temp and fish on the grill
I continuely feed the bricket's with hickory wood over a 12 hour time
slow smoked to perfection.........................tongue2

I don't know how anyone can freeze kokes, I can't get a taste for myself before they are all gone. I think I will have to be real sneeky and try to save some for the elk hunt this year.

3RivrFishr
06-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Great recipes. Figured I would post something just to keep it going.

I use this brine as a basis for all my smoking. I use it for chinook, steelhead, trout and my favorite, kokanee.

2-4 cups of non iodized salt (2 cups is minimum for the "curing process" to work. 4 will give your saltaholic dad a good fix.)

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
1 tbs mapeline
1 gallon spring water
1 gallon apple juice

Prepare fish and smoke in typical fashion. Sometimes I will baste the fish during the last hour or two with a mixture of water and honey but this brine has enough sweet in it from the sugars and apple juice that it really isnt necessary.

mmmm...

skookum9
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
HiTechKoke, you said you skin your fillet's before you smoke. I would like to do this but always have trouble with meat sticking to the wire. What's your secret? Do you do anything special to prepare the metal? Or is your brine enough to keep the meat from sticking? I would really like to know because I much prefer skinning my fillet's over scaling them.

DLM
02-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's mine for all types of fish.

Brine:
1/3 C brown sugar
1/4 C non-iodized salt
2 C soy sauce
1 C water
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 C white wine

Refrigerate fish in brine - 8 hours
Remove and do not rinse
Lay on paper towels let dry like this for several hours
Smoke 6-8 hrs depending on how you like it.

Apply smoke for 3 hours, then maintain heat at about 140-150 until texture is right.

Rotate racks every hour

Can baste with mixture equal to 2 tablespoons honey to 1 tablespoon water while drying.

If you like a less "salty" flavor replace one of the cups of soy sauce with water.

If you prefer not to use wine substitute apple juice.

With my bradley it consistently takes 5 hours with an outside temp in the 70's

HiTechKoke
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
HiTechKoke, you said you skin your fillet's before you smoke. I would like to do this but always have trouble with meat sticking to the wire. What's your secret? Do you do anything special to prepare the metal? Or is your brine enough to keep the meat from sticking? I would really like to know because I much prefer skinning my fillet's over scaling them.

Definitely spray your racks with PAM or equivalent spray oil and that will do it. Also I always start them skin side down (which is skinless) and only turn them at the end so they stay in one piece and very minimal sticking if any.

Kevin

HiTechKoke
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey DLM - How do you like your Bradley?

I've been considering one for several your to load an forget mentality but want to hear from somebody on their pros and cons.

Kevin

Here's mine for all types of fish.

Brine:
1/3 C brown sugar
1/4 C non-iodized salt
2 C soy sauce
1 C water
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 C white wine

Refrigerate fish in brine - 8 hours
Remove and do not rinse
Lay on paper towels let dry like this for several hours
Smoke 6-8 hrs depending on how you like it.

Apply smoke for 3 hours, then maintain heat at about 140-150 until texture is right.

Rotate racks every hour

Can baste with mixture equal to 2 tablespoons honey to 1 tablespoon water while drying.

If you like a less "salty" flavor replace one of the cups of soy sauce with water.

If you prefer not to use wine substitute apple juice.

With my bradley it consistently takes 5 hours with an outside temp in the 70's

DLM
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
No complaints at all with my Bradley. Took a few sessions to figure it out but it was great eating the mistakes.

I am really impressed with the easy cleaning. They don't want you to use detergent or cleaner of any kind on the interior and you don't need to. A towel (dont use one of her good ones and don't ask me how I know this) with hot water and the walls cleanup great. You will never get everything off, but that is okay.

The racks drip tray and other interior removable parts clean up like new with a trip to the diswasher.

I have the four rack model and will be getting 4 jerky racks to double my capacity. I may also add a digital remote thermometer to use with meats other than kokes.

BlueBack79
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
here is one i started using. this is excellent. just did a batch of pinks that we caught up in the sound last sept.

2 cups water
2 cups orange juice
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups kikkoman teriyaki
1 1/4 cups of salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
honey

Brine from 8 hours to 24 hours. Rinse fish and rack dry until fish is “tacky”. Smoke with apple or cherry chips first hour. Leave in smoker until fully cooked/dried. baste with honey about an hour before removing from smoker.

lowe1648mt
04-20-2010, 12:18 AM

If you have trouble skinning fish, look into a Townsend Fish Skinner Townsend Engineering Co. Des Moines, Iowa. I have used one for years .
No fuss- no mess.Does not look like it will work, but it will.

skookum9
04-20-2010, 02:55 AM
No trouble with skinning, it's the easiest way I know to prepare the koke's. It takes just a few seconds and if you do it right you will lose absolutely no meat. I really like my newest fillet knife for this. It's called a Kommer's Big Eddy and it has a bevel on one side and is hollow-ground on the other. This makes it so it just slips the meat right off the skin almost like magic. A regular fillet knife works well also but the design of this knife eliminates some of the vacuum that can build up between the meat and the blade.

My worries were over the meat sticking to the rack in the smoker, but I'm going to try it with some cooking spray and see what it does. Of course, first I've got to catch enough koke to actually make it to the smoker. I'm a large eater and can really put these fish away. And the rest of my family is the same way. I remember the first time that I ever went koke fishing I had been invited by some friends of mine. When it came time to fry some of them up for lunch they asked me how many I thought I could eat and I told them about a dozen or so. The way they looked at me you'd have thought I had just told a dirty joke in a church. They had never heard of anyone eating more that 3 at the most. I just laughed and then proceeded to show them that a dozen was easily done.

trollmonkey
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Skookum I can put some fish away myself. Got to wonder what nut decided a piece of meat or fish the size of a deck of cards is proper portion size. I was wondering if you had a trick to frying kokes. I have had awesome results grilling koke fillets ,but not so much on frying them.

MackPrince
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I just had a batch of kokes turn out great without a lot of work. I used a simple dry cure from an oldtimer at deer camp.

For 5-6 kokes

In a medium size bowl comine 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 cup Granulated White Sugar, 1 cup Kosher salt.
Filet fish, rinse and pat dry .
In 1 gal. ziplock bags place filets one layer per bag. Coat both sides with sugar/salt curing mix. Seal. Place in refrigerator overnight.
Rinse cured filets and pat dry. Lightly season with lemon pepper or crushed red pepper. Allow to sit and air out appx. 1 hour
Smoke to your liking.

I generally use 1 pan of cherry wood chips and 2 pans of alder for 3.5-4.5 hours. If you need more cure, keep with the 1:1:1 ratio.

Guy
04-16-2011, 06:24 PM
This is the one I use for kokanee & trout up to 20” it keeps them moist and have had great feed back.
I fillet all my fish brine for 9 hours in the fridge then rinse fillets put on racks sprayed with Pam, air dry for an hour and smoke at 160 degrees for 6 to 8 hours. One hour before they are done I baste with honey. I have a big smoker made with full sheets of plywood and covered with metal roofing it looks allot like an out house. I leave them in the smoker for about an hour then start adding the chips that have been soaked in water I use apple, normally hit them with smoke about 5 times. For heat I have a propane burner that was a crab cooker works great.

4 quarts water
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup fine sea salt (Kirkland fine sea salt from Costco)
2 tablespoons ground mace
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dill seeds
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
Mix all ingredients together until salt and sugar is dissolved and put in fridge for a couple of hours take out mix again and add fillets.

skookum9
04-17-2011, 01:55 AM
trollmonkey, sorry that I didn't reply to your question when you wrote it, I guess I must have missed it. If you are still interested in frying some kokes but don't know how, this is what I do.

I first start with bone free and skin free fillets. I then cut these fillets into pieces of equal thickness. For example, I cut all of the belly meat off so that they can be fried together since they will fry very quickly. Then I cut all of the tail meat off from the thicker body meat since this take longer than the belly meat but not as long as the body meat. Then, if the fish are large enough, I will halve the thickness of the body meat so as to make sure that it cooks all the way through more evenly.

Once these preparations are made and the fish is freshly washed, I salt and pepper to taste. Once seasoned to taste, I then roll each piece in corn meal ensuring that it is completely covered. Some people prefer straight flour, and others a 50/50 mix of flour and corn meal. I like the corn meal because it makes the fish crispier and this is the way I like my fish. Once I have several fish ready to fry I get my skillet ready. I usually use vegetable oil but sometimes will use olive oil instead. I like to make sure I use plenty of grease, too little and I have trouble not burning the grease. I cannot tell you what heat to bring the grease to, I only know to go by sight and sound. I know that I want my fish to sizzle well when I first lay them in the skillet. Be warned though that if you get the grease too hot you will begin to burn your corn meal and this will ruin the fish you cook after that so you'll want to start over with a clean skillet and fresh grease before you continue after such an occurance. Your fish will cook faster and crispier if you learn to cook them with a lid but it does take more skill to do so without burning them.

From the cooking posts I've seen from others on this site, I'm quite certain that there are some who can give you good advice on the right temperatures to bring your grease to. But there is some joy in just playing it by ear and learning by trial and error as well.

When your fish are done in the skillet, make sure you lay them out on a clean dry paper towel so they can drain the excess grease. But it is at this time that you will really have to watch your fish closely, during this cooling process is when they really begin to disappear, if you know what I mean.

If you do not want to fillet your fish, there is another option for you that may not be as good but will be better than nothing. If you split your fish down the middle lengthwise, cutting right along the spine, you will allow the meat to cook up better than it otherwise would if you were to try frying it whole. It will still have the bones but at least the meat will be a lot crispier.

Again, I apologize for not seeing your question earlier, but if you enjoy this method let me know. I've not had any trouble with having too many fish, ever. This is the same way I fry trout, bass, bluegill, crappie, steelhead and even salmon. Of course, I don't think fried fish can ever compare to those roasted fresh right over a good alder wood fire. Best wishes to you and happy eating.

Skookum

BlueBack79
04-17-2011, 03:33 PM
here is my latest batch done about a week ago. i used the brine that i posted earlier in this thread. i didnt have any teriyaki, so i used one extra cup of brown sugar and one cup of sweet and sour marinade. i only brined for around 12 hours and opted not to rinse the fish due to a lessoned brine contact time. used hickory for my smoke. they turned out awesome!! king and a chunk of silver salmon. i had to eat some right after i pulled it out too. couldnt waittongue2