PDA

View Full Version : a frozen pig

Kokehead
12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
has anyone been up to the pig lately to see if the ice is starting to form up yet? I would hope so I hunted willard spur and there was a half an inch of ice 50 yards out from the frag lines. hope this is a sign.

TrophyBoat
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I haven't been up there for a month or so but from my past experiences it is one of the slower ones to freeze, i usually don't think of getting up there till mid january, plus this year has been warm.

Petty4life
12-08-2008, 04:43 AM
has anyone been up to the pig lately to see if the ice is starting to form up yet? I would hope so I hunted willard spur and there was a half an inch of ice 50 yards out from the frag lines. hope this is a sign.

in most years it usually isnt safe ice till hyrum has safe ice

Kokehead
12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Right on guys, thanx for the imput, I haven't fished it through the ice in 15plus years.

Petty4life
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Right on guys, thanx for the imput, I haven't fished it through the ice in 15plus years.

I've never ice fished the pig but have been up there to check the ice, but Causey seems to freeze first then i have a hard time driving to the pig when causey is so close

Kokaholic
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I remember ice fishing the pig years back when the limit was 24 kokes. Yes, they were small about 10 inches, but Damn, 24 in one limit was no problem. I had days when I did 24 fish in 45 minutes. It was unreal. I would go home, prepare and brine over night, smoke the next day and wa la!

Cmon pig! freeze!

TrophyBoat
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
When i was a kid (still am) those days up there is what turned me on to kokanee, when those fish would run through "the spot" it was a fiasco somethimes it would go on for over an hour and if you wanted a break you had take your pole out of the water( and yes you wanted a break) drop your bare lure down and up came another fish. it took you longer to get up there than catch your limits.good times. then they drained it and it hasn't caught back up, yet. I do agree with petty though, causey is closer and does produce a better quaiity of fish.

Kokehead
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
With out a dought about the quality comparison between the 2 lakes, but I just love it up there for some reason. but anyone planning a kokanee bash at either of the 2 lakes? if not lets do it.

Kokaholic
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, you had to take your line out to rest. None stop! yes, longer to drive there than it would take to catch 24 kokes. and it really didnt matter what you dropped down that hole either. They hit it.

I agree, Causey is closer and better quality fishing. And I will go there until the pig comes back if it ever does. Man o Man, that would be nice. Damn that was a mess of fish. I hope Causey catches fire and we can have some good days up there this winter.

Come on Iceworthy12

Petty4life
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
With out a dought about the quality comparison between the 2 lakes, but I just love it up there for some reason. but anyone planning a kokanee bash at either of the 2 lakes? if not lets do it.

Its in the worksthumbsup