PDA

View Full Version : When The Bite Slows...

SilverBullets
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
After a hot bite, what has worked best for you? Changing up to something with more flash and action, or going the opposite with somthing smaller and less attraction? Also, what are the first 3 things you would change to get the bite going again.
I'll get this started with what I have found to work at times where I fish.
Generally we begin the day with ball trolls. After the morning bite, we then remove them (at least on one side of the boat) and fish farther back. Some times it seems the flash is a bit too much, especially when the sun is high. The first 3 things I then change are usually...
1.same type of lure, but different color
2.more pronounced s-turns/speed changes
3.different type of lure

Petty4life
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
When the bite slows its time to anchor up and take a nap. LOL

MackPrince
12-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Given the fact that I haven't fished with sonar some old school tricks I often use when the bite slows are:

- Change depth with each pass (Stretched slinky trolling pattern)
- Adjust for the change in sunlight with more/less flash
- Change lure and flasher colors
- In the morning work shadow lines from the canyon
- Or if the freezer is still full I skip steps 1-4 and go to the nearest restaurant, eat and return home with fake stories about obnoxious ski boats.

Kokaholic
12-07-2008, 12:52 AM
I nap in the oppisite end of the Boat that Petty is napping in.laugh hyst

Seriously, All of what you have mentioned is all good things. Cant think of anything else that iwould do. One of the nice things about two poles in the water is a constant rotation. AsI change stuff around I run my stacked line down to the deep line and then a new color on the top line and rotate through until I find the right thing. Then give him hell with that,

SilverBullets
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Where I fish we can't use the ski boat excuse, only fishing boats allowed with the 10mph limit. The nap idea sounds good, I might just have to give that a try sometime!
I have found that after the morning bite, most boats leave when it shuts down and are off the water too early. There have been numerous times that by changing a few things, limits are always possible. Sometimes just a change to pink dyed corn from natural, or a different scent works. I have kept records over the past 6 or so years, and have seen a definite pattern as to the colors they prefer as the day progresses.
During a bite, I like to keep my set up close to make tight turns.
After the bite, in my experience, less flash and going back farther has put alot of additional fish in the boat.
Sometimes small things make the difference. I have found that just a little change in action is all it takes. The different actions between the hot spot apex and the protroll kokanee killer are small, but there have been days that going from one to the other (same color and pattern) has made all the difference.

HiTechKoke
12-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I nap in the oppisite end of the Boat that Petty is napping in.laugh hyst

Seriously, All of what you have mentioned is all good things. Cant think of anything else that iwould do. One of the nice things about two poles in the water is a constant rotation. AsI change stuff around I run my stacked line down to the deep line and then a new color on the top line and rotate through until I find the right thing. Then give him hell with that,

Hah! Well when I have the whole family in the boat the joke is my wife always says "how about I go take a nap ion the bow to get the bite going". The funny thing is a lot of the time it usually works because they all know I don't go home early unless we are blown off the lake. tongue2

I let the kids get creative in the tackle box when things get slow.... that's how we discovered one of their hand painted UV dodgers was actually a good fish catcher this year so it stayed in top rotation the rest of the year.

Kevin

oldguysrule
12-07-2008, 06:43 PM
When the bite slow's for me it is time to go fish for lake trout or bass. Never give up a chance to fish for anything I can.

Propnut69
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know what to do,as the bite never slows down for me,laugh hystlaugh hyst

MackPrince
12-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Must be nice Propnut. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.worthy12

Petty4life
12-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Must be nice Propnut. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.worthy12

don't do that propnut already thinks he is a rockstar. LOLlaugh hystfencinglaugh hyst

Full_Monte
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't know what to do,as the bite never slows down for me,laugh hystlaugh hyst

The bite never slows down for him because he's busy eating all the time he's fishing.

laugh hyst

Full_Monte
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Interesting...I was trying to say he's eating bananas on the last post, but it keeps inserting a dumb smiley over the word "banana". There it is again! Do we have gremlins on this site?

Propnut69
12-11-2008, 11:00 AM
"Interesting...I was trying to say he's eating bananas on the last post": Nope I never allow bananas on my boat,they are bad juju.

"don't do that propnut already thinks he is a rockstar. LOL" I'm a rockstar,but my groupies consist of my two granddaughters haha

actually when I posed this question to my buddy dickweed,he was the one that said the bite never slows down for him..I just stole his line.

Petty4life
12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
never slows down cause it never starts for d-weedlaugh hyst