PDA

View Full Version : California Kokanee Egg/Fry Update

HiTechKoke
11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Amazingly enough some the 1.1 million Kokanee eggs that were collected this fall have begun to hatch at the San Joaquin (Friant) hatchery. The remaining eggs are now being divided up among the American and Silverado hatcheries. This is the normal process every year so that in the event of some un-forseen rearing issues at any one hatchery there should be good viable Kokanee at the others. The eggs seem to be hatching out a bit early this year which is good because that means they will be bigger by the time they are ready to plant.

The cool part of all this is the Kokanee Power volunteers, led by our new director Jake Flohr, have put in over 240 hours of volunteer time at the San Joaquin (Friant) hatchery to maintain / process to keep the eggs healthy by removing the bad ones so they do not infect the others. These guys treat these eggs like their kids and are a very dedicated bunch. I wish this place was closer to me as I know I would be there helping but it is a 4 hour drive from my place. Hopefully I'll get some photos from the hatchery like I normally do every year.

Kevin

Full_Monte
12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Interesting...Friant is on the way to Shaver Lake. Do you know if they ever get eggs from the Royal Gorge Kokes to plant in California?

HiTechKoke
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll have to check Monte....I don't think so as only a few out of state supplemental egg requests are made depending on the number of eggs harvested. As I recall they have been from Oregon or Washington if needed. I don't think they needed any this year but I'm not positive.

Also as an update all the eggs hatched early December which is a bit early but it should mean bigger fish at plant time this spring.