PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge Concerns

Wyobraz
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't know how many of you guys have read the 2008 Wyo G&F Newsletter that comes out ever spring. I reccommend you all read it especially concerning the Gorge.

Things are not looking very good at the Gorge. The Burbot are starting to devistate the Smallie, Kokanee and Mack spawining beds and young fry. In fact the letter states that Kokanee fisherman should expect to see decresed success rates in the future, all due to the Burbot.

Here is a link to the newsletter.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/GreenRiver/GR_Newsletter_2008.pdf

Petty4life
07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
guess we need to get up there and put the smack down on the burbot to.

Propnut69
07-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Braz,thanks for the link. I will say that I have caught fewer smaller fish (12-16) inches this year compared to last. But that doesn't mean that I haven't caught any either. Last year we had a great population of first year fish. Them fish have now had a year to put on some weight,and now fishermen are seeing them turn up in good number's

What the Game and Fish said in this article is exactly what many of us said last year,when the burbot really got a foothold in the gorge. The illegal introduction of burbot into the gorge could have devastating results in the long term. Right now I'm just taking a wait and see attitude.

bobco
07-02-2008, 12:17 AM
from the sounds of it they have a solid hold now, guys were catching 30-50 a night this past winter ice fishing for them, nothing but bad is going to come from them, reported on the spawn beds in linwood, eating the crawdads certian to hurt the smallmouths......

Ryno
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Even scarier, we were catching burbot just before ice-off with kokes in their stomachs. Hard to believe and 18-inch burbot can get ahold of a 8-10 kokanee! It must just be the time of year, I think kokes move shallow into the backs of coves and inlets to take advantage of zooplankton blooms under the ice. Burbot must hang tight to cover and just ambush them as they swim by. Assuming I'm right, it makes me feel good to kill a ling!

Kokehead
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
The whole burbot thing sux. But time will tell.