PDA

View Full Version : Line Question for the Kokanee Experts

Lundman
07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I was reading the "Release" thread were someone said they use 6 lb test in their release. I have fished Stren 6 lb. test for 20(+) years and using it as your main line for Koke's at the Gorge is not the best solution.

Am I wrong that most koke fisherman using a setup that looks like
rigger --> dodger/flasher/sling blade --> lure/spoon/wedding ring/apex/etc.

Why would your main line to your dodger every be smaller than 10 lb.?

The most IMPORTANT line is your leader between your dodger/flasher/sling blade & your lure!!!

I have had GREAT success using 10 lb. fluorocarbon. as leader. And yes my main line is 14 lb. fluorocarbon which I can proudly say has handled every gorge Koke I have battled so far...

Before I get bashed for slamming 6 lb I will state this -- I have caught up to 8 lb steelhead on 6 lb test. The difference is the dodger/flasher/sling blade and the way the koke's use that as leverage to their full advantage. Now if your running your dodger/flasher/sling blade off your downrigger ball and have your lure setup to run just above the attractors then I would still go with 10 lb. test for my main line.

I have learned the you will loose much less gear and catch as many or more fish on larger pound test line - even if you re-tie after every fish.

AFDan52
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
This past weekend at the Pig, I was using 10lb Fireline as my main line and 8lb Vanish as a leader. This setup was working very nicely. I always use a Florocarbon for leader.

Kokaholic
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
This may sound wierd, I run 10 lb line on all my koke reels and 12 to 14 lb leader. An I have never had problem one!