PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Power in utah/wyoming

Petty4life
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
We need to get a chapter of KOKANEE POWER for utah and wyoming. Anyone want to spear head it? I would be glad to help out where i can. It can only be a good thing to have our own chapter

Propnut69
06-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I would be more then happy to help out in any way that I can. I know of all the good that kokanee power does for Cali and Oregon. Since both the Utah DWR and the Wyo g&f are putting monies into their koke programs,we don't fall under the same blanket of problems that Cali has. As with any thing this could change in the future,and maybe having a local chapter of kokanee power would help to stop this from happening. I have read that the President of kokanee power(Gary Coe) is having some health issues,and has had to step down until his health get better.

hillbilly
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
What does kokanee power do? I know thats probly a stupid question, but I would really like to know.thanks

Petty4life
06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
What does kokanee power do? I know thats probly a stupid question, but I would really like to know.thanks

Kokanee power (http://www.kokaneepower.org/)

Trophy Taker
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
I am extremely interested in being involved in our own chapter.

KokaneeReaper77
07-01-2008, 02:55 AM
I have contacted Al Millan and Kevin Smith they are going to call me this week with the info on starting a chapter here in Utah I liked what AL had to say about it ( Starting a chapter is easy. Managing and making it work is the hard part.) I will let everyone know what they have to say

Kokehead
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Right on reaper, thanx for the front work. Let me know if you need help.
Kokanee power will do great things for Ut/Wyo waters. Can't wait to see what happens.

4jimj@sbcglobal.net
07-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I am a member of KPower in Calif. It is a great group of guys that love to fish for Kokes and more importantly make sure there is a future for these fish. There are other Kokanee groups but, in my opinion, this is the best group. Not political and dedicated to the preservation of Kokanee. Here is a link to their web site:http://www.kokaneepower.org/

Propnut69
07-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Jimj, thanks and welcome to our little piece of the kokanee world. It's good to hear from a member of KP ,and get a inside perspective. Any words of wisdom or encouragement ,about starting a chapter of KP here would be appreciated.

Petty4life
07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I am a member of KPower in Calif. It is a great group of guys that love to fish for Kokes and more importantly make sure there is a future for these fish. There are other Kokanee groups but, in my opinion, this is the best group. Not political and dedicated to the preservation of Kokanee. Here is a link to their web site:http://www.kokaneepower.org/

Welcome aboard 4jimj. Nice to have a Calif, guy around here hope to see more.
will welcome any advice on getting our own chaper of KP here

CurlysLures
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I was just thinking the other day that Utah does need to have a chapter as well. I was going to contact them as well to see what needed to be done. I am defintly interested in helping out as well and will do anything I can. Let me know
You can email me directly @ info@curlyslures.com
Thanks, Jason Livingston

KokaneeReaper77
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
To keep everyone up to date on the KP situation so far I haven't had the chance to speak with Al or Kevin as of yet I was hopeing to here from them last week but I think the holiday weekend had everyone busy with there family's I will let you all know as soon as I here anything thanks
Don J.

Petty4life
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
kr77 ONCE WE GET THE BALL ROLLING ON kp I'LL CREATE A NEW FORUM HERE ON KOKANEEFISHINGFORUM FOR KP BUSSINESSthumbsup

KokaneeReaper77
07-10-2008, 03:05 AM
I finally got a chance to speak with Al Millan who gave me a ton of advice on where to start with establishing a KP here in Utah/Wyoming. He is very excited about having a chapter here. The first goal is to contact the DWR and see if they are willing to work with us and except our help through the KP organization that will be the deciding factor for us. If fish and game do not want us involved then we will be limited to what we can do. I will try to contact them tomorrow and see where we stand. After speaking with Al I am definitely convinced Kokanee Power is the right choice here in Utah and Wyoming. I am going to need some individuals to step up when this gets moving. We have a great chance to make some changes and insure a better fishery here if we take this opportunity and make the most of it
Don J.

KokaneeReaper77
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I spoke with the Wyoming Chief of Fisheries Mike Stone and the regional supervisor over Flaming gorge and Fontenelle Rob Kieth they both said they would support a Kokanee Power involvement especially for Flaming Gorge the demands they try to meet each year on Kokanee are huge. Just to let you know The burbot issue was the main topic from both I spoke with Rob for quiet awhile on what we could do to help out as a group and His biggest point is to catch as many burbot as possible there currently is no limit on burbot at the gorge. Keep in mined you can not waste them but please do not let any go I suggested possibly holding a tournament for burbot and he agreed that would be a excellent way to help out. So one state down one more to go
Don J.

CurlysLures
07-11-2008, 01:34 AM
That sounds great I would think that Utah would love to have it here , but you never know. Actually I was thinking the same thing the other day as i mentioned the burbot problem to you. I was thinking we could get a huge gathering of people to focus on and fish for burbot. We could get stuff donated to us and have a raffle and a bbq, and boil some burbot and eat them and have a great time. I have a place in Manila, that could sleep probably 8 people. Like I said I am willing to help in an any way I can.

KokaneeReaper77
07-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Right on Curly thats the kind of attitude that we will need I am going to be meeting with the folks from wyoming fish and game this fall and would like some other people there with me. We can go over a game plan on a fishing tournament with them and see how we can help the fish and game at the same time make it a win win situation.

CurlysLures
07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Can we coin it the 1st ANNUAL BURBOT BASH?

KokaneeReaper77
07-11-2008, 04:53 AM
thumbsup Sounds good to me

Petty4life
07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
let me know what you need help with Don and ill be there. I would be up for a burbot bash anytimefencing

KokaneeReaper77
07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I talked with Utah fish and game biologist Lowel Marsh for Flaming Gorge today he was optimistic and had some volunteer work for us in the near future on removing some beaver dams on sheep creek to help the kokanee spawn If we can get KP up and running I would like to participate in that would any one else be interested in something like that? Also he said they may have some work in henrys fork later this fall on egg collection he doesn't know for sure if they will need any volunteers but that may come up. He had some concerns about working with a outside group, in the past they have had other groups try to demand things from the fish and game I reassured him we are here to work with not against them he seemed pretty optimistic about KP involvement.

Petty4life
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
even if kp isnt up and running this could be a kff sponcered event.

Do we get to use dynimite? i know a guy named Achmed that would like to help out. LOL

CurlysLures
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
You know me im in for removing some beaver dams as well as removeing some Burbot. What is our next step as far as getting kp up and running?

KokaneeReaper77
07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Petty don't get too excited but he did mention something about dynamite:D and no I am not kidding lol Curly the next step is to get with Walt Donaldson or Richard Wilson of Utah DWR and see if they will work with us. Having spoke with loyde Marsh i think we have a good chance, After that I will get a hold of Al Millan and see what he suggests on how to develop a mission statement and all the legal aspects of starting a KP chapter.

Petty4life
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
achmed will be excited. stomper

ladyluck2
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Don you can count me in too, let me know if you need any help getting this started!tooexcited

Kokehead
07-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Wether it's kp, or kff, Lets all get involved with raising solutions in UT/WYO.

spiritwolf
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Count me in! I am willing to help wherever I might be needed.

Digi-Troller
07-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Definately a great idea guys. I, like many of you, have been enjoying the kokanee resources for years without giving back. I've caught some burbot... but thats been the extent of my real contributions (other than promoting the sport). I'd love to be involved and I look forward to helping in any way that I can. I've been doing service for the DWR for years as part of the dedicated hunter program. I'd love to put forth the same amount of effort towards our kokanee fisheries!

jedburton
07-18-2008, 01:41 AM
as long as my schedule permits I would love to be involved as much as possible,
jed

Kokehead
07-18-2008, 08:19 PM
This goes to show that we need a kp chapter here, I was talking to a friend in the dwr today and asked him if he new the reason for the small number of kokes in causey, and he said that the haven't stocked it in over 2 years. this makes sense. The fish I pulled out earlier this year were bigger than usual but fewer than normal. they are this years spawners.
The dwr ran out of kokes and money to stock causey.

KokaneeReaper77
07-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I spoke with Roger Willson on Monday about KP here in Utah and he was happy with what we had to offer he is over all the cold water species and lakes in the state and also gave me some info on tournaments in Utah he was worried about them being set up for weight like the bass tourneys and would rather see a length style on the gorge. He also said they will not support a tournament at strawberry for koke's apparently they do not allow any tournaments up there because of the strict regs and it is one of the few places to harvest eggs in Utah. So it is looking good for a KP I just need to get a hold of Al and let him know that the fish and game is on board for both states I left him a email on Monday and haven't herd back from him yet I know he has been pretty busy lately so as soon as he lets me know what we are looking at as far as paper work and the legal aspect i will let you guys know.
Don J.

Kokehead
07-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Great work Don. And a big thanx for heading this off. So are you volunteering to be the chapter pres?

Petty4life
07-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Great work Don. And a big thanx for heading this off. So are you volunteering to be the chapter pres?
I was going to ask the same thingthumbsup

KokaneeReaper77
07-22-2008, 02:37 AM
I will do it but I get extreamly busy in the fall with archery elk, hunting and rifle for deer then comes ducks, if you guys are ok with that i would be happy to volunteer

Petty4life
07-22-2008, 04:49 AM
im ok with it

CurlysLures
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Im ok as well. I have put all my time in fishing and not so much in hunting so I think there are some of us who will help during your busy times

Kokehead
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Put me in the same as well, all I do is work and fish,

JIGGIT
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
lets get rolling. a burbot demolition!!! think after its set the other boards should be invited amybee involve a tv station to show up.the dwr and the wfg get the word out bigtime. kill them all!!! ken

HiTechKoke
08-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I am glad to see you guys are looking to get organized in one form or another. It certainly can start simple and go from there. If you have any general questions about the Kokanee Power organization I can probably help since I am on their board. I discovered this Forum in a strange way yesterday and since I was recently indoctrinated (ie spoiled rotten) on a recent FG trip with the wife and Jared as our host I needed more FG Kokanee reports! I hope to get back there again next year.

The key for any organization is to have plenty of volunteers of course and setting up a board of course.. Working with your DFG is a really important step as well and it sounds like that has been looked into from what I am reading. There are many other steps to the overall process but with enough help it can get done.

Kevin

CurlysLures
08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes i am ready for the big burbot bash. Lets see if we can get a date set and git rid of those varmints. Also any more info on KP lately? Anything I can do?

KokaneeReaper77
08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry but nothing new as of yet I have been extreamly busy the last few weeks with scouting for my hunts in idaho and utah after the scouting trips I came back to mandatory 12's at work so I have been running my but off I will get on it this week in my free time I apolagize for the lack of info and I will get to work on it guys please bear with me thumbsup
Don J.

Petty4life
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry but nothing new as of yet I have been extremely busy the last few weeks with scouting for my hunts in Idaho and Utah after the scouting trips I came back to mandatory 12's at work so I have been running my but off I will get on it this week in my free time I apologize for the lack of info and I will get to work on it guys please bear with me thumbsup
Don J.

No problem Don, you took the bull by the horns and we appreciate it. Whatever time it takes we will live with it.

bobco
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
something to throw out for you Utah guys, the past couple of years the CDOW has had more eggs than they could deal with out of Blue Mesa. I'm sure a trade with Colorado for something wild from Utah is possible. keep it in mind when talking to your DOW folks......

KokaneeReaper77
01-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone I need to apologize to you guys. I have been so wrapped up in hunting this fall I haven't made any progress on the kokanee power I need to contact Al at KP and see what we would need to do if you guys are still interested in having one here in UT let me know and I will do what I can.
Don J.

Petty4life
01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Hello everyone I need to apologize to you guys. I have been so wrapped up in hunting this fall I haven't made any progress on the kokanee power I need to contact Al at KP and see what we would need to do if you guys are still interested in having one here in UT let me know and I will do what I can.
Don J.

Don, I've been in talks with a guy on the forum "Bduck" Roger and he was a member of KP in California but now lives in Harrisville, Utah he really want to be involved in getting it going you might want to get him to help ya with it.

HiTechKoke
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If you guys need any help I can provide some as well since I am on the KP California board. Al Milan and Gary Coe are going to know more of the nitty gritty details to getting set-up as this was done for Oregon last year. They are progressing nicely and were down in California as part of the KP booth for both San Mateo and Sac ISE shows which was great as they had a good deal of interest and increased their membership.

KokaneeReaper77
01-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Hey guys i just wanted to keep you up to date on the KP situation. I was able to get a hold of Gary Coe KP president today and i spoke with him a Little today about wanting to start a chapter in Utah/Wyoming he was excited about the idea and was willing to help answer some questions about the ins and outs of setting up a non profit organization. What I need now is a list of guys interested in helping me with this, it is going to be too big of a project to handle just by myself so if your interested please let me know thanks
Don J.

Bduck
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Don, I've been in talks with a guy on the forum "Bduck" Roger and he was a member of KP in California but now lives in Harrisville, Utah he really want to be involved in getting it going you might want to get him to help ya with it. Hi, this is Bduck-Roger. I wanted to 'clear the air' a little. I know of KP from reading it on a website. I am also from Calif. and have been in Utah for the past 10 yrs. I was not a member of KP in Cal. If I have mislead anyone on this matter, I am posting my apologies for this. I love to fish, I love to get high on 'KOKES'. Therefore, please except my apologies for any misunderstandings. I would very much like to see a Utah/Wyo chapter of KP here. I am available to help out with whatever I can to make KP work. After all I'm facing a retirement this year and I'll be looking to invest time into my oncoming career(fishing). Bduck

KokaneeReaper77
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Well we got three guys that have volunteered so far and that's not enough to get this off the ground I think there isn't enough interest in KP to make it work in my opinion so I am going to step away from this and let some one else take the lead if they would like. I would also like to say thanks to everyone who offered to help out and I think it would be a great to have a KP here in UT/WY
Thanks
Don J.

dunnigan jim
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi I just heard this thread today. I'm sorry to hear that Kokaneereaper is stepping down from trying to start a KOKANNE POWER CHAPTER. I have been a member of the KP CA. for a few yrs now and have found it to be a GREAT org. For those of you who have not gone to the web site should. It does take a lot of planning and volunteers to do this , but the overall out come will be well worth the effort. There will be a group of us from CA. going the the gorge in July this yr to fish . Some of them have been there and talked very highly of the great Kokanee fishing. If anyone wants to talk to me about the great things KP has done just ask me. The Oregon chapter started a yr ago so maybe contact there board and see how they got started. I'm sure Gary Coe or Al Millan will be a great help also. I see so many of the people that posted replies are enterested and I think you can get enuff volunteers to get this off the ground . It looks like kokaneereaper has done a lot of the first steps to getting this going. SO MAYBE HE CAN BE SWEET TALKED BACK INTO IT. If he can find the time and the support from a few of you UT/WYO anglers . My 2 cents . JIM D

Ryno
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Well we got three guys that have volunteered so far and that's not enough to get this off the ground I think there isn't enough interest in KP to make it work in my opinion so I am going to step away from this and let some one else take the lead if they would like.

Don, I hope you will reconsider. You're obviously a concerned kokanee angler, and you have every right to be. The kokanee population in the Gorge is a result of natural recruitment and more recently hatchery production. Even with increased stocking efforts by Utah Division of Wildlife, Wyoming Game and Fish and the Fish and Wildlife Service over the last few years, kokanee abundance on FGR continues to decline. There is going to be a lot of work to do in the next several years which will take many hands. By observing the "Kokanee Power" website you can see what can be accomplished with the assistance of angler groups. Utah/Wyoming will need the same type of response whether it comes in the form of predator removal projects (for example the Burbot Bash by BFT) or assistance with kokanee collections/egg takes as seen in other states.

It may be good to take your ideas to other forums(?) or groups, in hopes to find more help. I did a quick count on the KFF member list and came up with 247 members, of which 40 are from UT and 4 are from WY. That's not a very big pot to choose from. Anyways, that's my 2 cents and I appreciate your efforts. I'm also willing to help where I can. Thanks, Ryno

Kokehead83
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I live in CO but would love to be involved in any action to exspand KP out here either in UT, WY or even CO. I honestly don't have much free time, but would love to use what free time I have to help. With that being said I would be more than willing to partner up with someone to get things started.

Ben

Petty4life
02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
just a thought but instead of a 2 state chaper we get something like a "Mountain West Chapter" Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho. Just thinking outloudthumbsup

Kokehead83
02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I think that is a great idea. How about we get a list of guys that want to do this then say we pick a weekend to meet up at a some what central location fish you know we got to do that then have a meal(few beers) and talk about what we need to do to get this started. Maybe a monthly bi monthly meeting until this is an official thing. I'm good at organization but I don't know this area nor do I know who to contact from KP in CA and DOW in the area. I have only been in CO for just over a year.

Ben

CurlysLures
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I am still interested in getting things going for KP I don't have a whole lot of free time with running the business and all but like you I am willing to use any of it for KP.

Stanson
07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
There is two Koknaee foundation in California and I will list both of them and they do the same job. you can join both if you like they both work with the CDFG they provide volunteers the premote the Koknaee fisheries in California and funds through derbys like the one just held At New Melones Res.

One is Kokanee Power (Central California Inland Fisheries Kokanee and salmon Foundation INC) their wed site is www.kokaneepower.org

and the other is CIFFI (California inland fishiers foundation INC.
there web site is www.Kokanee.org

check them out and tell me how they differ from one another seems like there doing the same job CIFFI is the pioneers in California, both do great work in California

Calinornia Kokanee fisheries are done by Volunteers rasing funds from derbys and raffles for the CDFG to Raise Kokanee and trout to plant in lakes through out the state and or

Now California only as two lakes that Kokanee produce naturally and in oct the CDFG with the help of the many Volunteers from CIFFI collect eggs from Taylor Creek Lake Tahoe and in the Truckee River off Stampede Lake Kokanee power Volunteers takes care of the Truckee River Kok eggs. they are raised in Hatcheries until they are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. So some time this month they should be planting Kokanee in the lakes and that will be posted soon on CIFFI Wed Site, And the Koknaee power wed site

HiTechKoke
07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Just a few updates to your post ... no dis-respect meant and just want to make sure people have the updated info on lakes and other items.. Both organizations do basically the same things in supporting the fishery from trout pens to collecting Kokanee and great causes usually related to fishing and kids and those with special needs. There are so many lakes in California that having two organizations helps cover a lot of ground from Shasta to Fresno and it give people more opportunity to join in derby fun while supporting the causes at the same time. Many members belong to both organizations as I do as they are both volunteers organizations so funding goes back and nobody gets paid.

California has a number of lakes that produce naturally which include:

Whiskeytown
Bucks Lake
Pardee
Melones (likely)
Bullards (on good water years but they have been MIA now for 2 years even with plants)
Tahoe (Taylor Creek)
Stampede
What other ones did I forget?

Tahoe and Stampede is where the DFG collects the eggs and they call up and coordinate with both organizations to help as we all know it can't be done by the DFG alone with their limited staff and funding. I finally was able to participate at the Truckee Stampede collection and it was a lot of fun. A sample report of this is here:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=164139

and the subsequent report on them here:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=1641

Hopefully I can help again as it is a great learning experience for the kids and everyone involved. All the eggs get sent down to San Joaquin hatchery where an extremely dedicated group of volunteers take care of the eggs until they hatch and things get more automated and then the fry are split up to other hatcheries to grow until they are delivered to their respective regions.

As for Kokanee plants that was done in the late spring when the water temp at the hatchery starts rising too high as well as the right temperature at the lakes they plant (before it gets too warm as well) They were a lot bigger this year than normal for the plants with fish into the 2 and some nearly 3 inches which they considered a really great year of quality eggs and fish. The spreadsheet of plant numbers is usually out by now from the DFG so the numbers should be coming soon and I'll check into it via my contacts.

Back to the topic of getting an organization going for Utah / Wyoming - all it takes is a group of dedicated volunteers that can get together and organize a bit and then grow from there. Geographically it is a bit tougher for Wyoming / Utah since it is spread out quite a bit.

Kevin

HookJaw
07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I talked with Utah fish and game biologist Lowel Marsh for Flaming Gorge today he was optimistic and had some volunteer work for us in the near future on removing some beaver dams on sheep creek to help the kokanee spawn If we can get KP up and running I would like to participate in that would any one else be interested in something like that? Also he said they may have some work in henrys fork later this fall on egg collection he doesn't know for sure if they will need any volunteers but that may come up.

If you get things moving and plan some dates for volunteer work at Sheep Creek/Henrys Fork I would willing to help out for sure. Let get the KP going!
thumbsup

Im4kokanee
07-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I've got a pretty full schedule this year but I will help out where I can...

dubob
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Can we coin it the 1st ANNUAL BURBOT BASH?Well, maybe. BFT had a BB last January so I'm not sure if you could rightly call it the 1st. But whatever it's called, having it is a good thing.

Stanson
07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
I dont think Bullards bar belongs on that list and were is folsom lake but again the only two lake that produce eggs for the CDFG is tahoe and Stampede tayor creek and Truckee River that is were all of the kok eggs come from, the other lakes may or may not produce it depends on who you ask. were may be some natural lake spond but thats not were the CDFG get there eggs from to supply the other lakes in California...