PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Aluminum

MackPrince
11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I've got a 1960's boat and am planning to clean up and polish the aluminum. I'm wondering if anyone has some pointers on things to use, or things to avoid.

Full_Monte
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Is the boat an aluminum boat, or a fiberglass boat with some aluminum trim?

SilverBullets
11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
I go over the aluminum Smokercraft Alaskan a couple times a year with Mothers aluminum polish. It takes alot of elbow grease, but looks like a mirror finish afterwards. You might check into a product called Shark Hide, heard good things about it. I think it's like a acid bath process.

MackPrince
11-14-2008, 09:15 PM
It is a full aluminum Sea Nymph. I gave the boat an acid wash in August to help remove the mineral deposits. Do you use a Powerball or regular polishing pad with the Mother's? About how long does it take on the Smokercraft?

When I looked into a full Shark Hide restoration it was more than the boat but I hear good things too.

SilverBullets
11-15-2008, 12:34 AM
It is a full aluminum Sea Nymph. I gave the boat an acid wash in August to help remove the mineral deposits. Do you use a Powerball or regular polishing pad with the Mother's? About how long does it take on the Smokercraft?

When I looked into a full Shark Hide restoration it was more than the boat but I hear good things too.

I just use rags (like waxing the truck), takes about 2 hours. Moisten the cloth before useing with the polish, and don't let it sit on there too long. Might have to go over it a couple times if in bad shape. Afterwards, a good wax helps keep it looking good.thumbsup

Full_Monte
11-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I go over the aluminum Smokercraft Alaskan a couple times a year with Mothers aluminum polish. It takes alot of elbow grease, but looks like a mirror finish afterwards. You might check into a product called Shark Hide, heard good things about it. I think it's like a acid bath process.

My old aluminum boat has never been polished. When I bought it, it was painted camo except for the bottom. I repainted it inside and out a few years ago, except for the bottom.

Wouldn't an acid bath process remove aluminum as well as corrosion?