PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Releases

Petty4life
06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
:)What kind of downrigger releases do you use? I've used just about every release out there including the rubberband release, and i like the yellow offshore releses with 24in cable on them

AFDan52
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
I like the OffShore brand also, but I'm always looking for something else.

Kokehead
06-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I second that petty, after using them up at the pig...

Propnut69
06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
This year I have been experimenting with the small adjustable releases from Seps. So far they have worked great ,very few false releases. The pinch pads hold good,but because of the adjustable tension they release well when they should. They have about a 14 inch leader ,which really helps to avoid tangles when making sharp turns.

Kokaholic
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Yellow off shores

Trophy Taker
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I use the adjustable Shasta releases on my downrigger weights retied with 18" coated steel leader, they take a little getting use too but once you have them dialed in it takes all the guess work out of where to hook them. The two biggest keys to using them is to twist the line a few times then put the loop end into the release and using line that has the same diameter on all of my reels so you don't have to adjust them each time.

On my shuttle hawks I use the yellow offshore releases, to avoid the guesswork on where to hook them, I make sure the spring is all the way forward then I use a fine tipped sharpie to mark the "sweet spot" on the pads. It makes hooking them up a snap and keeps the line consistently in the zone.
On my shuttle hawks I use the yellow offshore releases

Stryker
07-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Yellow Off-Shore on the downrigger ball. Shasta releases on the Shuttle Hawk. But as Trophy Taker said, you're better off using all the same diameter line when using the Shasta releases so there is no re-adjusting of the tension on them.

bobco
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
white offshore or-4? walleye release, 6lb line has been a great release, used to use the rubberbands but had to use heaveir line and broke line way to often. sometimes have to give a yank when fish is on but no often.anybody no of where you can get Gizmo stackers, little plastic stackers that go directly on cable, love them but only have 1 left???

SummitRealtor
04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
This being my first post - just a quick intro:

I live in Summit County Colorado and have not fished since I was a kid. But I want to learn this summer to fish the local lakes and rivers for Kokanee and Trout. Waters in this area are supposed to be pretty good and apparently this spring is off to a great start.

I have read a ton online in the past few weeks and think I am ready to begin on the right foot.

Now my question:

Several people here mention the Yellow Off Shore Tackle Downrigger Release. But it does not appear that yellow is still an option at

http://www.offshoretackle.com/downriggerreleases.html

So…Which is now the color (OR#) of choice for trolling for kokanee? And, should I consider something else for trout?

Thanks!

SuperD
04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
SR, one of us may be mislead but this is the release I use and you'll notice it is yellow and says, "by offshore."

http://sepsprofishing.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/40500%20Sure%20Release.jpg

SummitRealtor
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
That was quick SuperD, Thanks!

SilverBullets
04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Also, go to www.kokaneemart.com and click on "more good stuff" Ric is a site sponsor here and can hook you up with those yellow off shore clips...and a whole lot more! I almost forgot...Welcome to the Kokanee Forum! thumbsup

Fallriverguy
04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Yellow Off Shore. They are perfect for kokanee.

FishHunter
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Black Off Shore OR1's. I use these for stackers also.

Fishintrippz
04-14-2009, 09:33 PM
We make and sell our own using Scotty Clips..they won't kink or crimp up, you can throw them in your pocket and they come out straight!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/fishintrippz/February002Small.jpg

SuperD
04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't care for the hard surfaces of a Scotty clip. IMO, too like to cause frayed lines.

twisted lines
04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
We make and sell our own using Scotty Clips..they won't kink or crimp up, you can throw them in your pocket and they come out straight!

I have several scotty's and they work very well for me They don't always release and helps with the hook set as long as your not sleeping

Also, go to www.kokaneemart.com and click on "more good stuff" Ric is a site sponsor here and can hook you up with those yellow off shore clips...and a whole lot more!

That is the one; clips to the cable, but I have lost three of them hitting the up button a second time with the lawn mowers, when the chicken dance happens laugh hyst Anyone have a good answer for that other then dont hit the button twice?

dunnigan jim
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I use Vances releases and have used the the one's Kendra made for me. I have not had any line frayed useing the scotty type. I have had the rubber tabs on the Sep's releases come off.

dunnigan jim
04-14-2009, 11:16 PM
twisted lines I lost a few that way too.. I put another stop on my cable line , helped most of the time,, Now i have Cannons. i keep a good back up of releases in the boat

twisted lines
04-14-2009, 11:30 PM
twisted lines I lost a few that way too.. I put another stop on my cable line , helped most of the time,, Now i have Cannons. i keep a good back up of releases in the boat

That was easy enough laugh hyst Thanks And I do......

DC18FT
04-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Scotty user here.

Bryon

Fishon18
04-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Roemer Release.

Rrogers
03-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe a dumb ? But are the yellow off shore releases the ones that they use for planner boards. I have a white off shore release but only can find the small planner board releases in yellow. They are about half the size of my white one. They do have adj from light to hard by moving the spring.

SilverBullets
03-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Maybe a dumb ? But are the yellow off shore releases the ones that they use for planner boards. I have a white off shore release but only can find the small planner board releases in yellow. They are about half the size of my white one. They do have adj from light to hard by moving the spring.

Yes... same ones.
http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR10.html

SuperD
03-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Rrogers, did you click on the link in reply #9?

Rrogers
03-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Thanks silver bullets. Have you ever used the chamberlain releases or do you think the simple offshore release are a better choice.

Rrogers
03-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Ya SuperD I did see them there. I was down at my loc tack store and seen them for $17.00 but was confused on the one I was to get thought they were the same size as the white ones I have. I now know I was holding the right ones thanks for your help. Maybe they will help stop with all the free 30 min rides I give them small koks on the dodger

DLM
03-13-2013, 09:50 AM
yellow off shore for me, you can find replacement pads at your tackle stores in the planer board section. I have releases that are 4-5 years old, just replace the pads when they get hard.

SuperD
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks silver bullets. Have you ever used the chamberlain releases or do you think the simple offshore release are a better choice.
Some of my friends have Chamberlain releases on their boats and I really like them. I'd run out and buy them if they weren't so expensive. My wish list is always pretty long so giving up $80 for releases isn't one of my highest priorities. But if someone gave me some, they'd go on the riggers immediately.

rainORsnow1
03-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I run two Scotty mini releases and four Shasta releases. I swear by the Shasta releases. I love the adjusting screw. But the only complaint is I can't run mono on them very well without false releases. Hence why I run two Scotty's. All my rods are spooled with braid except two anyways. Works out well. I just bought two of those shuttle hawks and they come with a Shasta release. Can't wait to use them at either green peter or LBC Saturday!

Lund troller
03-19-2013, 11:03 PM
I also use Scotty releases haven't had any line problems .

dragonfly
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
I have been using chamberlains going on my forth year and when you are stacking 8 poles you need something that is fast and consistent and doesn't false trip other wise it is a night mare and I probably wouldn't run that many rods if I had to relie on pincher's. the other advantage is any body can set them even the kids and get the same exact results every time and not worry about getting them to far in or to close to the edge and false tripping or dragging a fish around the lake when you could be catching fish. I know I used pinchers for over 15 years and thought they were the only way until I used the chamberlains and now I would never go back. dfly

calamari
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
I see only one other person likes the Roemers but count me as one too. They are adjustable from kokanee to marlin with the same release, they stack and when working correctly will automatically drop down the wire as you retrieve the ball ready for restacking, and there is no sawing or pulling on the line like from a wire attachment loop or clothes pin style release. The line is gripped in a rubber jaw and either you or the fish pulls a trigger that releases it from those jaws instead of pulling it against the friction of the jaws to get a release.

http://www.roemerrelease.com/

http://www.coldwatertackle.com/trolling/downrigger-releases/roemer

Trackerg
03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
I use the Black's releases. Similar to the Chamberlain but considerably cheaper. about 9 or 10 bucks..they have stackers. I use rubber bands for the release and set the trip tension on the Black's a little higher just in case. Ive tested the rubber band breaking strength from 4.5 lbs. to about 6 lbs....using #16, 18, and 19 rubber bands. Last summer I used # 32's and I wound up training a couple Kokes how to lead like a horse. Cant wait to try the new rubber bands.

smokepoles
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Get the Chamberlains. You will never regret it.

dragonfly
03-20-2013, 10:38 PM
I looked at the blacks before buying the chamberlains and didn't like the thought having to deal with the rubber bands every time a fish tripped the release or worse yet remembering to buy and bring them 101duh101. the chamberlains are under $19.00 bucks now and felt it was like the old GM commercial 'you can pay me now or you can pay latter' sort of deal. if you count your time going and getting the rubber bands and costs over the life of the release I thought the chamberlain was the better value. I have 3 that are going on 4 years now and they work like new. dfly

kokanee-lou
03-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I am a little confused by the rubber bands. I have been using both Blacks and Chamberlain releases for a couple of years now and neither one uses or requires rubber bands. Please clarify?

dragonfly
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
the way it was explained to me back then was you tied a rubber band on the fishing line between the rod and dodger depending on the set back you wanted and clip that to your blacks and if you adjusted your blacks release right it tripped the release other wise it broke the rubber band. I think the reasoning was it was to be a bite indicator. they didn't have stackers at the time and they may have something different now.so I went with chamberlains. to me if you have to look and see if the rod is bouncing your release or pincher isn't set right and you are dragging your fish. this is why I use the chamberlains they are consistent every time once dialed in. dfly

kokanee-lou
03-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the info d-fly, I haven't heard of that. I keep my Blacks adjusted so that a good bite will release and the koke actually sets the hook. The small snubber I put above the dodger probably does what the rubber bands do, not release the clip until there is a good bite? The Blacks requires a pretty good pull to release vertically, that's why I got the Chamberlains with horizontal and vertical adjustments. No problems and consistant releases. The Chamberlain stacker is amazing.

Trackerg
03-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Actually the way the Blacks release is designed you wrap ur line around the pin 4 or 5 times then clip it in the catch. with the tension set where you want...when the fish hits it trips the release. Another way is to loop the rubber band around your lineup from the dodger (however far the desired setback)..loop it in the pin and snap the pin into the catch. The rubber band is supposed to break when the fish hits. Here is a website that explains it.
http://www.michigansportsman.com/Tips_n_Trix/Science_of_Rigger_Releases.htm

dragonfly
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
trackerg, I saw the site and if they are relying on there 'special' rubber bands to do the work why not just buy a .15 cent snap swivel or a halibit clip and skip the blacks all togather? not trying to mess with you just trying to see the blacks advanatge. dfly

Trackerg
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
They claim to use special rubber bands lol... I bought #16, 18, 19 rubber bands at Office Max. see above post for breaking strength. Ive used the offshore, Sepps, and cannon clip releases, and still do when Im fishing shallow with downrigger (20 to 30 ft.) they are quick and easy. But it does take practice to figure out where to place line in the clip and the tension needed when going at lower depths. its aggravating dropping ball down to 80 or 90 feet with a clip and then it breaks loose so you reel everything up and start over. The advantage I see with the rubber bands is the consistency with release strength. If I want about 4 1/2 pounds I use the 16.....in deeper water with a little more drag...maybe use the 18 or 19. I dont claim to be a downrigger expert and dont take offense to anyone not agreeing with me on my preference. Its up to people to choose their own methods. Just throwing some ideas out for anyone interested.

dragonfly
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
trackberg the rubber band is a good lo tech aproach you could use with any clip, and stay pretty consistent. nothing was worse than just hooking up 2 rods and sending them down and have the botton one come uncliped or have them too tight and taking your fish for a half hour walk. that is why I like the chamberlains. dfly

SuperDaveMT
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm a big fan of the Chamberlain releases. I was a little bit concerned about putting a twist in my mono when clipping the line into the release, but I'm going to braid or nanofil on all my trolling rods so that concern is eliminated. I did loose a stacker when I grabbed the downrigger ball to pull it in the boat and the cable curled, so I'm going to add a saftey strap with some line and a clip to attach to the cable. I ordered some through amazon and they offered $30 bucks off if I signed up for their credit card so I got 4 for about $10.050 each.

Bduck
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I mainly use the yellow offshore release. Prior to was using Scotty's and have some Shasta releases. Not very fond of the latter. I keep a supply of pads for my offshore releases.

calamari
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Fishon18, they use rubber bands! laugh hyst

Roemer

trollmonkey
03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Aren't the Shasta releases the same or close to Dubro releases? The hard plastic pinch point looks like it would be rough on line. I,ve used

trollmonkey
03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
I meant to say we've been using Scotty minis for years with good results.

mtncat1
04-10-2013, 11:55 PM
off shore yellows are great.if you can get them with the clip only you can make your own cables very cheaply

SuperD
04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
For us guys with the yellow off shore releases, I just did a major overhaul of all my releases (8) last night and it only took about 20 minutes. I was starting to have a few more false releases than I'd like so on went some new pads.

If you notice more frequent unwanted releases, get some replacement pads rather than just buying new clips.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3219/pads1.jpg

dragonfly
04-14-2013, 11:32 AM
just get chamberlains and you won't have to mess with it at all, just a dial of a screw to fine tune laugh hyst laugh hyst laugh hyst but seriously if you still use pincher's that is a good idea. dfly