PDA

View Full Version : What's the story on New Melones?

Full_Monte
11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Hello!

I've been looking at the New Melones website and there is no information on fishing, let alone info on Kokanee fishing. What do you guys think of this lake?
Do you have any tips for someone who has never been there and is a new kokanee fisherman?

Thanks!

HiTechKoke
11-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey Monte,

New Melones is a great Kokanee lake and was one of the best this last year in terms of size (some in the 19+ class) and weight over 2lbs. I fished there for both derbies that were in the middle in the summer. There weren't a lot of big fish this year (due to the low plant in 2006) and tons of small ones in the mix so it should be even better this next. Because Melones is so big the fishing depends a lot on the water level and it was lower this year than most. Wherever you see a fleet is where the fish usually are but the main spots are always:

1. The Dam
2. The spillway (north of the Dam)
3. Rose Island area (across from the Dam)
4. Glory Hole point (right near the launch at Glory Hole Point)

Once you get familiar with these areas there are many more to look into as well. Every year I have fished it I have explored new areas as there are lots of coves but there has to be enough water so that the deeper water is cold enough for the Kokes. I could probably spend hours discussing other areas but the best thing to do is get the Fish-n-Map printed map for Melones and then see all the potential areas by contour as well.

There are a number of other Forums as well that will have Melones reports during the season but one good place to go for lake information is

http://www.gloryholesports.com/

Melanie Lewis is the owner along with her husband and they are great supporters of the Kokanee fishery and carry an extensive line of tackle from Kokanee to Bass. Make sure if you go there to stop at that store. I could spend more time talking about Melones personally as it was a premier Kokanee lake this year and has been the last few years. Now all it needs is a lot of water and we'll all be happier.

Kevin

Full_Monte
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
HiTechKoke,

Thanks for that! I couldn't understand why there was no info on fishing on the official lake website. It looks like there are some kokanee there, so that's cool.
I have a camper I tow the boat with. Is it possible to leave the boat on the beach somewhere overnight, or do you have to retrieve it every evening and launch it every day? Once I level the camper in a parking spot, I prefer not to move it....just fish. thumbsup Thanks for the help!

HiTechKoke
11-14-2008, 10:26 AM
You'll likely need to pull the boat as I don't think they allow shore camping at Melones as I have never seen it. Most guys stay at the local campgrounds at the lake and while some of the spots are close to the water it is usually a steep hike and not within visual range so unless you can lock everything up then you may be at risk. Never camp there during the summer (kokanee season) unless you are used to obnoxious water ski crowd in the campground. As long as you have an air conditioner you would be fine as it is a scorcher up there and I always stay at a hotel for the derbies that has the pool for the kids afterwards. Spring / Winter / Fall the place is dead though and lots of fisherman. Fisherman like to camp at the fairgrounds as well across from glory hole store as it is quiet but you have to take the boat out of course.

Night fishing at Melones for trout is pretty popular but I have not tried it.