PDA

View Full Version : Line Counter Reels

Kokonuts
11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Ive have an Okuma Line Counter & it seems to work ok for koks buts its too large so I dont like using it.

Are any of you guys using LC reels & if so which one? I am looking for something smaller.

Thanks....KOKONUTS thumbsup

SilverBullets
11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I use the Daiwa Accudepth model AD17LC. Been useing them for the last 5 years. While jigging near the bottom this year, I noticed the line counter on the reel and the fishfinder depth readout where showing different depths. The line counter was off by a good 12' with 50' out! Be careful what type of line and how much is on the reel, as it can have alot to do with it's accuracy. I think there is a new one out by Abu Garcia, Ambassadeur line counter that might be worth looking into.

AFDan52
11-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I use the the Accudepth LC 27s on most lf my rods. They are just a little too big for the the Koke rods and I am going to go with the Accudepth LC17's for my Koke rods. You have to consider your speed and remember that your line will have some arch to it even on your downrigger. So you have to allow more line for that. At least that is what my experience has been with the Linecounter Reels.

Kokaholic
11-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I have never used them and dont plan on it. I have always just ran some line out approx 100' or so, not exact. Always caught fish. Never has been an issue to me. Infact, Those of you that have talked about using them here are the only ones that I know that do use them. I am running Shimano Bait casters and love them. I think the quality drag is more important than how far back you are. Just my two cents worth

Propnut69
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
My LC reels are okuma -15's.These are the smallest LC reels that okuma makes. They work well,and I like having some idea as to how far my lure is out.I'm a terrible judge of distance,so these reels do help. The drags are smooth,and they seen to hold up well .

Ryno
11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I've got a couple of Daiwa Sealine 47s and Accudepth 27s. Hands down, my favorite reels are the Sealine 47s. They are big, but hold a lot of line, therefore having a fast retrieve, and the drag is far more superior. I wouldn't buy another Accudepth based on the drags. I have been told that replacing the drag washers makes them smoother, but I haven't purchased/tried any new ones yet. Some friends are running Okumas and say they are really good for the money.

Kokaholic
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I do stand corrected, I do have line counters that I use for other trolling, Wipers, macks etc, But for kokes I use the smaller Baitcasters. ITs all about the drag baby!

oldguysrule
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I Am Down With The More Drag The Better

Kokonuts
11-05-2008, 10:59 PM
When you are talking about the drag, you mean using it to lower the line with the downrigger, right?

I just put the reel in freespool and use my thumb instead of the drag. That might explain the reason I have trouble with the realse letting go.

Can you tell me how you use / set the drag when you let the line go down?

Kokaholic
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
I am talking drag for fighting the fish. As you probably know, Kokes have a soft mouth and if you try to horse them around, There easily lost. I use the free spool thing to lower my line down with the rigger also.

Propnut69
11-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Mark's right on the money about losing fish ,when they are being horsed to the boat..It's almost as much of a challenge to get the fish to the boat,as it is to get it to hit. Very few are the trips ,that a few fish aren't lost after hooking up. With kokes being as soft mouthed as they are ,it so easy to pull the hook out. As much as having the right reel helps. I think having the right pole can help to reduce the amount of kokes getting loose. Back in June I starting experimenting with a 7ft ulta- lite pole. One of the first things I realized with these type of poles,if ya try to horse a fish ,you would lose it. The parabolics (look it up I had too) lol, was so different then what I was used too. The way these poles load up,definitely helps fighting the fish. Couple this type pole,with a reel with a good drag system,it s good combo.

oldguysrule
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with propnut The fight is where the drag comes in to play and play they do.

jacksonlaker
11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I used an Ambassaduer LC this year. It is perfect for Kokes, and the drag is O.K. It is not a shimano, who I think make the best reels. But I'm not spending $170 on a Tekota. I planer board fish alot, and I need to know exactly how far the lures are behind the boat. If you dont want to spend the money on a linecounter reel, just get a tape measure and pull out one full pass of the levelwinder. On my shimano and my Ambassaduer one pass is right at 10 feet.

fireoff
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Prop,
I just picked up one of these reels. Can you tell me. What line are you running on yours? and have you found a certain weight that works best for the line counter? I have read posts that certain weight lines cause problems with accuracy. Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Doug

My LC reels are okuma -15's.These are the smallest LC reels that okuma makes. They work well,and I like having some idea as to how far my lure is out.I'm a terrible judge of distance,so these reels do help. The drags are smooth,and they seen to hold up well .

Get'nJiggy
07-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I use 12lb mono on my Okuma convector 15's. The reason I use 12lb is it is a little larger in diameter and tends to stay in the downrigger release better. I flat line with it early in the season and have never had an issue with it. Hope this helps....

SilverFox
07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Daiwa Sealines here, 47s and 17s, and I love 'em. thumbsup

mrmike
07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Well for kokanee I just went to the new digital Dawa line counters icv 15 I purchased two this spring I like them alot just ordered two more. sorry they don't give them away there costing $150.00. There sure is a shortage of LC on the market. Drag system is awesome accurate with depth I find works great. The Tekoto Shamano's just to big for the job.

Propnut69
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Prop,
I just picked up one of these reels. Can you tell me. What line are you running on yours? and have you found a certain weight that works best for the line counter? I have read posts that certain weight lines cause problems with accuracy. Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Doug

Doug,on my okuma's I 'm using Ande's 10lb test. Last week I purchased 2 Diawa LC17's, they are spooled with Stren 10lb test. I like the drag a little better then the Okuma's,as they have one more ball bearing. I don't like the Diawa's for having a double paddle handle as they don't make a single paddle handle for the diawa's.. The Okuma's are off by ten ft at 50 feet. They read 60ft when it should 50ft. The Diawa's are closer in they are only off 3ft at 50 ft. Ten lb test on both reels.

smokepoles
07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I use Okuma Convecter 15's with 12 lb hybrid. With full spool, the line counter is pretty close. Since I also use these for long lining and with planers (wipers, etc) the line counter is useful. The drag is adequate for kokes, although I think perhaps skill in handling them is more important, e.g. lowering rod tip when they get to surface.

jestfishin'
07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I was introduced to LC reels a couple of years ago by an old timer in Montana who swore by fishing with planer boards and LC reels. Learned a lot from him and benefited from his methods. I now own several LC reels that I use specifically with planer boards. Like Jacksonlaker, I think Shimano’s are one of the best reels made. I own several of them and swear by the Calcutta 150’s for Koke fishing. This year I bought a couple of Daiwa SG17LCA LC reels for anyone on my boat that’s kinda new to fishing and wants to know how much line they’re letting out. This saves me from having to let their line out for them. I was curious just how accurate these reels were so I marked off 100’ and checked it against the reading on the reel. Using P-Line 6# CXX line the reels line counter read 118’. I haven’t checked my Okuma’s yet but plan to do so soon. For anyone curious about how accurate the counters on their LC reels are, I suggest using this dead on method. Readings will differ for line test and line brands.

Kokonuts
07-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I've been using 4 of the Okuma 15's this year and they are working well. They are not top of the line but the price is right. Like most LC reels you have to check the line reading aganist a tape measure. I've found that the 10 lb. Power Pro line I like is just to small in dia. to be accurate so I switched to 10 lb. Mono. Also you have to load the spool to the Max. to make it work better.

I like having a LC reel to give a better idea of the line you have out. But I think its not anything that you can do with a regular reel if you work with it .

Kokonuts
n

southside
07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
. This year I bought a couple of Daiwa SG17LCA LC reels for anyone on my boat that’s kinda new to fishing and wants to know how much line they’re letting out. This saves me from having to let their line out for them. I was curious just how accurate these reels were so I marked off 100’ and checked it against the reading on the reel. Using P-Line 6# CXX line the reels line counter read 118’. I haven’t checked my Okuma’s yet but plan to do so soon. For anyone curious about how accurate the counters on their LC reels are, I suggest using this dead on method. Readings will differ for line test and line brands.

Thanks for posting your test results.

I just bought this reel and it states that the line out calculation is with a full spool of 14lb. mono.

I have spooled it with 8lb and have yet to get it in the water.

I sure like having a good idea of how much line is out when the rod goes off so I can duplicate the set up and run back thru.

Peace, Tom

fireoff
07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info, When I get my rod and reel I will see what it recomends then do a measure test and see what I got. I like using P Line so I was thinking 10lb.

Doug,on my okuma's I 'm using Ande's 10lb test. Last week I purchased 2 Diawa LC17's, they are spooled with Stren 10lb test. I like the drag a little better then the Okuma's,as they have one more ball bearing. I don't like the Diawa's for having a double paddle handle as they don't make a single paddle handle for the diawa's.. The Okuma's are off by ten ft at 50 feet. They read 60ft when it should 50ft. The Diawa's are closer in they are only off 3ft at 50 ft. Ten lb test on both reels.

Tater Salad
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I use the Daiwa SG17LCA, with 10 lb mono. I also have the Ambassador 6500 lc's. (akward with the line counter sticking out the side) Daiwa fits your hand and the rod much better. Daiwa has a great drag, which for me is crucial.

I also want a reel with a clicker, so I can put the reel in free spool, with clicker on, to lower the downrigger. That way you don't need to thumb it, and possibly pop off the release.

For me the accuracy of the LC is not a big deal. I just want to duplicate what is working. If I'm catching fish with 50' of line out, I don't care if it's really 50'. I just care that I can go back to the same spot.

That's what works for me ;-)

RalphL
07-11-2011, 11:10 PM
I use LC reels on the dr and with lead line. On the dr I know exactly how much lead I have out from the release and I can tweak it on the fly, with the lead core I have an exact number to go back to . I trim the ends of the lead line after every trip so that first "color" is never right. Just gives me a better handle on what behind the boat. Flat line with just an open face. Seem to work well for how I fish.

ctkid
07-13-2011, 06:07 PM
i use the shimano tekota 300LC, i think it is. works greaton my 8 foot salmon rod.