PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Koke fishing

davefishman
06-25-2008, 03:11 AM
I have enjoyed catching kokanee through the ice for the last ten years or so. Last year my Dad bought a boat and we experienced kokanee trolling for the first time (with no downrigger). My Dad lives in Idaho and I live in Provo, Utah. That is kind of a long drive for a few 12 inch Kokes (although I am guilty of making the trip). My question is this - Is there a way to fish for Kokanee from a personal watercraft? My personal watercraft is a pontoon boat outfitted with an electric trolling motor. I do not currently have a fish finder (although I have a couple hundred dollars of Cabelas points saved up). What can you guys tell me?

Kokehead
06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey dave, when I first started fishing for kokes, I started on my pontoon, and still will when I get the leggs to do it:D
But the best and easiest way to do it from a toon is jigging. I use Buzz Bombs
they don't look like they would work for anything, but I promise you, they do. Use the standerd kokanee colors and do as the instuctions say to do, then try different varyations.
If I'm not catching fish trolling, then this metod is my go to. It works, I promise.

davefishman
06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Kokehead,

Do you use a fish finder to find a school before you start jigging?

Dave

Kokehead
06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Kokehead,

Do you use a fish finder to find a school before you start jigging?

Dave

Some times I do, depending on if I'm fishing in areas that I'm not to familiar with. The cheapest finder I have found and still works great for this method is the fish buddys. They make an after market mount for these that are about 15-20 dollars that wrap around any toon or tube and buckles together.

Kokehead
06-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Dave, you need to come up to the gathering this saturday and I'll show you what I'm talking about with these buzz bombs.

davefishman
06-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Dave, you need to come up to the gathering this saturday and I'll show you what I'm talking about with these buzz bombs.

I am afraid that I will either be in Idaho for a family thing or I will be in Alaska for School (I do research in forest fires - there is a prescribed burn scheduled near Fairbanks this weekend). Otherwise I would certainly be there. How often do you have these get togethers?

Dave

Petty4life
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
How often do you have these get togethers?

Dave

Sometimes at the drop of a hatthumbsup

maghunter
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey dave, when I first started fishing for kokes, I started on my pontoon, and still will when I get the leggs to do it:D
But the best and easiest way to do it from a toon is jigging. I use Buzz Bombs
they don't look like they would work for anything, but I promise you, they do. Use the standerd kokanee colors and do as the instuctions say to do, then try different varyations.
If I'm not catching fish trolling, then this metod is my go to. It works, I promise.

I've looked for these buzzbombs and the only ones I found are about 4 inches long. I didn't think there was anyway a little kokanee would bite that big old hung of lead. What size do you use??? and where do you get them?

Petty4life
08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
there are buzzbombs that are only 2in long

JIGGIT
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Kokehead;560]Dave, you need to come up to the gathering this saturday and I'll show you what I'm talking about with these buzz bombs. this saturday???? wasnt it moved to the 30th? i sure hope so.

Petty4life
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Kokehead;560]Dave, you need to come up to the gathering this saturday and I'll show you what I'm talking about with these buzz bombs. this saturday???? wasnt it moved to the 30th? i sure hope so.

Ken that was the gathering at porcupine over a month agotooexcited

JIGGIT
08-12-2008, 11:32 PM
lmfaobt. sum butch!!!laugh hyst.laugh hyst