PDA

View Full Version : Z-Wing

oldguysrule
10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I was woundering if antone usae these light weight downriggers the Z-WING. If so how well do they work.:)

Petty4life
11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I was woundering if antone usae these light weight downriggers the Z-WING. If so how well do they work.:)

i've never heard of them

AFDan52
11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I've heard and read about them , but I don't know anyone that has ever used them.

halojm
11-02-2008, 03:02 AM
I've never heard of them either. I strickly a Scotty guy.

Kokonuts
11-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Go To :www.zwingdownrigger.com

What do you guys think about this one?

oldguysrule
11-02-2008, 11:47 AM
THEY ARE USED WHEN YOU RUN OFFSHORE AT 5 KNOTS OR MORE I WAS WONDERING IF THEY COULD BE USED AT A SLOWER RATE. THEY GIVE NO BACK PULL AS THEY ARE TAPERED TO RUN STRAIGHT DOWN. THEY ARE NOT HEAVY SO THEY WOULD NOT PUT ANY STRAIN ON YOUR BOAT. CABELAS HAS THEM. THANKS FOR THE INFO. thumbsup

SilverBullets
11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
The Z-Wing might be worth trying out. Only problem I can see is running ball trolls, I'm used to attaching to the ball and attaching the clip a few feet above on the wire. Not sure if attaching the trolls on the wire above the wing would throw off it's angle. Also, I sometimes check the water temperature in 5 foot increments useing the Koch Measurement Device, sending it down on the ball when boat is not moving...wouldn't be able to with the wing. During a hot bite, I like to get my presentation down as quick as possible while over a school, and at 1.0 mph it might take a while to get to depth useing the wing. I wonder if you would be able to track it on the fish finder?

Kokaholic
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks pretty interesting. The nice thing is that if you bought on and it wasnt what you thought it might be, You wouldnt be out a lot of $$$$.

oldguysrule
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I think I will try them. I may have to use the shower ring trick so that I don't have to keep bringing them up when the bite is good.

Kokonuts
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
OK>>OK>>Let a new guy in on the "Shower Ring Trick"

Thanks...Kokonuts...worthy12

Kokaholic
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Me Too!movie

SilverBullets
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Count me in also. Is this a type of Shuttle Hawk?

oldguysrule
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
YOU USE IT JUST LIKE A DOUBLE SNAP SWIVEL.tHE ANGLE AT WHITCH THE LINE GOING DOWN WILL LET IT RUN DOWN TO THE WEIGHT. I HAVE ONLY DONE THIS AT 5 KNOTS OR MORE SO AT A SLOW SPEED I DON'T KNOW HOW IT WILL WORK. IT CATCHES WAHOO AND KING FISH OFFSHORE BUT ONCE AGAIN AT ALOT FASTER TROLL

Kokonuts
11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Do you guys use the Shuttle Hawk? How well do they work? I usually fish alone so havnt tried to stack lines yet!

Ryno
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Do you guys use the Shuttle Hawk? How well do they work? I usually fish alone so havnt tried to stack lines yet!

I bought a couple that were on clearance at Wal-mart and gave them a try last summer. I didn't like the releases that come with them, maybe because I'm used to the pinch releases by Offshore. I swiped a couple of releases off my planer boards and I've been happy ever since. They run up and down the cable pretty quick so it makes the most sense to put your most productive set-up on the Shuttle Hawks. Thumbs up from me! Ryno

Petty4life
11-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I use the shuttle hawks a ton. when stacking it is the only way to go i almost pray that the fish hit the lure on the shuttle hawk just so i gont have to bring everything up to re rig.

Kokaholic
11-06-2008, 11:55 AM
DITTTO on the shuttle hawk. I wont troll without one! they are Great. thumbsup

Once you learn how to use it, which isnt tough, I love it. Just like the petty man said

CurlysLures
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I will agree as well. The shuttlehawk is an amazing concept that allows a man to focus on the important things while fishing like drinking a beer lol

SilverBullets
11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I've heard talk of the possibility of Oregon going to a 2 rod stamp in the future. Where this is legal now, how many of you actually take advantage of it? Almost seems more trouble than it's worth where the limit is 5 fish. I suppose it would be an advantage when trying out different lures, and it would give me a reason to get out the Shuttle Hawks in the bottom of the tackle box and do some stacking. I don't target browns or macks, only koks. Other than fishing a lake with a 25 fish limit, are 2 rods worth it?

FishHunter
11-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I've heard talk of the possibility of Oregon going to a 2 rod stamp in the future. Where this is legal now, how many of you actually take advantage of it? ......... Other than fishing a lake with a 25 fish limit, are 2 rods worth it?

I buy a two rod stamp in both Colorado and Utah. They are worth it running two downriggers because I can fish at 4 different depths to locate fish. It is only $10 to $15 more, so why not?

Switching gears to shuttle hawks, I have never used one. 80% of the fish I catch are on the deeper rods. That being said, I get tired of bringing up the entire DR to re-set or change the lures on the upper rod. I have never seen one used and don't fish with anyone who uses them. Given that all the posts have been positive about them, maybe next summer I will give them a try.

Kokonuts
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I wish we could get the 2 rod stamp out here in Or. & Wash. but with the small limits on some lakes maybe not.

Would Shuttle Hawk would be good for 2 rods on downrigger? I am planning on getting a second DR this winter for my boat!........Kokonuts

Ryno
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
That's exactly what it's for, 2 rods on one downrigger. You'll attach your first rod like normal, just behind the cannonball. The next rod will be attached by the shuttlehawk. To make it work you attach a stopper (small plastic clip) on your cable a few feet above your cannonball. It should ride through your downrigger when you pull up your cannonball. Then you'll slip the shuttlehawk onto the cable and clip in your second line. The shuttlehawk works as a downplane as soon as it hits the water. It will slide all the way down to the stopper, riding just above your primary line. When a fish hits, you pop it out of the shuttlehawk and it should plane back up to the surface.

I typically run my most productive rig on the shuttlehawk, because it's so easy to reset vs. pulling your cannonball back up. My only issue with the shuttlehawks were the original clips they provide. I replaced them with some Offshore brand clips and I've been happy ever since. Hope it helps, Ryno

HiTechKoke
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I definitely love the Shuttlehawks and the whole family is trained on them... :-) Like most I replace the clips because I never got comfortable with the stock ones. I did have Gary Mirales show me how to do the twist and rig them and I think if I got it down I would stick with them as they do have a more consistent release. I replace them with the pinch type but I use a really long cable/tube - 18-24 inches so you can reach down to them and have more room to pull them toward you in order to pinch the line.

I added the 3rd down rigger this year, the Walker, and with the two-rod stamp and 3 people we pull 5 lines typically. The two rod-stamp is ideal since you can take a buddy or even kids and run 4 lines which helps when rotating and testing a lot of gear. Of course the more line you run the bigger opportunity for getting things messed up if a Kokanee goes wild and rins across and up and down.

Kevin

FishHunter
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
That's exactly what it's for, 2 rods on one downrigger. You'll attach your first rod like normal, just behind the cannonball. The next rod will be attached by the shuttlehawk. To make it work you attach a stopper (small plastic clip) on your cable a few feet above your cannonball. It should ride through your downrigger when you pull up your cannonball. Then you'll slip the shuttlehawk onto the cable and clip in your second line. The shuttlehawk works as a downplane as soon as it hits the water. It will slide all the way down to the stopper, riding just above your primary line. When a fish hits, you pop it out of the shuttlehawk and it should plane back up to the surface.

I typically run my most productive rig on the shuttlehawk, because it's so easy to reset vs. pulling your cannonball back up. My only issue with the shuttlehawks were the original clips they provide. I replaced them with some Offshore brand clips and I've been happy ever since. Hope it helps, Ryno

I have never used shuttlehawks, but it seems to me that if you attached your first pole to the cannonball and attached the shuttlehawk stopper just a few feet above the cannonball, they would constantly get tangled unless the lead on the second pole was only a foot or two.

I run the second pole 10 feet above the first pole that is attached to the cannonball and have a short lead (6 to 8 feet) on it so they don't get tangled if I stop the boat. However, my bottom poles are consistently my best producers and it is a pain to drag up the cannonballs everytime I catch a fish because I have to reset the top pole that isn't producing.

Any suggestions on how to make this better? I guess I could attach a shuttlehawk and use the top pole at the desired depth that would produce more and hope the bottom pole catches the real pig kokesthumbsup

Kokaholic
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
You need to run your 2nd pole on the shuttle hawk on your top pole to the rear of the boat. This way its always on top and it doesnt get tangled. I also always run my weight at the deepest I mark fish . As the day goes on and the fish go down deeper I start picking up more fish on my bottom rod. I then go deeper and keep my Shuttlehawk line in the primary column of where the fish are being marked. Much easier to use the shuttlehawk and re rig after I hook up on a fish.

With a little practice and use, You will really enjoy them alot.

HiTechKoke
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
About 12 feet of separation is what I run. Also I put the heavier dodgers blades on the deeper presentation otherwise if you play throttle games like I like to do when the bite is slow then that top line will catch on to the bottom one. The only difference is I run the deep lines to the back of the boat and the shuttlehawk ones to the sides but that is just what I am used to.

Kokaholic
01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I also run a 10 foot diffrence in depths. run my botttom lines out further. And run one rigger at a 5 foot different depth. this way I have a line every 5 foot in depth. This has worked well for me. thumbsup

fish-on-bend
05-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm bumping this thread because it got off topic and I want to know if anyone on here has used the Z-wing?

dbcfr
06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, I have in the ocean they work at faster trolling speeds quite well but they have 2 problems (1) they spiral up when retrived (2) they produce a lot of down force so make sure your downrigger mount is sound
Dave B