Thread: Summer Time Jigging?

Default Summer Time Jigging?

In the last 2 days I've seen 2 threads where our members are fishing from inflatable rafts. I know there are a share of you out there that jig for kokanee and I thought a thread dedicated to jigging would be helpful for those as well as guys in boats that have never used this technique before. So, can we get you guys/gals that jig to spill it on this thread so I can add it to the FAQ's?

Thanks!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I would like to see that I have never jigged

51 views and no takers? Cmon folks don't be shy! Spill the beans!
    “No man is born an Artist nor an Angler.”
    Izaak Walton

For vertical jigging you'll want a designated jigging rod...one with a sensitive tip and enough backbone for a solid hook-set matched up to a spinning reel loaded with no stretch braid. I use a med-light Berkley Tactix drop shot/finesse TXS661MLF 6'6" with a Shimano reel loaded with Tuff-Line XP Indicator color metered braid with 10' of 6lb Maxima Ultragreen leader. The braid is a different color every 10' and is the diameter of 6lb mono. Useing this braid makes getting to the depth where their showing up on the fishfinder fast and accurate. A good fishfinder is needed when jigging...it's a waste of time jigging over an area where there's no fish. I've had days while anchored up where the kokes move through every 5-10 minutes in bunches right along the bottom like it was a super highway. More often than not each time they showed up on the fishfinder screen i'd get a hit.
    There's a few ways to vertical jig. I usually start out anchored over 40-80' of water and target kokes just off the bottom or suspended ones with either 1/2 or 3/4 oz jigs. If the fish are moving around alot (not holding under the boat) i'll pull anchor and deploy the bow mounted elec to move slowly around the area looking for groups of fish. I've found that alot of days the ones caught right off the bottom run about an inch or so larger than the ones caught farther up in the water colume.
    Some days they seem to move out in the middle in deeper water and get spread out. That's the time to do a slow drift going after suspended ones with 3/4 oz jigs. I either move along with a slight breeze, do a slow troll with the elec, or throw the drift sock out when the wind picks up. I try to keep the jig as vertical as possible and when the line angle gets too eccessive i'll let out another 10-15' of line to try to stay at the depth they're at.
    I put corn on the hook and always smear on some Pro-Cure gel (usually kokanee special.) As far as technique I just lift the rod tip up about a foot and let the jig flutter down without tension on it...but be ready to set the hook!! They hit when the jig falls and anytime you feel something a bit different it's usually a fish. Your reflexes need to be fast to set the hook or they'll rob the lure of corn everytime. Here 's a few pictures to show some of the different jigs available...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0363.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	3512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0362.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	3513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0361.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	3514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	3515  

Aeswome! I will try this for sure. I wonder if it would produce more action during this cold weather?

Also, SilverBullets do you have a "go to" jig? What one would you recommend as far as style goes? Im not a "jigger" so I wouldnt know what type works more typically than others.
    Last edited by KokChris; 03-21-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    Izaak Walton

SB.. Many thanks.. Report copied and in the (try this) folder. Coupla questions.. Why a spinning reel and where do you buy the depth colored braid??

Quote Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
    SB.. Many thanks.. Report copied and in the (try this) folder. Coupla questions.. Why a spinning reel and where do you buy the depth colored braid??
    http://www.basspro.com/PowerPro-reg-...0229477/160550
    Basspro has it. If you have a Cabela's they should as well.

Id say spinning reel would be safer on the user. Sounds dumb but I always keep my thumb on my spoon of my level wind and if you have ever fished with braided line it will cut you eventually. Especially when you are letting line out and clutching the spool with your thumb. Ive had fireline burn through an eyelet on my steelhead rod and on a spinning reel it ate its way through the bail guide. Just a thought.
    Last edited by KokChris; 03-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Izaak Walton

SilverBullet is right on the money,If I can add, early in the season the kokanee are schooled up and easier to find not scattered all about the lake( like later in the season). It is probably the most productive way to put big numbers of fish in your boat. I use 5ft 6 inch graphite rods medium action(stiff Rods). with breaded line on open face reels. Let your electronic find a congregation of fish and anchor up find the color they want the dept there at. It is NOT favorite way of fishing for me. I have friends that put limits of fish every day jigging at ODELL

Quote Originally Posted by KokChris View Post
    Aeswome! I will try this for sure. I wonder if it would produce more action during this cold weather?

Jigging is usually effective where I fish once the lake is ice free and throughout the season. Alot of times i've found that if one method isn't producing there's a good chance the other one will.

Also, SilverBullets do you have a "go to" jig? What one would you recommend as far as style goes? Im not a "jigger" so I wouldnt know what type works more typically than others.
    I do have a few "go to" jigs but like to try different ones out. Every lake is different and has their own favorite colors. Try out jigs in pink/white/orange first and experiment from there. The Gibbs Minnows and P-Line Kokanator's/Laser Minnows are great choices. Be aware that the Gibbs are bendable...the P-Lines are not.

I like the levelwinds for trolling only. The spinning reel just seems more confortable and is easier to operate when jigging. Also, useing it for jigging allows you to cast to jumpers...i'll leave that method of jigging to Skookum9 to explain. As far as the colored braid you'll need to look around or contact the company. I found that I could special order it through a local Bi-Mart store and they ended up stocking it on their shelf.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.

KokChris, would that be the top guide? and is that kind of damage common with braid? Top eyes are easily replaced, bails are a lot harder. Have a Mitchell 300 with a spare large cap spool I will set up . As to preferences, If thats what it takes!!!! I've been known to put a bit of garden hackle on my fly rods..

KokChris, would that be the top guide? and is that kind of damage common with braid? Top eyes are easily replaced, bails are a lot harder. Have a Mitchell 300 with a spare large cap spool I will set up . As to preferences, If thats what it takes!!!! I've been known to put a bit of garden hackle on my fly rods..
    Yes. Was the top eye. I was fishing in freezing rain, the eyes filled up with ice and when a steely took my drift it immediately spooled me and the ice kepth the line against one spot in the eye. Im sure it was a 1 and a million chance that would happen but it happened to me lol.
    Izaak Walton

If you have not tried jigging yet.... what the heck's been keeping ya!
    Jigging is by far the most exciting way to catch kokes! They hit the jig and run like h-ll. You had better be ready to crank. Plus one more tool in the arsenal! Gets the adrenaline going.

I simply never had to. When i spot schools on the deck I make slow passes above them and usually do well. I will set up a jigging rig this season as I want to learn the technique of jigging up and down without spilling my beer. Is it possible to mark yellow braid with a marker for depth, Have plenty of the yellow on hand..

Ralph, a Sharpie and one tick for 10', 2 ticks for 20'..... etc. will work just fine.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for the awesome info. I tried jigging a couple times this winter had them on but I was using mono and had too much stretch in the line and wasnt getting them set properly. We were using swedish pimples. We did manage to land one fish, but with the correct set up it could have been more.
    I think I have a Koke addiction...Go Broncos.

would a standard weighted jig head(crappie style) with a hoochie skirt work??Seems right..

would a standard weighted jig head(crappie style) with a hoochie skirt work??Seems right..
    Anythings worth a try. Most of the jigs I use are 1/2-3/4 ounce and are able to get down to depth (40-100') fairly quick. Lures like castmasters, large humdingers, and crocodile's can be used as jigs also. I've read jigging with just a painted crecent weight works at times. Here's a few photo's of some stuff I haven't got around to trying out yet that are made with crecent weights, bullet weights, and barrel weights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0112.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0113.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	3530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0114.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	3531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0116.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	3532  
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.

i like those hoochie jigs

Why not use a crappie tube, I bonk a lot of Kokanee with them just not jigging....

Silver Bullets you have been busy and there looking good!

Default Jigging for kokes

Has any one used jigs from The Lure Guys they are a couple from Salem that make custom jigs for kokes.Great working,and looking jigs there the only ones I use with great results.

I've order custom jig from some folks in Salem in the past he produces them at his home they are very popular from the fisherman at Odell Lake I've got numerous amount of there jig in different weights and colors they work extremely goooood.

Default jigs from Salem

They have a list of lakes in Oregon with special colors for the lakes.They are very helpful and nice people. Fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by Lund troller View Post
    Has any one used jigs from The Lure Guys they are a couple from Salem that make custom jigs for kokes.Great working,and looking jigs there the only ones I use with great results.
    In the 3rd picture (post #4) there's a bunch of jigs from the Lure Guys for fishing Paulina. They're very nice people to deal with...even included maps of the hot jigging area's and which jigs to use at different depths and times of year. Their jigs are by far the best craftsmanship i've ever seen. I've yet to catch a koke on one though...too busy testing my own creations.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 07-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Had any luck jigging at Timothy Lake? We're going this Saturday 7/28,
    was planning to troll, but I think I could work up a Jigging rig as well.
    FisherKate

Good info here, light short stiff rod, 6 lb braid. Stay in touch with your jig on the drop, they almost always hit on the drop. We like light jigs, 3/8 to 1/2, they stay in "the zone" longer. With light jigs you need to keep the boat very still, (vertical jigging) this can be tough with wind. Work hard on your electronics and if you find biters, stay with them. As far as targeting your depth, drop your jig, free spool, lift the tip to 10 feet, drop tip, when line comes tight lift 10 feet again, repeat. Takes some practice but it is fast. You can also reel up 10 feet at a time to follow schools.