Thread: Downrigger install on a ski boat with V-Lock

Default Downrigger install on a ski boat with V-Lock

Shawn showed up this morning for his install and we were both full of excitement and anticipation. The project was going to be 2 fold, mounts and electrical work.

First step was to install the fuse block and get power.

And the the V-Locks
    Here you can see the rubber foot on the bottom of the insert to add support and prevent scratching.

Overall, the project went very well and without mishap. The big thing is that next Pyramidfest guys will have to work a little harder at giving him a bad time about using "his wife's boat". We already plan on having another appointment to do a trolling plate install.

Regarding the V-Locks, they are rock solid on a fiberglass boat. I was really surprised how stout the installation was. Chico get credit for buying a well built fiberglass boat. Reinell really makes a wood boat and then fiberglasses it. The side mount of the V-Locks went through fiberglass and plywood so it required minimal backing. I used 1/4" X 2" X 2" ABS plastic, 1 1/8" fender washer and a nyloc nut.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

One flatliner down, 10,000 to go!!! (nice and clean by the way - well done)

SuperD,

Sweet install, looks really clean! I've been reading some of the talk on the V-locks and I'm seriously considering them for installing downriggers on my boat. I just sold my aluminum boat, which had easy mounting opportunities along the top of the gunnel. My new boat is glass, so I'm considering track systems and of course now V-locks.

Curious, are the rubber supports you used on the bottom of the V-lock base just furniture castors?

Also, do you see any issues in the long run with mounting the downriggers on V-locks? It's inevitable, I'll hit bottom with my downrigger weights, but I just want to make sure it's not going to put any unecessary stress on my gunnels.

Thanks for any input beforehand, Ryno

Ryno,
    As I mentioned in my first post, the quality of the glass boat has a lot to do with how good the mount is. In this case, the mount is plywood backed and very, very strong. With typical safe clutch settings, there should be no problem with gunnel damage whatsoever.

The rubber foot is indeed a 1 1/2" diameter rubber furniture pad. I just thought having something under the V-Lock to help transfer load to the top of the gunnel would be a great idea. It looks like it will perform as planned.

Also, regarding track mounts, in the install we did today, the base track for a track system was wider than the top of the gunnel which went about 2 1/2" wide. I think tracks are a little over 3".

Thanks again SuperD. I think the quality of the glass would be exceptional with this boat, but unfortunately you never know until you dive into it. I thought seriously about tracks, but the gunnel width is a concern for me too and I would have to add some lateral support let alone anchoring. Tracks would be a great option for extra pole holders, moving riggers around, etc, but I think the mounting would be much more technical. I just want to get it right, before I start drilling and screwing.....

Pictures are great. Don't see why that won't work on any boat built reasonable quality.

I like them a lot, might have to look into getting some for our boat.
    What was the cost for them? Looked on the site & couldn't find it listed without calling them?

*ON EDIT*
    Was looking on the Australian site, found the U.S. One, for under $50.00 a set it seams like s good deal
    Last edited by TRUBBS; 10-11-2015 at 09:04 PM.