View Poll Results: Verizon or AT&T for best coverage in the mountains?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verizon

8 40.00%
  • AT&T

12 60.00%

Thread: Best Cell Service for Kokanee

Default Best Cell Service for Kokanee

I am considering changing cell providers and would like some input. I am primarily interested in hearing from the OR and WA guys as that is where I fish, but anyone is more than welcome to join in.

I am trying to decide between AT&T and Verizon and in this day and age I have to assume that eithers customer service will suck big time. I am not jaded, just experienced.

What I am interested in is which company gives you the best coverage when you are out on the lake or getting to and from the lake. In town I assume they would be about the same, but is there a difference when you get out in Gods country.

PS. Not interested in 3g internet coverage, just basic old fashioned cell phone coverage.
    Last edited by DLM; 12-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

The Intermountain West is extremely lacking on both providers when you're in God's Country (lakes and mountains of Utah). I have had AT&T (formerly Singular) and the service from elk camp has been getting better each and every year. My hunting partner has Verizon and he can't get a signal where I can and sometimes vice versa. I like AT&T because of the rollover minutes. Hope this helps?

DAVE I have ATT and have had great service in Wyo (FG) --CO. (MEEKER)--UT(MOAB )& ID (MACALL) as well as several places here in CA. I don't have the 3G ... OH YA even up in BC CANADA... Good luck on your choice...

Verizon has been fairly good to me. I know where your jaded comments are coming from - believe me.

I started fishing Merwin and Yale last year. I had good coverage for Yale. Merwin is spotty but you can find pockets that work OK.

Hope that helps.

AT&T works all over Merwin, Wickiup, Cresent, and Odell.

Default phone service

i am happy with verizon: good reception all over suttle, wickiup, odell, merwin WA, green peter, detroit. usually only a few spots of lost reception in between destinations, usually in high mountain passes or heavily forested corridors. free verizon-verizon too!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    The Intermountain West is extremely lacking on both providers when you're in God's Country (lakes and mountains of Utah). I have had AT&T (formerly Singular) and the service from elk camp has been getting better each and every year. My hunting partner has Verizon and he can't get a signal where I can and sometimes vice versa. I like AT&T because of the rollover minutes. Hope this helps?
    I'm also in the intermountain west and I have Sprint as my service provider. I've run into some dead spots but most of the time I'm able to get service no matter where I go. Also, its important to update your cell phones as well. They get to be like computers and start getting outdated as soon as you buy them. Alot of the phones today can download updated programs to allow your phone to operate better.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default Verizon

I live in Eagle Crest in Redmond Oregon and I fish all of the Lakes in Central Oregon and also the McKenzie River and I have excellent coverage with Verizon. Even most spots on Billy Chinook which as you probably know is down in a deep canyon. Some of my fishing buddies with ATT and Sprint borrow my phone when they can't get reception. Just look at these 2 links and it will give you an idea of the coverage between the 2 -

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController

If you check them out you will see that ATT coverage up the I-5 corridor is great but not very good where you will be doing a lot of your fishing. I hope this helps. Steve

I have AT&T, my buddies mostly use Verizon. I do not like the way AT&T handles their customers, but their cell coverage is far superior in the mountain lakes I fish. Odell, Crane, Wickiup and many more. It won't work everywhere, but I can use mine while my friends are often without coverage.

I hadn't noticed the post about the Sprint phones until after my comment. I think Boost is a part of Sprint. If that is the case, and the Sprint phones get good coverage in the mountains, I would consider these phones. I've had friends that I've worked with that really liked this company and they told me they only pay $50/month for unlimited everything.

No matter which one you choose, you are right, the customer service is probably the pitts. But the cell coverages for all of them just seem to get better and better year after year.

Default At&t

I have At&t and was just texting out on the lake this morning, swithed from sprint... roll over minuets a plus. and the phones are nicer with sim cards. hope this helps.

I am pleased with my Verizon. If you want to impress me, tell me that you get cell coverage at East Lake.
    Its bad luck to be superstitious.

I haven't fished East since they quit puting brook trout in it. Just not as good of a lake for me. But if you'll get them to put brook trout back in it, I'll go test my at&t out there for you. :)
    Last edited by skookum9; 03-04-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Morning cuz,
    you know where I fish and I have ATT, I have noticed that coverage is improving each year. Also who knows what lies ahead in cell phone communications so the choice you make today might be the dink of tomorrow.
    When using my 9 foot weed pole I have noticed I get better reception and with you being six eight a longer pole might help you too?

dworm