Thread: Low ran errands questions

Default Low ran errands questions

Haven’t been here for awhile. Recently had some creep/s take my electronics and am in the market for a new set up. Anyone use Lowrance Total Scan or Structure Scan? Does it add significant value to your Kok fishing. My old unit was a basic LCX model. They have lots of new technology, but not sure if is worth the extra bucks. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines,
    K

I just switched from my old LCX 38C to a Humminbird Helix 9 CHIRP GN2. Long time Lowrance guy but price, touch screen convinced me to switch. CHIRP was the important feature that I really wanted. I like buttons over touch screen and the Humminbird menu seems very straight forward.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks SD. Sorry about the auto spell errors in the thread title. Hadn’t had my coffee yet. Completely agree with your touch screen comments between fish slime and bait scents....! The HDs gen three has both touch screen and key pad. Can you tell me more about Chirp. Thanks in advance for any info.

K

CHIRP is multi-frequency sonar versus a single frequency like 200 hz or 50 hz like old technology transducers. The result is almost crystal clear returns or my more defined returns. CHIRP is built into Lowrance Gen 3 HDS units but you pay an arm and a leg for it because you are buying a lot of other features that someone like me would never use. I made my pick based on price point as much as anything. I didn't want to spend more than a $1,000 for a fish finder and tried to get the biggest screen and clearest imagery for that budget. I spent $799 for my unit at Cabela's.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

We bought a new Lowrance HDS7gen3 earlier this year to replace the Garmin that came with our new boat. I sprung for the structure scan transducer so I would have side-scan and down-scan. It was worth the extra $100. The ability to actually see what your sonar shows is invaluable. Trees, rocks, man-made items (concrete blocks, cables,etc.) all show as what they are. Side-scan can tell you which side of your boat the items are. Then you can mark it with a waypoint to avoid hanging up your downrigger. I've hung up on trees in 100 ft.+ of water down 40 ft. , shows it very well! Fish are a little trickier to I.D. with side-scan, but you can see baitballs with the downscan. Chirp is more sensitive then 200 k for frequency, medium seems more sensitive then high chirp. I haven't used ALL the features, but it's nice to have them as I learn the unit. I strongly advise anyone looking for more insight on reading bottom finders to look on Northwest Fishing Reports forum under boating topics for the thread called "sonar interpretation". It's a long thread, more detail then some will like, but skim through for info you need( I avoided the math and STILL learned a lot!). Buy it with the structure-scan transducer to avoid having to pay for TWO transducers. It's only a difference of $100 as mentioned earlier. I think we paid $1100 on line, much pricier at Cabela's (just about everything is, unless it's on sale or in the bargain cave). It loses detail as depth increases, but I consider it a valuable tool. We had a Lowrance 527 with GPS 15 years or more that had the temp. sensor in the transducer crap out, they sent a new tranducer without even having to send back the old one, the 527 plugs into the new one's set-up so we have a back-up unit. Customer support has worked great for me, help with installation and accessing and understanding features has been very good. A side note, you have two transducers with this unit, spacing and position is important. Hope this helped, Bob R

Gents,
    Thank you for all of your insight, much appreciated. Bob, you indicate the need for two transducers. Is that so the unit can use chirp and down/side scan modes? Did you also have to add the inline side/down Scan module?

Thanks again,
    k

Quote Originally Posted by kelson View Post
    Gents,
    Thank you for all of your insight, much appreciated. Bob, you indicate the need for two transducers. Is that so the unit can use chirp and down/side scan modes? Did you also have to add the inline side/down Scan module?

Thanks again,
    k
    I believe one is the GPS module and sonar, and the other is structure scan. The positioning is important so that the side-scan can work properly in an overlay on your track on the chart. Really nice feature. Also you can split screen into 3 views showing sonar, side-scan and down-scan. I can usually figure out what's down there that way. You would be amazed at how many things I thought were prob. fish arches close to bottom were just logs, rocks, etc. Also marks further up in the column turned out to be the tops of trees or snags. I didn't go for the module, I think that bass fishermen and folks who want to hold on specific structure for jigging would prob. benefit from it, but I don't have the need. Make sure and check out that thread on sonar interpretation, it will help with ANY bottom finder. Bob R