Thread: Canning Day At My House

Hybrid View

Default Canning Day At My House

A couple of trips to the Gorge and it's time to get busy with the canning. Brined overnight and now for a short bath in the smoke before going into jars.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Canning

I do that myself and find it a great way to preserve my catch almost indefinitely. I have tried to do the smoking part before canning, but found the partially cooked meat (from the smoke heat) made the flesh fall apart while trying to put it in the jars. I'm not set up to do cold smoking - yet. I'm considering adding the cold smoke attachment to my Bradley smoker in the near future. Also, I never can fish with the skin on; I find that undesirable.

I do, however, add some flavor enhancers to my jars (such as Catalina dressing) and that works very well. I've thought about adding some liquid smoke but haven't done it yet. I'm going to try that in a couple of jars during my next canning session after I get back from my trip next week to Starvation. I plan to try the liquid smoke on some rainbow trout and salmon.

I do both 1/2 pints (they make excellent gifts to friends) and pints (for our pleasure and enjoyment). Don't think I'll ever do quarts. I also do occasional smoking of fillets and whole fish (from Porcupine) and vacuum seal it for preservation. Life is good.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Out of the smoke and ready to jar.

And the end product.

I love it was party dip with crackers but this is probably my favorite.

DUDE, YOUR KILLING ME!!!!!!!
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.