Thread: WICKIUP 2017

Default WICKIUP 2017

Well there is only 3 days till the opener and now that the limits are back to normal I will probably get my second rod license!
    how many others use 2 rods each at Wickiup?

excited to try my new 2.25 brads also...

I use two rods everywhere, you just have to be more aware of your position at Wickiup.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Default 2 rods

I always purchase my two rod indorcement, but do to medicial reason will miss the opener. I had both my knees done one 12/7 And the other 3/20. I just got tired of hurting good luck save a few.
    Last edited by mrmike; 04-19-2017 at 11:39 AM.

last year on the opener we boated a couple just under 20"

cant wait to find out what size we can find this year

AlI can say is WOW...
    We were humbled today......four rods and not even a bite
    Water temp was 45/46
    There were a few fish caught...but not by us lol...
    We literally thru everything we had at them...in 25 years we have never been skunked let alone not even a bite...and we were worried about the stupid 5 fish limit...
    Trying again tomorrow

Yeah it was bad today for sure. Hope it is just the water temp being so low. Last year it was 52-54 at this time. We went over two hours right off the bat with nothing. Scratched and scraped and put 10 in the boat by 1 when the wind was howling.

Way to go Dave...we were wondering how you did...what was the size?
    Any special color?
    Man There was a lot of boats this morning...we were alone in our normal spot then the armada moved in outta nowhere...we were flat lining about 80' and had one boat cut in about 30 ft behind us...with down riggers goin...that was the fastest we moved all day
    If your out tomorrow say hey
    Buddy has a 20' Boulton with offshore...black with green
    Last edited by toolman; 04-22-2017 at 11:42 PM.

didnt make it out today. heard it was really really slow but nice weather. We had one yellow and orange fly that caught four yesterday on surface . Everything else was on variations of small pink hootchies, and one on a black spinner. Really hopeful it is all the cold weather

I boated 6 on the opener and fished the Sunday following and we hooked on fish just after day break and that was it for the day. My neighbor went out yesterday, they started at 7 am and they were blown off the lake by 10 AM but they had 8 fish. I'm hoping that with the warm weather this week the bite will turn on.

I'm hearing there is a good bite going between 4pm and 6pm also. Fish in the morning, come in and nap, fish in the evening. It don't get much better....
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I had a great day of fishing on Friday with Chukar Dave (I'll let him share our success if he wishes to). I took a buddy of mine up yesterday and ended up with 18 nice kokanee. 2-3 were over 18 inches. My goto set up was a Paulina Peak tear drop shaped dodger (gold body with silver tape) and a red/white micro hoochie. Most of my fish were taken on my downriggers at 10 feet.

Friday was a good day for sure. I had waited for two weeks hoping the water would warm up and that would trigger the bite. We found 52-54 degree water and a steady supply of biters. Mostly different shades of orange micro hootchies and PPT dodgers. Longlines and down rigger at 10' We had 4 folks on board and stayed plenty busy for the most part. Wind started about 11 and we battled it until 130 before calling it quits. 45 for the smoker. Yesterday I took my son and a friend and his son from our cub scout pack. Crazy bite from about 730-9 then it slowed quite a bit. Beautiful day and no wind. Had to have them home by 130 for a birthday party so we pulled the plug at noon. 24 for our efforts and same gear as Friday. Water had cooled a bit 51-53 down closer to dam.

Default This past weekend

I fished yesterday (21-May-2017) from about 6 am and quit about 1230. I put 12 on the boat and lost 3. All my fish were caught between the confluence and the dam. Almost all were caught on my downriggers between 10-15 feet. Almost all were caught on a red/white or red/clear micro hoochie behind Paulina Peak dodgers. Gold bodied with silver tape. We had several that were 17 inches and one that was 18 inches. One of the three that we lost had to be the biggest fish we had on at any point, we were able to get it close enough to the boat to look at it and he could look at us... and then he was gone.