Thread: Leaving today for Flaming Gorge for Kokane

Default Leaving today for Flaming Gorge for Kokane

looking for some idea's on where a guy might try this early for Kokane ? leaving today and fishing until Sunday am. Probably leave out of sheep creek to start with. I haven't fished this early at the Gorge for Kokane so any help would be appreciated! . After my trip I will come back on and report how I did and where for you guys to see.

Thank you

Default Shallow

Shallow seems to be where they are when it is cold. I fished Buckboard last weekend and did not catch a Koke. Water was very dirty 40 deg. We caught lots of rainbows and pups but no kokes. I am guessing that they are down south so please let me know how you do.

Ducks

Ducks,
    I appreciate the info I'll let you know if I can find any Kok's weather is suppose to be decent tomorrow and Friday and then the weather comes back in but I'll let you know.

I would probably try around the pipeline/Rawlings's area.

If the weather report still looks good we will probably make a run up Friday for the day

Quote Originally Posted by Port1965 View Post
    looking for some idea's on where a guy might try this early for Kokane ? leaving today and fishing until Sunday am. Probably leave out of sheep creek to start with. I haven't fished this early at the Gorge for Kokane so any help would be appreciated! . After my trip I will come back on and report how I did and where for you guys to see.

Thank you
    Keep an eye on the weather, they are predicting strong wind and rain with possible thunderstorms today and tomorrow, then rain and possible snow Sunday.

Default Flaming Gorge spring fishing

The Bow's were on the bite and hungry full, full of eggs. Put all the big spawners back. Just kept a couple for a fresh fish dinner ( small tasty trout). The lake trout and Kokanee could be seen on the graph " scattered " all over the place in the shallows 10-20 feet.

Caught 1 Kokanee ? weather was beautiful Thursday morning wind picked up a little that afternoon and most of the day Friday but still fishable. Saturday was worse strong gusts "Crappy fishing" and Sunday was not even worth going out ?

Spring time at Flaming Gorge ? Left yesterday with boat covered in snow about 25 deg. and wind blowing 15 to 20 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Port1965 View Post
    The Bow's were on the bite and hungry full, full of eggs. Put all the big spawners back. Just kept a couple for a fresh fish dinner ( small tasty trout). The lake trout and Kokanee could be seen on the graph " scattered " all over the place in the shallows 10-20 feet.

Caught 1 Kokanee ? weather was beautiful Thursday morning wind picked up a little that afternoon and most of the day Friday but still fishable. Saturday was worse strong gusts "Crappy fishing" and Sunday was not even worth going out ?

Spring time at Flaming Gorge ? Left yesterday with boat covered in snow about 25 deg. and wind blowing 15 to 20 mph.
    That's about par for course up there in the spring, glad you made the most of it.

we was there Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th left at 10:30am friday.
    did OK catching Kokes but did not get any big lakers
    Wind was bad Friday hard to see the bits, I was using two planer boards and two downriggers one down 15' the other 20'
    biggest koke 21' but most were 16"

I made a late Tuesday evening decision while I was in the prone position watching a Giants game to hit the Gorge yesterday 4-12. The kokes are in the upper 15-20' water column, water temp at 45, which I marked a lot out at Wildhorse. I managed 1 18" koke in the box, lockjaw is still the early disease but they will be coming around soon. I also caught a 3lb pup there but the way it fought I thought it is was a 2nd koke. I also marked a few at the pipeline but managed another pup and a sickly looking bow. I further checked out Rawlins and yet found a few kokes in the vicinity. By 2pm the big "W" came up yielding sheep in the pasture. When I got back to Lucerne the fly fishermen and regulars were fishing shoreline. Big fat spawning rainbows were in close running in wolf packs.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

We are also anxiously awaiting koke season to start here!

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    We are also anxiously awaiting koke season to start here!
    Judy, when does the transition of the big move happen? Your date must be at the end of the tunnel now.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF