Thread: Snubbers yes or no

Default Snubbers yes or no

Looking for opinion's on snubbers

Default snubbers

I still use them and make my own. This year I am trying a new material-essentially mini bungee cord with loops. I'm anxious to see how durable and effective they are compared to the traditional surgical tubing snubbers. Even with a limber rod, I think I lose fewer kokanee when I use a snubber. If I really cared, I could keep track of fish landed with or without a snubber. But I don't care enough to bother and will probably continue to use the snubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetco View Post
    Looking for opinion's on snubbers
    snubbers are the solution to a problem that was solved years ago with better fishing rod tech. i havn't used them for years and don't miss them

What he ^ said.
    I don't miss them either.

Default Snubbers

As fisherman we try to harvest as many fish we are fortunate to hook. Fishing rod's have changed with new technicagy. I believe that dog won't hunt. Lucky enough to fish Wickiup Res. These fish have shoulders. The first fish in the Boat last sesson was 20.5 inches. I use custom Rods with are 5 weight fly rod blanks made by Wraptor Rods. We were loosing more fish than I thought we should. Running are top lines out 90+ ft behind the Boat. I watch a kokanee show with mike hall he explained early in the season the kokanee jaw cartilage doesn't develop as fast as the fish growth. I notice the fish were being ripped off,they weren't coming unhooked.I also use #4 sickle) I then put my snubbers back on my equipment I thought I was using super glue a lot less fish loss. Take it for what it worth. I'm a snubbers guy.
    Last edited by mrmike; 03-28-2017 at 01:20 AM.

I use them for early season Kokes as well. Even though I use 9' rods that are very limber and fast, a high jumping Koke with a dodger isn't really on the rod at all times when top lining in the spring. As was mentioned above their mouths take time to toughen up as the season goes along.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Thanks All nothing has changed since 1969. on the catching .

NO use a good fishing rod

I say no to Snubbers. There are great rods out there that are designed to do the job and they are very in expensive.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I generally don't use snubbers. I do use light action fiberglass rods. I found my catch rate improved the most by going to drop shot hooks (2's, 4's and 6's) instead of octopus or sickle hooks. I had not heard that kokes have softer mouths early in the season so I might try them again if my hook to land rate drops off too much. There seems to be a point later in the spring when the water temp is ideal for maximum feistiness and may be early enough that their mouths are still soft when I seem to lose the most fish. Pay attention to the placement of the snubber when using a dodger. Right in front of (line has give) or right behind (added weight) can dampen the action of the dodger compared to no snubber. If I'm long lining with a keel weight I always use a 2 - 4 foot leader between my weight and my dodger so it can swing freely. What are people's thoughts on snubber placement?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    As fisherman we try to harvest as many fish we are fortunate to hook. Fishing rod's have changed with new technicagy. I believe that dog won't hunt. Lucky enough to fish Wickiup Res. These fish have shoulders. The first fish in the Boat last sesson was 20.5 inches. I use custom Rods with are 5 weight fly rod blanks made by Wraptor Rods. We were loosing more fish than I thought we should. Running are top lines out 90+ ft behind the Boat. I watch a kokanee show with mike hall he explained early in the season the kokanee jaw cartilage doesn't develop as fast as the fish growth. I notice the fish were being ripped off,they weren't coming unhooked.I also use #4 sickle) I then put my snubbers back on my equipment I thought I was using super glue a lot less fish loss. Take it for what it worth. I'm a snubbers guy.
    i fish flaming gorge and strawberry for kokanee the average fish that comes out of there is 2.5 to 3.5 lbs . and later in the year you will see commonly see fish in the high 4 and low 5lbs range . you probably won't believe me but since switching to rmt rods reds and blues i only loose maybe 1 out of ten fish . so i don't see need to every use a snubber . but if you have fish over 90 feet back it gives them ample opportunity to loosen the hook and get off . just my opinion though.

Default Snubbers vs non

I watch numerous video of the gorge and the fish are bigger. The conditions are different as Wicikiup it is not as deep were not running DR. Deep part of a channel is like only 45 ft. If we run DR were down 8/10 ft. These fish are air born instantly. 90 ft set back is a norm other fisherman use longer set back. There quite Boat shy. There numerous times when guest aren't as skilled handling a pole and reel. Watching Anglers West video Mike Hall mentioned the growth of the fish didn't keep up with the cartledge growth in there jaws. I even double up at times. I will place my snubbers behind my dodger. The fish averaged for us 16/21 for the opener been a pretty good average. I can run 4 DR but at Wicikiup run 2. I use 5 wt. Fly rod blanks solid one piece 7 ft grafite handles noodle rods made by wraptor custom.I noticed the fish were riping off ,not coming unbuttoned. When I wrnt back to snubbers no more ripe offs. Works at this lake for me.
    Last edited by mrmike; 03-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.

when it get's down to it you have to do what you have to do to put fish in the boat . i have found that no matter what set up i run if i don't have confidence in what i'm running i have no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    snubbers are the solution to a problem that was solved years ago with better fishing rod tech. i havn't used them for years and don't miss them
    Same for me. I quit using them some time ago and dont miss them. I feel i land more fish without them.

The day of using a short medium rod with either leadcore or heavy line test and snubber are long gone. My catch rate has increased quite a bit with todays noodle rods that range from 7' up 9 1/2'. I even like using the medium lite rods that will load nicely in a DR but yet have a little backbone to catch the bigger boys. As with hunters needing more guns, seems like I don't have enough tackle to "TACKLE" fishing including rods and reels.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Nope....99% of the time. Only time I will have them is when it is so stinking slow and nothing is getting bit for hours and I try some pop gear with a wedding ring on a surface line with some weight. A lot of crap on that line so I throw in the snubber. Again it is absolutely a last resort when nothing else will work. Rest of the time not needed for my fishing at Wick.

I used to use them back when I was trying to use the same rods for both lakers and kokes, but ever since I picked up some lighter rods we haven't needed to use snubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    I used my new Vance spiral wound kokanee rods today and removed all of my snubbers. I can tell you I wont be using them in the future. I love these rods...