Thread: Chain for anchor

Default Chain for anchor

Just looking for some recommendations for chain length and size for anchoring my 17.5 Lund in deep water can I get away with a 4 or 6 ft length

How deep and any current?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    How deep and any current?
    No current and 120ft deep Odell lake fishing

Default Lund troller

Unless your using a break away anchor system. I would just use 25/35# pyrmadite anchor. That's all you'll need. In fast waters run 6/8 ft anchor chain.then 300 ft 3/8 anchor line,attached to break away system. To many snags,roots etc at the lake or lakes. Just pyramids all you'll need Odells deep.

Default Anchor rode and chain

I'll defer to others regarding a choice of anchors but encourage you to check out American Rope for the anchor rode and chain. American Rope offers a 1/2 inch 8-strand plait (braided) rope that is easy on hands and that flakes effortlessly into a container without twists or kinks. I use a 13 x 18 milk crate for 300 ft of rode and 15 ft of 1/4 inch stainless chain. American Rope will splice the chain and rope, and splice a 12 inch loop on the bitter end, for a few dollars. I found their quality and price to be much better than West Marine, Cabelas, etc. Their web site isn't easy to use but customer service over the phone was excellent.