Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Lucky Peak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

First, welcome to the site. Go to youtube and type in "Fishing tips from an Idaho angler". This features Dave Triplett, someone I graduated with from Boise High. The video is produced by the Idaho Fish and Game. It will answer most of your questions. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    First, welcome to the site. Go to youtube and type in "Fishing tips from an Idaho angler". This features Dave Triplett, someone I graduated with from Boise High. The video is produced by the Idaho Fish and Game. It will answer most of your questions. Mike
    Thanks, Will do....

Default Reservoir still very muddy

Fished Lucky Peak from 0900 to 1230 today. No fish.... Not even a bite. The water is still too muddy to fish effectively. Launched at Turner Gulch and mostly fished the dam area, but I did venture into the narrows for a bit. Water lever is coming up, but the docks are on the ramp and not yet in the water. The movable dock is not in the water either. You have to beach your boat on either side of the ramp. Water temp around the dam is around 42.5. Tried all the favorites, wedding rings and hoochies, in all the popular colors. Ran them at depths from 20 feet to around 7 feet. Wind kicked up in the afternoon and it was time to call it a day. Will be another few weeks before the water clarity is good enough for me to try it again.....and that is only if the runoff slows down a bit.

Great update, thanks

We are so looking forward, and waiting eagerly to get out. My daughter asks every weekend, is it time, is it time. My little blue boat is ready to get after it. Thanks for all the updates so far.
    The wife calls my boat "My Husbands Little Blue Dingy"

Default update

We took a drive up to LP yesterday (Thursday) and were surprised to see a lake devoid of any activity. Not a boat or trailer in sight, no bank fishing, nothing. The ramp at the dam is high and dry, but the portable dock at Spring Shores is in water. The water was much clearer than I anticipated. Interesting that the fishing is so bad, because the reservoirs in Washington and N. Idaho are great fishing right now. Fast limits at Hayden, Roosevelt, etc. Mike

Has anyone had any success lately?

Default Lucky Peak Boat In Camping Question?

Hello

I want to launch at the Marina and secure a dock & camping spot up a gorge on the west end of the lake
    that can be seen driving up to LP. My question is are those single camp spots on some of those docks that are high & dry right now?

Thanks

DEALMKR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (89).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	8972  
    Last edited by DEALMKR; 04-17-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEALMKR View Post
    Hello

I want to launch at the Marina and secure a dock & camping spot up a gorge on the west end of the lake
    that can be seen driving up to LP. My question is are those single camp spots on some of those docks that are high & dry right now?

Thanks

DEALMKR
    Yes. As of yesterday all of the camp site docks that I saw were definitely "high and dry". The water level has stayed within a few feet of where it is now for the last couple weeks and with the amount of water they are letting out, my guess is it will be quite some time before it goes up the 20+ feet needed for most of those docks.
    "Green Guppy"- Old boat, Older motor...full fish box (I hope)

Default HAVE YOU EVER CAMPED OVERNITE

Quote Originally Posted by AkAngler View Post
    Yes. As of yesterday all of the camp site docks that I saw were definitely "high and dry". The water level has stayed within a few feet of where it is now for the last couple weeks and with the amount of water they are letting out, my guess is it will be quite some time before it goes up the 20+ feet needed for most of those docks.

I'm hoping to find one that is a single camp only to have a little privacy. My plan once the water is back
    to normal is to find one Fri morning and set up camp and stay the weekend.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DEALMKR View Post
    I'm hoping to find one that is a single camp only to have a little privacy. My plan once the water is back
    to normal is to find one Fri morning and set up camp and stay the weekend.
    Once you pass under the High Bridge (The Mores Creek Bridge) the canyon will turn to the right and head north again up toward where both Mores Creek and Robie Creek flow into Lucky Peak Reservoir. There are several spots in that canyon where there are single unit camp areas. From the Bridge to where Mores/Robie Creek join the reservoir is a couple miles. Just look around for a floating dock and you are all set. You can also launch your boat up there at the Robie Creek Launch (google it) if the water is high enough. A word of advise though.... That is an incredibly popular area in the summer time. Lots of folks use those camp areas. If you plan to leave Friday to secure a camping spot you may be too late. Before I was retired, we would send the kids up there on Thursday to secure the site for the weekend. Also, I can't remember if there are any outhouses on those sites in the Mores Creek area..... I just don't remember. Many of the sites on the main body of have outhouses....which is definitely a plus. Oh....one more thing.... There are several floating docks in that area with no associated camping areas. Make sure there is a place to pitch the tent before unloading the boat.
    Last edited by Pauli; 04-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Default Great Information...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Once you pass under the High Bridge (The Mores Creek Bridge) the canyon will turn to the right and head north again up toward where both Mores Creek and Robie Creek flow into Lucky Peak Reservoir. There are several spots in that canyon where there are single unit camp areas. From the Bridge to where Mores/Robie Creek join the reservoir is a couple miles. Just look around for a floating dock and you are all set. You can also launch your boat up there at the Robie Creek Launch (google it) if the water is high enough. A word of advise though.... That is an incredibly popular area in the summer time. Lots of folks use those camp areas. If you plan to leave Friday to secure a camping spot you may be too late. Before I was retired, we would send the kids up there on Thursday to secure the site for the weekend. Also, I can't remember if there are any outhouses on those sites in the Mores Creek area..... I just don't remember. Many of the sites on the main body of have outhouses....which is definitely a plus. Oh....one more thing.... There are several floating docks in that area with no associated camping areas. Make sure there is a place to pitch the tent before unloading the boat.

Yes I will have to get one on a Thursday to secure it for the weekend.

Thanks

All good advice. I will add that the single dock/campsite at dead dog creek is very private...BUT no matter where you go, make sure you bring some bug/bee/hornet spray. A few times I've been up there in springtime and when the timing is right they take over the entire area at the shoreline and can be aggressive.

Also, thanks to all giving reports regardless of the conditions. It is much appreciated! Hope to see some of you on Sunday or Monday.

Default Few bites

Fished in LP 5 hrs today, boated 2 -14" Kok, released 1 trout 14" and lost other 3 kok. It's still very slow. Fish with DR from 5 to 12' deep, Ford fender + kokabow Eagle . Water temp 48 degree and the Turner Gulch portable boat dock is in the water.
    There were about 7 boats fishing in the area, just wonder how did they do.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Ya...fishing has definitely been slow/tough but we've managed to pull a few fish here and there. Water seemed to be getting less muddy last time out there. One of these days it's going to just turn on and I'm hoping it's Sunday when I'm up there with my kids!

Yup. Slow, but just enough action for dinner. Wife and I fished for for 3 hours. Hooked 3 but only landed one. The wind picked up around 2 and we came in. Beautiful day though.

Default Sunday

Fished for several hours Sunday morning and hooked 1 limits worth but only landed half of them. Released a nice rainbow as well. Seems like it's getting a little better as we saw another boat catch a couple as well but pretty much had the lake to ourselves early on.

Thanks for the report. 2 questions..... Any size to the Kokes?? And, is the water clarity getting better?

Thanks,

Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Thanks for the report. 2 questions..... Any size to the Kokes?? And, is the water clarity getting better?

Thanks,

Pauli
    Two landed were 14-15 with one being much smaller most likely next year's fish but it was bleeding so we kept it. As for water clarity I'd say yes it's better but that's relative to the fact that a couple weeks ago I couldn't even see the bottom of my motor. Still isn't what I'd say is good but clearer than in the past.

I went out yesterday, 2 kokes and a trout. Overall a pleasant day but for sure it was slow.

Default Finally got out!

Took the family out today, but waited for it to warm up. Fished from noon to 3:30 and went 5 for 10, with a split of trout and kokanee only kept 2 larger kooks @14" and one of the trout. The trout were 12" to 16" and the 3 other kokanee were release in good shape were 6" to 8". Fished 2 rods on downriggers @ 8 to 14 feet, and 2 long lines @ 100 and 115 feet back.
    White 1875 Lund Impact & Scotty downriggers

Default any report

Thinking about heading to lucky peak this weekend, seeing if anybody has heard any reports or suggestions on colors combos that might be working. Still new at this kokanee gig and trying learn much as I can. Thanks for any help/info.

Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Thinking about heading to lucky peak this weekend, seeing if anybody has heard any reports or suggestions on colors combos that might be working. Still new at this kokanee gig and trying learn much as I can. Thanks for any help/info.
    Yesterday the seemed to hit anything you put in the water but in the last few weeks the Kokabow Talon In-Flight troll and spinner setup has been the best rig for us. Also a plain silver dodger with a orange spinner double whammy has been good too. After that a pink sling blade and pink hoochie. Hope you do well.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

I'll second what KokaneeJoe said...really didn't seem to matter what we were putting out they were taking it yesterday. We pretty much fished all home made spinners/wedding rings in orange and pink and did very well!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help and updates, hopefully they will still be on the bite on Sunday. I will be in a green flat bottom boat Sunday late morning in front of spring shores area. Good luck to all that hit the water this weekend!!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast