Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 2017 Lucky Peak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Default Anybody take a chinook

Has anyone taken an LP chinook home to the BBQ? We reduced that decent one from Friday and I ate him Saturday. VERY DISAPPOINTING! The meat was white, somewhat mushy, and bland. Nothing even close to the same amount of deliciousness as the blaze orange and firm meat of the kokanee that we also brought home. I had visions of the same stuff that we get at the coast with the sea run chinook but this was almost exactly like the plain jane planter rainbow trout. I wonder if that is because they are hatchery gene stock? Maybe this one being 20" was not quite mature and maybe it's a dietary thing? Anyway we have been catching quite a number of the baby chinook and had visions of the lake letting go of a bunch of them each year in the two foot range but if that is what you get for dinner no thank you. I'll stick with the kokanee!

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

It is in fact a dietary thing. Meat color not with standing, their protein source in fresh water is so much different that it doesn't make for good table fare.
    2003 Jetcraft SK2125, Yamaha 150, Yamaha T8, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Has anyone taken an LP chinook home to the BBQ? We reduced that decent one from Friday and I ate him Saturday. VERY DISAPPOINTING! The meat was white, somewhat mushy, and bland. Nothing even close to the same amount of deliciousness as the blaze orange and firm meat of the kokanee that we also brought home. I had visions of the same stuff that we get at the coast with the sea run chinook but this was almost exactly like the plain jane planter rainbow trout. I wonder if that is because they are hatchery gene stock? Maybe this one being 20" was not quite mature and maybe it's a dietary thing? Anyway we have been catching quite a number of the baby chinook and had visions of the lake letting go of a bunch of them each year in the two foot range but if that is what you get for dinner no thank you. I'll stick with the kokanee!
    I kept a 24" one earlier this year and it was sub-par at best. Very bland. No flavor. Trout are better tasting.
    Old (1979) Chrysler Tri-hull Outboard with 5hp Evinrude Kicker and Penn downriggers.

Default hmmm

Well that is disappointing information. Maybe they will be incredibly fun to catch once they all grow up but one will never make it back onto my BBQ unless it's mortally wounded. (yuck) I can already envision the argument when one of my buddies lands a good fish and I demand to release it! If you see someone swimming to the bank from a black pontoon you'll already know the circumstances and that the mutiny was put down.

The one big one I caught was a very impressive fighter but I don't think I will be targeting them. I like the delicious kokes.
    Old (1979) Chrysler Tri-hull Outboard with 5hp Evinrude Kicker and Penn downriggers.

That's interesting. The 12 #er I caught out of Anderson was as good....maybe better.....than the Chinook we catch at Sekiu in the Straits. Different waters maybe?.. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crappieslayer View Post
    Fished Lucky Peak yesterday near the dam. Barely got my line in the water and caught a trout. Fished for two hours and ended up with 2 trout, 1 Chinook, and missed or lost 3 fish. All were caught between 8 and 10 ft at 1.8 to 1.9mph.
    Maybe i can shed a little light. I commercial fished salmon in Alaska for 7 years - what i know is: the orange meat comes from the krill that they eat, thats why farmed salmon has to have dye put in food to get any color . also the rich flavor on Chinook ( we call Kings ) is the oil from the Herring, candlefish, and other creatures they eat. So landlocked chinooks are not going to have color or flavor that you would expect from the ocean . And by the way, it was the most rewarding seven years of my life

Default Long leader :)

Fished yesterday at LP from 11:30Am until 4:30PM and took home 3 fat 14" Kok. First time I fish with long leader and faster trolling speed and it worked. One long line pole with 1.1/4 oz. sinker + Mack's lure plastic flasher (red/silver) + Kokanee King (orange/white) + white corn and 56" leader. Most action on this pole. Had an other setup with green/silver flasher and orange WR that fish with DR from 10' to 15 depth and got few fish included 1 small chinook. We lost other 4 fish when it get close to the boat. It was hard to net the fish with long leader on 7'6" rod. Especially single hook on the lure that make the fish get off easy when it flipped on the air...
    Thank F-Bomb for the info. With this setup the fish strikes very hard.

Wife had a good nap... Her pole that she setup as normal when we fish at LP. Fordfender + Kokabow with about 18" leader...She changed the lure few time and changing depth with DR, not a tap...

Water level drop about 95', portable boat dock wasn't on center of the ramp so only one side use-able. At 11:00 Am there were 3 boats on the reservoir that including mine.

There was a mallard swim toward our boat when we rigged up our fishing gear, we fed it some bread and when we start trolling it jumped on the step platform and had a free ride for half an hour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP-duck-2804.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	9258  
    Last edited by fish4kok; 10-12-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: add photo
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Default Now we "talking"

Thank you all contributors. It's nice to be able to learn, inform, compare, and converse in a positive and entertaining media while we pass the time to our next fishing day!

Fish4koke...
    Excellent! I'm really happy to hear that you tried that technique and that it had some positive results for you. That is really encouraging. I have been switching the stock single hook to a very slightly larger treble on my wedding ring spinner setups and that seems to improve the hooked to landed ratio. I also switched some of the blades to a larger version about late summer.
    One I painted orange and white and it's been getting some strikes pretty much along with the stock hammered silver.

I also bit the bullet and switched from Fenwick 7.5ft everyday rods to some way too expensive Lamiglas and once again it seems like we are landing a larger proportion of our hook-ups.

I use two 801GH which is an 8ft on the down riggers and two 9.5fters on the outside long line setups. Lamiglas has a sale on the CG GH80 right now for $113 per stick. I paid considerably more for a slightly different make-up but I bet the results would be as positive.

G3 great info..Your comments and experience correlates with what I have heard and read. I bet you do miss the good ole' days of Alaska fishing! I love seafood and would eat salmon and crab everyday if I could afford it. Of course it all goes better in the trifecta with a good steak!

F-Bomb
    I often fish with the leader not more than 18" long on the spinner and ~ 12" leader with the squids after the dodger... We (Wife & I) often caught fish with our setup and slower trolling speed and enjoy the day on the lake. Somehow this year fishing at LP is getting more challenge...

I read your posts about the long leader and 2MPH+ trolling speed and many of your share information about fishing in LP. Stuffs that you used for your catching technicque that I also have in my tackle boxes so why don't I try? Now I have a better GPS echomap fishfinder that I can read the trolling speed and I can dial in. With in first 25 minutes I boated 1 kokanee and the 2nd took off with my Kokanee king single hook, the line broke right at the knot that tight to the lure. I replace same lure and that has more action so I didn't try the tripple teaser yet. First time I fish with long leader and I'm glad with the result. Thank you for the solution to use longer pole and tripple hook on the wr. I did tight some tandem single hook for the wr and I'm thinking to replace the single hook on the kokanee king, tripple teaser to the tripple hook. I don't know that will change the action of these lures?

Yesterday I bought couple more Macklure's flashers for my wife, one set with 2 blades, the other with 4 blades. Hopefully she will stay awake on our next fishing trip.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213