Thread: main line trolling for macs

Default main line trolling for macs

could you tell me what you use for a main line when trolling for macs using down riggers? Please tell me brand, lb used, mono, floro or braid and why you use it. Also do you use a leader with your main line? This is for fishing at flaming gorge.

Default Main line

I use 40 Lb. spider wire Hi viz on my Mack rods, I like the small diameter for less blow back on a smaller weight, I usually run an 8 lb. ball, I'm not saying that's the best setup, but it works for me, I run the main line to the dodger or gear then a mono leader to the lure, I either use a duolock or tie directly to the lure. I prefer the duo, as its much easier to change up lures and I think the action is just as good as direct tied. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by saltrunner75 View Post
    I use 40 Lb. spider wire Hi viz on my Mack rods, I like the small diameter for less blow back on a smaller weight, I usually run an 8 lb. ball, I'm not saying that's the best setup, but it works for me, I run the main line to the dodger or gear then a mono leader to the lure, I either use a duolock or tie directly to the lure. I prefer the duo, as its much easier to change up lures and I think the action is just as good as direct tied. Good luck!
    thank you for getting back to me. what do you usually have your best luck with while trolling?

Default Luck

I've probably done almost equal on a dodger and a tiny spoon or a rapala that looks like a cutthroat, the rapalas are probably 5 inches long. I run the spoons behind the dodger about 3-4 feet as they have their own action.
    [SIGPIC]

i have used spider wire in the past and found that i didn't catch as many fish. my friend always uses 30# berkly biggame and has great luck so i switched off to that and run 15# mono to the lure with good results .

Default Main line

On DR hard to beat a braid line #65 has a thin diameter with 3% stretch run to a snap. Connect to a flasher,wobbler what ever,then go to flor carbon mono for leader.

one other thing i didn't like about spider-wire was it was very difficult to keep in the release clip , but to each his own , i have been much happier with mono because i like catching more fish ,but that's just me .