Thread: Trolling with a camera

Default Trolling with a camera

I'm looking to buy a camera to drag on my downrigger to see how the kokanee are responding to my presentations and try and learn a little more about their habits. Does any one have any experience using a camera trolling and any recommendations for cameras?

Default Troll cam

I'm getting a Wolf inline camera for Christmas. I've seen them on Angler West,looks easy to set up. The show might get old but will be interesting seeing what's going on down there. Think they run around $120,believe I'll use a stout mainline. TM

Ran a water wolf camera a few times this year. They are easy to set up and deploy. Use a heavy mainline for sure in case you snag and just to protect your investment. The only thing I did not like is the cap you need to remove and reinstall to turn the cam on and to check the micro SD. Something happen to my cap and I thought I had it installed correctly and tight, but something leaked and the camera was ruined. It was warranteed by Okuma(the US rep for water wolf) but did take several weeks to get the replacement. The camera records for approximately 4 hours and uploads in 20 minute clips. The clips take forever to upload into a viewable format. There might be some better software for this but I am a computer idiot. The quality of the clips are pretty good and the info you get from watching the videos is well worth the investment IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by kokakola View Post
    I'm looking to buy a camera to drag on my downrigger to see how the kokanee are responding to my presentations and try and learn a little more about their habits. Does any one have any experience using a camera trolling and any recommendations for cameras?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have two Water wolf underwater Cameras
    some videos I made
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?action_reinstate=1

read this if you buy one I got the first one for $114 no tax free shipping
    http://www.waterwolfhd.com/en/faq-support-en

to view the video I open with VSO Media Player

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/...dia-player.php
    it is fast.

make sure you see how it works before you put it in the water
    and make sure the cap is on good before you put it in the water
    for the money you can't beat it.

I have three of these and they are very easy to use and work well.
    Tim

They have improved the v 1.0 to the uw1.1. It gives you a cap to cover the lens and metal rod to help take the lid off. They made the on/off switch easier to use. Improved the rod that holds the line/leader. The v1.0 rod broke. The plastic on the metal rod broke but Okuma sent me one quickly. One thing also they changed between the 2 I have is, the 1.0, is black and the 1.1 is green. I put tape (like on a dodger)on the black one and seen that the fish acted different toward it. I have only used the 1.1 once and there weren't any fish. I used a weight for longlining it. All other times I used downriggers.

I did not change the line or leader I use. Well, I make sure that the line is new and not old. I don't use any weight and have only used it trolling. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkF...HqvsNZoAJe-gOw That is my Youtube and all underwater videos were made with the v1.0. I haven't ran into any snags so I can't speak to that fear of losing it but if it doesn't have a weight the camera will float.

I used the VLC media player(free) they suggest and Windows Movie Maker (free)for putting the movies together. I also had to get an mp4 converter (free)because Windows movie maker doesn't recognize the extension that the VLC Media Player used. I used up 500 gigs of hard drive quickly. I am looking for a computer with 8gig memory( I have 4 now), 2tb hard drive (1tb now) and may splurge to get a video making software. I also have an upgraded the video card.

I have also gotten a little over 4 hours of video before.

I have noticed that the red o-rings can be pinched when re-installing the cover which would make it not water proof.

Default Card time

Kokanee -Toni ,How many hours of video can you get on a 32gb card. Also how long a leader do you use? I ran my camera last weekend and saw lots of rainbows. The greenish water and leader set back made it hard to see some of them clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    Kokanee -Toni ,How many hours of video can you get on a 32gb card. Also how long a leader do you use? I ran my camera last weekend and saw lots of rainbows. The greenish water and leader set back made it hard to see some of them clearly.

I don't know how long I can get on a 32 g card. I only run it til the battery dies then come home and take it off the card.

I have about 12 inches of leader from the camera to a swivel. Then I put a 4 inch dodger then 12 (about) inches to my lure. Seeing really depends on water too.

I find it fun to come home and see. It is like going again.