Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deadwood Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by IDHUNTER View Post
    Hi guys, in the past i've always camped on the peninsula at the northern end of the lake along the 556 road. However i'd like to fish a little closer to the dam and it would take me an hour to get there in my little boat so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the camping situation along the eastern shore of the lake. There will be 4 of us going up this weekend with 2 tents. Is it just designated campgrounds over there or are there other random places to camp along the road on that side of the lake? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    There are several decent places to camp before you get to cozy cove. Most are right on the water and you can beach your boat.
    Click on this link and all of the little black dots are "primitive camping" spots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dead...YqqbpdXqbSM%3A

I'm heading up this weekend. I called to lawman ranger district. They said the clear creek/bear valley road out of lowman has recently been improved. Has anyone been that route? Is it a good way to go in? Im pulling a 17' boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    I'm heading up this weekend. I called to lawman ranger district. They said the clear creek/bear valley road out of lowman has recently been improved. Has anyone been that route? Is it a good way to go in? Im pulling a 17' boat.
    I have found the Clear Creek road to typically be the best (smoothest) route in there, you should be fine pulling your boat. Did they say anything about the fire having an impact on that route? Looking at the closure map part of the road is the boarder of the closure area but the road itself isn't closed but I just want to be sure.

Any fishing reports from deadwood. Im thinking about a 4hr drive just for a day trip up there. I usually go in via cascade/warm lake route.. anybody know for sure if the road is open.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieslayer View Post
    Any fishing reports from deadwood. Im thinking about a 4hr drive just for a day trip up there. I usually go in via cascade/warm lake route.. anybody know for sure if the road is open.
    I've been doing extremely well up there until this weekend. Fished on Thursday evening, several hours on Friday, and a few hours on Saturday. Did not do well at all. The fish seem to have disappeared. Can't even find numbers on the sonar. I looked all over never found a decent school. The small schools I did find would hit, just couldn't find any big schools.

Small lake + more boats than normal on DW + this forum= over fishing

But I'm sure the guys taking home 75+ fish a trip will chime in and say that's not the problem, oh and my favorite line "the hatchery will stock more fish"

Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    I've been doing extremely well up there until this weekend. Fished on Thursday evening, several hours on Friday, and a few hours on Saturday. Did not do well at all. The fish seem to have disappeared. Can't even find numbers on the sonar. I looked all over never found a decent school. The small schools I did find would hit, just couldn't find any big schools.

Fished this weekend. All roads are open. Clearcreek/bear valley is okay. Fish seem to be closer to the inlet and the dam. Bite was good in the morning, and evening. The fishing has slowed down a lot from a month ago. Pink and Orange dodgers/hoochies worked best for me. Firetiger down 20' was producing cutthroat in the morning. I caught a couple little chinook 16 or so inches. I kept different rapalas down for chinook, only caught them by accident on the kok stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteHawk View Post
    Small lake + more boats than normal on DW + this forum= over fishing

But I'm sure the guys taking home 75+ fish a trip will chime in and say that's not the problem, oh and my favorite line "the hatchery will stock more fish"

Hahaha
    Seems like the fishery is going exactly the direction F&G was wanting it to go. They were targeting larger fish and that's what they have. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/deadwoo...hing-statewide

I hardly think it is broken........

Keep this tread discussion constructive. Discussing views on limit restrictions or trophy fish harvest is fine as long as it can be done without name calling and other 6th grade bullying behavior. Failure to follow this request will lead to shutting down this tread and/or removal of individuals from the forum.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

They've been trying to produce larger kokes last couple years, from what I've heard recently directly from the biologist pulling nets on this lake is theyve gone past the point of the target size.

Seems like the fishery is going exactly the direction F&G was wanting it to go. They were targeting larger fish and that's what they have. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/deadwoo...hing-statewide

I hardly think it is broken........

They've been trying to produce larger kokes last couple years, from what I've heard recently directly from the biologist pulling nets on this lake is theyve gone past the point of the target size.
    So it appears to me that you seem to contradict yourself so please clarify. On one hand you think the populations are to low because of over harvest and now you think it's because of changes made by fish and game? Or both?

I'm starting to think you just like to get folks riled up.
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 07-18-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typos

You might want to re-read I'm not sure what changes by fish & game your talking about.

Not riling anyone on purpose, if the truth riles people up than that's a good thing.

So it appears to me that you seem to contradict yourself so please clarify. On one hand you think the populations are to low because of over harvest and now you think it's because of changes made by fish and game? Or both?

I'm starting to think you just like to get folks riled up.

You might want to re-read I'm not sure what changes by fish & game your talking about.

Not riling anyone on purpose, if the truth riles people up than that's a good thing.
    The "changes" I referred to are the mentioned in the link I attached a while back. Maybe you didn't read it. Just in case you didn't, I'll quote it here.

""Kokanee are so productive at Deadwood, there are just too many," said Kozfkay. "A benefit of the large egg take is it reduces kokanee numbers, which in turn helps increase the average size of the adult, providing a bigger fish for the angler."

But as fish managers know, kokanee can be a tricky fish to manage. The populations respond quickly to changes and can decline as quickly as they can increase.

Every year, Idaho Fish and Game fisheries staff monitor fish populations and make-up of the reservoir. Kokanee are hauled in, measured, and weighed. The data feeds a population model to help biologists determine the number of kokanee in the reservoir. They also keep track of other types of fish in the system.

"Right now, the goal for the Deadwood kokanee fishery is bigger fish." said Kozfkay.

To achieve this goal, fish managers cautiously work to reduce the number of kokanee in the reservoir to allow for the remaining fish to have more food and grow to 13-inches, the most desired length by anglers."
    "

I did run some quick numbers and based off the link I previously attached, I'm starting to be swayed that you might be right and that it might be getting over harvested.

Here is just a quick run down of my own personal observations and pulling a few things out of dark places that may or may not be correct.

Fish and Game quoted that somewhere around 150,000 or so fish (I could be off by a few thousand) ran into their trap in 2014. Assume that is fairly normal. Roughly 60 good fishing days (June 1 or so, until the fish begin to change around the end of July). My own personal observation of the number of boats I see on the lake during the week and on weekend days along with my own catch rates and word of mouth catch rates from what others have told me. Putting it all together...................

Roughly 40 or less boats per day, times 60 days or so. The most fish I know of coming off the lake in a single boat in a single day = 40, but I could concede that the number could be twice that (80). So: 40x60x80=192,000.

Now I think my numbers are WAY over exaggerated, BUT..... If 150,000 spawners are normal and we harvest 192,000 fish in the 60 days of good fishing at DW, then I surely agree. It is probably over harvested...... Even at half of my estimations (which seems like a more realistic number to me) 96,000 fish harvested would be huge and could possibly be a problem. I hope I am WAY OFF.

I wonder if fish and game is considering tightening up the limits at all?

Peace out.......
    Last edited by hooknhunter; 07-18-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Adding quote from news article.

The thing I find myself wondering now is this: What is a normal harvest for DW and how does this year compare to what is normally harvested?

Not sure what happen to my last post but basically said I Agree with you. The sawtooth fish hatchery is a great source for info they will pretty share the data they have.

The "changes" I referred to are the mentioned in the link I attached a while back. Maybe you didn't read it. Just in case you didn't, I'll quote it here.

""Kokanee are so productive at Deadwood, there are just too many," said Kozfkay. "A benefit of the large egg take is it reduces kokanee numbers, which in turn helps increase the average size of the adult, providing a bigger fish for the angler."

But as fish managers know, kokanee can be a tricky fish to manage. The populations respond quickly to changes and can decline as quickly as they can increase.

Every year, Idaho Fish and Game fisheries staff monitor fish populations and make-up of the reservoir. Kokanee are hauled in, measured, and weighed. The data feeds a population model to help biologists determine the number of kokanee in the reservoir. They also keep track of other types of fish in the system.

"Right now, the goal for the Deadwood kokanee fishery is bigger fish." said Kozfkay.

To achieve this goal, fish managers cautiously work to reduce the number of kokanee in the reservoir to allow for the remaining fish to have more food and grow to 13-inches, the most desired length by anglers."
    "

I did run some quick numbers and based off the link I previously attached, I'm starting to be swayed that you might be right and that it might be getting over harvested.

Here is just a quick run down of my own personal observations and pulling a few things out of dark places that may or may not be correct.

Fish and Game quoted that somewhere around 150,000 or so fish (I could be off by a few thousand) ran into their trap in 2014. Assume that is fairly normal. Roughly 60 good fishing days (June 1 or so, until the fish begin to change around the end of July). My own personal observation of the number of boats I see on the lake during the week and on weekend days along with my own catch rates and word of mouth catch rates from what others have told me. Putting it all together...................

Roughly 40 or less boats per day, times 60 days or so. The most fish I know of coming off the lake in a single boat in a single day = 40, but I could concede that the number could be twice that (80). So: 40x60x80=192,000.

Now I think my numbers are WAY over exaggerated, BUT..... If 150,000 spawners are normal and we harvest 192,000 fish in the 60 days of good fishing at DW, then I surely agree. It is probably over harvested...... Even at half of my estimations (which seems like a more realistic number to me) 96,000 fish harvested would be huge and could possibly be a problem. I hope I am WAY OFF.

I wonder if fish and game is considering tightening up the limits at all?

Peace out.......

Default Deadwood

Im headed to Deadwood tomorrow. Anybody been there recently? Would appreciate any tips on current depths to try for kokes, and atlantic or chinook...

Were headed up all next week. On the kokes buddy just got back did well long line, top ten feet.

Im headed to Deadwood tomorrow. Anybody been there recently? Would appreciate any tips on current depths to try for kokes, and atlantic or chinook...

Same here. Caught lots of baby chinook 18-22in which are next years fish, threw those ones back. Same depth tho, right out the back.

Were headed up all next week. On the kokes buddy just got back did well long line, top ten feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipjack24 View Post
    Same here. Caught lots of baby chinook 18-22in which are next years fish, threw those ones back. Same depth tho, right out the back.
    Were you catching the chinook on the same gear as the kokes?

Default Deadwood Mastercard Moment

Went to deadwood this weekend. Wont be going again anytime soon. The road in was hell. Worst 16 miles I have ever driven in my life.
    Gas for my truck and boat $140.00
    Gas for second truck to bring up 29' travel trailer $100.00
    Cost to repair damages to boat (spare tire carrier broke with metal fatigue, lost one of the newly replaced trailer bunks, one of the trailer light turn signal/stop lights rattled out of the trailer, on tie down strap broke and was gone $120.00
    (In addition, both downriggers had everthing on them loose and were barely holding on, and bow roller mount came completely loose and was hanging by a thread.
    Travel trailer bathrrom mirror rattled completely out of the wall, and inner door to bathroom rattled all the screws out and was laying on the floor. $100.00
    On the way back ball hitch for boat that was torqed to 100ft lbs, was almost completely off, and blew bearings on both front trailer tires (both just serviced last year) $100.00.

Spending two days fishing at deadwood and only catching 3 kokanee and 8 chinook, priceless.

I go to abandoned mines, hunt on old roads, and i have never never seen such a crap road in all of my life. Shame on you Valley County.

Went to deadwood this weekend. Wont be going again anytime soon. The road in was hell. Worst 16 miles I have ever driven in my life.
    Cost to repair damages to boat (spare tire carrier broke with metal fatigue, lost one of the newly replaced trailer bunks, one of the trailer light turn signal/stop lights rattled out of the trailer, on tie down strap broke and was gone $120.00
    (In addition, both downriggers had everthing on them loose and were barely holding on, and bow roller mount came completely loose and was hanging by a thread.
    Travel trailer bathrrom mirror rattled completely out of the wall, and inner door to bathroom rattled all the screws out and was laying on the floor. $100.00
    On the way back ball hitch for boat that was torqed to 100ft lbs, was almost completely off, and blew bearings on both front trailer tires (both just serviced last year) $100.00.

Spending two days fishing at deadwood and only catching 3 kokanee and 8 chinook, priceless.

I go to abandoned mines, hunt on old roads, and i have never never seen such a crap road in all of my life. Shame on you Valley County.
    As if all the trailer parts laying on the side of the road weren't clue enough. By the way it's 25 miles of dirt on the shortest path.
    :-)

I hope it stays that way, keeps the flat landers away.

Default LOL!!

I hope it stays that way, keeps the flat landers away.
    Well Well.... I know we lost a tail light assembly and a step of the boat trailer.... busted welds on both side rails!

We drove in last sunday morning 7/17 road was ok....

On the way out Sunday night EVERYTHING changed with the road! Not sure if all of the heavy equipment and firefighting crew or the majority of the crews pulled out and destroyed the ROADS!! We were seeing carnegie from a couple trailers in front of us on the side of the road..So we just had to added to the scrap metal!

Oh and the fishing was horrible!

Dustin U
    Last edited by DustinU; 07-24-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinU View Post
    Well Well.... I know we lost a tail light assembly and a step of the boat trailer.... busted welds on both side rails!

We drove in last sunday morning 7/17 road was ok....

On the way out Sunday night EVERYTHING changed with the road! Not sure if all of the heavy equipment and firefighting crew or the majority of the crews pulled out and destroyed the ROADS!! We were seeing carnegie from a couple trailers in front of us on the side of the road..So we just had to added to the scrap metal!

Oh and the fishing was horrible!

Dustin U

Which way did you go in?

Default Warm Lake...

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeet View Post
    Which way did you go in?
    We came in thru Warmlake, I wasn't 100% sure if the other roads would be open...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast