Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadwood Conditions

I'll be there in a 14 gamefisher, camo (sort of) with a 15 HP Honda. If you see me and I don't say hello, be sure to say hello to me. I cannot help you with the ramp questions as I have never used the ramp there. I always launch on the north end where there is no ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    I'll be there in a 14 gamefisher, camo (sort of) with a 15 HP Honda. If you see me and I don't say hello, be sure to say hello to me. I cannot help you with the ramp questions as I have never used the ramp there. I always launch on the north end where there is no ramp.
    Ok I will. I think we will probably be up there Thursday evening and try and stay through Sunday.

Default Scott Mountain Road

The thing about Scott Mountain is the steepness and narrowness of the road itself. it's about 2/3 of a single lane wide in many places and ROUGH! I had to pull a big diesel generator down from the dam back in about 2000, and it rattled every bolt loose on that trailer, to the point of losing the sheetmetal panels and me having to walk back to get them. If you meet someone going down or coming up, someone is going to have to back up to a rare wide spot, sometimes a long way back. Definitely not a good idea to attempt that road with a trailer of any kind.

Default Road to deadwood

When I called cascade they said that they were going to close the roads at landmark and bear valley. I just got back today and the fire is out and all the roads were open..I don't think they ended up closing them--I went to deadwood via Scott Mtn and came home via warm lake--I caught a 14.5 lb rainbow and a 4lb chinook along with lots of kokes and cutts. Ross

I trolled a j11 and a J13 Rapala silver and black 200 ft behind the boat on a downrigger 30-40 ft deep at 2.5 mph in the deep channels for the rainbows It will get better later in august for the big fish after the water level is down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	8689 7/6/2016 deadwood 14.5 rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	8689 7/6/2016 deadwood 14.5 rainbow
    Wow! That's big rainbow trout from Deadwood. Congratulation.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Nice fish! Good work!

Why do people keep the big rainbows? Is it just to tell everyone hey I caught one look at me.. I'm with most of the other guys on this, those rainbows are definitely special an that lake is very small considering other lakes in the state, they will be gone one day.

I don't believe MOST of the guys feel that way. It is legal and he is proud of the fish. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it is right, and I get tired of guys bad mouthing someone for keeping a fish that may be the biggest fish he has ever caught. I think it is everyone own choice if they choose to keep or release their fish of a lifetime. Will they get fished out maybe but that could be said about any fishery in Idaho. As long as people obey the laws that is all we can really ask. The rest is a personal choice.

Well MOST of the guys that fish DW are not on this forum, but we all agree on one thing the internet will kill off the big fish in deadwood wood. Fish & game is supposed to change harvest limits soon I hope they get on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skipjack24 View Post
    Well MOST of the guys that fish DW are not on this forum, but we all agree on one thing the internet will kill off the big fish in deadwood wood. Fish & game is supposed to change harvest limits soon I hope they get on it!
    So while we both might agree that too many large trout are being killed your kind of preaching to the choir since most of the guys that fish DW aren't on this forum.The internet will kill any fishing resource that is why most guys that fish a lot don't report their catches and where they caught them. The ones that do get posted are usually from newer guys that are pretty proud of their catch, The way to save any fishery is either through reduced harvest or slot limits of some kind.

From what I can tell its guys that have been using this forum for awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by mrichard View Post
    So while we both might agree that too many large trout are being killed your kind of preaching to the choir since most of the guys that fish DW aren't on this forum.The internet will kill any fishing resource that is why most guys that fish a lot don't report their catches and where they caught them. The ones that do get posted are usually from newer guys that are pretty proud of their catch, The way to save any fishery is either through reduced harvest or slot limits of some kind.

Default Big fish

I follow the law and only keep what I can. I try to help other fishermen catch fish whenever I can and I will continue to do just that. If you don't want to keep fish you don't have to--That is your choice--Just like it is mine to keep them if it is legal--People need to respect the law and stay within the legal limits--If you don't like the rules talk to Fish and Game and try to change them--I have helped several people catch fish at deadwood and taken people there fishing with moderate success on big fish anyone who wants information on different places I have fished is welcome to contact me and I will try to help them if I can

Default confused

I'm a bit confused. I don't understand why it is acceptable to take a big buck but not a big fish. I've kept some big fish and released some big fish. I've taken pictures of big game, and let them walk away. I have no problem with someone who legally kills a buck and puts it on the table. I do have a problem with those who kill just for the rack. I choose to no longer hunt, but will defend the right of others to do so.

If a fish is caught legally and is within the established limit, I feel it is the fisherman's choice to keep or release.

On another note, if we don't help others learn to hunt or fish the number of sportsmen will decline and we'll have even less voice in preserving our tradition. I'm grateful for those who taught me, and I'm willing to share with any who want to learn.

Physion

Some people have their heart in the right place but aren't always fully educated on fish biology. Returning big fish is generally a good idea for systems that have natural reproduction to keep a healthy gene pool. HOWEVER, in most cases, the really big fish are old enough to have grown past their reproductive years. There is a reason that hatcheries will dump their brood stock as giant planters from time to time.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeet View Post
    Perfect! Guess I'm forced to fish this weekend,,, oh shucks. I'll be in a 21ft green custom weld. If anyone wants to stop by and say hello. I'll Likely have a big goofy yellow lab and my son with me.

Are any issues or info I need to know about the ramp?
    I was watching for you but I didn't ever see anyone I thought would be you. Did you make it up there?

Fishing was good. I brought home 75 kokes for my 3 days. Spent the afternoons looking for those big rainbows, cuts, and chins. Either I didn't have what they wanted, I just plain wasn't lucky, or I wasn't doing it right. I did have 1 hit that seemed to be a bigger fish, but it didn't stay on long, so it would be hard to know for sure.

Some of the Kokes were starting to blush up. How much longer will they be good to eat?

Some of the kokes were getting red--I think you have about 2 weeks and they should be getting fairly red I fished the 5th 6th 7th and 8th-- We will be going back for the big fish in august and september

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    I was watching for you but I didn't ever see anyone I thought would be you. Did you make it up there?

Fishing was good. I brought home 75 kokes for my 3 days. Spent the afternoons looking for those big rainbows, cuts, and chins. Either I didn't have what they wanted, I just plain wasn't lucky, or I wasn't doing it right. I did have 1 hit that seemed to be a bigger fish, but it didn't stay on long, so it would be hard to know for sure.

Some of the Kokes were starting to blush up. How much longer will they be good to eat?
    Wow. You did better than I did. I got up there a day late, transmission in my truck went out on my way up. This is the 2nd time in a year! So I was forced to either miss a weekend of fishing or buy a new truck. Needless to say, I broke my new truck in the right way!! I caught some really nice fish, about 10 in the mornings and 10 in the evenings. So 30-40 overall. Spent the rest of the day hanging out with the family.

Seemed like most of my success was east of the island trolling north, and they liked pink hoochie's, dodger color didn't seem to matter. Caught most of my fish in 70 FOW at about 20 ft down. Tried trolling the middle at 30ft down. But only caught a few.. I'm figuring it out, but still learning that's for sure.

Few I kept the first night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	8696  

The real big rainbows that are not Gerrard's take years 6-9 to hit 15+ pounds, also the Gerrard's which have black down there spine and look more like a steelhead from the gill forward do not get replanted.. The others grow pretty fast an can bounce back. Everyone has the right to keep what they want, but very few anglers understand the long line of breeding it takes to produce these fish. Before word "got out" on the big fish you could catch 6-10 a day. Now days hook 1-3 per trip. Couple more years who knows, but big fish numbers are in the decline. #Catch&Release

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Some people have their heart in the right place but aren't always fully educated on fish biology. Returning big fish is generally a good idea for systems that have natural reproduction to keep a healthy gene pool. HOWEVER, in most cases, the really big fish are old enough to have grown past their reproductive years. There is a reason that hatcheries will dump their brood stock as giant planters from time to time.

Last year my buddy caught 8 rainbows 7-14 pounds in one day using a Lyman November plug 200 ft behind the boat 20 ft deep. That is the best day that I know of. My best day was 3 fish 16 1/2--9--11 I kept the 16 1/2 and had it mounted

That is one big beautiful trout!
    Always knew about the big trout, chinook and kokes...
    I've been wanting to get up there for years but never had the time.
    So I think Ill be heading up sometime over the next few weeks. If anyone sees a big pontoon boat with a broken trailer axle on the side of the road in, that be me.

Feel free to pm any advice... (nice advice gents)... that'd be great.

Hi guys, in the past i've always camped on the peninsula at the northern end of the lake along the 556 road. However i'd like to fish a little closer to the dam and it would take me an hour to get there in my little boat so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the camping situation along the eastern shore of the lake. There will be 4 of us going up this weekend with 2 tents. Is it just designated campgrounds over there or are there other random places to camp along the road on that side of the lake? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast