Thread: Kokanee fishing terms. What do they all mean?

Cool Kokanee fishing terms. What do they all mean?

So I'm pretty new to Kokanee fishing. In the past I've only really targeted them while ice fishing. This trolling thing is pretty new to me. As I read and get started I realize there are some terms you "Koke-addicts" use that I'm not sure I understand.

For instance: Long-lining. Exactly what you do mean by Long-lining, and does everyone mean the same thing, or can this mean several different things?

If there are other terms that might seem useful to define here, please help out.

Thanks. Good catching.......

To me Long-lining means fishing with you line out 75' or more back from the boat with little or no weight.
    White 1875 Lund Impact & Scotty downriggers

Good to know. That is a bit different from what another "Koke-addict" told me.

To him, long-lining meant using some type of long string of trolling spinners, ie. pop-gear, FF, etc.

I suspected that different people had different meanings and your response confirms it. It will be interesting to see if others use that same term for something other than either of those.

Ya I guess i could expanded a little more. Sorry! When I ready about Long-lining I usually assume they are using some sort of lake-troll. F.F., cow bells, toll-lights, flashers on a long set back.

Quote Originally Posted by JKToons View Post
    Ya I guess i could expanded a little more. Sorry! When I ready about Long-lining I usually assume they are using some sort of lake-troll. F.F., cow bells, toll-lights, flashers on a long set back.
    So what would you call it if you were using that gear, but using a heavy 4-8 oz trolling weight (no downrigger), and fishing basically straight down or a short distance behind the boat?

"So what would you call it if you were using that gear, but using a heavy 4-8 oz trolling weight (no downrigger), and fishing basically straight down or a short distance behind the boat?"

I'd call that no fun at all. Who wants to catch a 1 - 2 lb fish with the drag of 4 - 8 oz of weight and some cow bells or a ford fender? I would consider long lining using a trolling weight of any size 50 plus feet behind the boat. Little or no weight would be just below the surface, the more weight and line out, the more depth attained. I prefer to use ball trolls (a long series of flashers attached directly to my downrigger ball) and fish 10 or so feet behind those with no extra weight, flashers or dodgers when I can get away with it. Flashlights by Macks Lures are a relatively light weight, low resistance option, and I'm having some luck with Macks hot wings which are pretty small and light.

Your probably going to get a different definition from everyone. I first thought it was when you didn't have a line counter reel and you simply let out a lot of line. I now think most people are just saying they didn't use a down rigger or diver.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    "So what would you call it if you were using that gear, but using a heavy 4-8 oz trolling weight (no downrigger), and fishing basically straight down or a short distance behind the boat?"

I'd call that no fun at all. Who wants to catch a 1 - 2 lb fish with the drag of 4 - 8 oz of weight and some cow bells or a ford fender? I would consider long lining using a trolling weight of any size 50 plus feet behind the boat. Little or no weight would be just below the surface, the more weight and line out, the more depth attained. I prefer to use ball trolls (a long series of flashers attached directly to my downrigger ball) and fish 10 or so feet behind those with no extra weight, flashers or dodgers when I can get away with it. Flashlights by Macks Lures are a relatively light weight, low resistance option, and I'm having some luck with Macks hot wings which are pretty small and light.
    Call it what you want, I guess. I prefer catching over no catching. And it's still pretty fun when they go ballistic as they get up to the boat.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post

My friend has some of the flash lites and maybe some of the hot wings as well. He was catching on those. They are pretty cool looking, I have to admit. Perhaps I'll try some of those down the road. Right now I need to cut back on my spending or my wife might cut me off, if you know what I mean.........

Default long lining

Quote Originally Posted by hooknhunter View Post
    So I'm pretty new to Kokanee fishing. In the past I've only really targeted them while ice fishing. This trolling thing is pretty new to me. As I read and get started I realize there are some terms you "Koke-addicts" use that I'm not sure I understand.

For instance: Long-lining. Exactly what you do mean by Long-lining, and does everyone mean the same thing, or can this mean several different things?

If there are other terms that might seem useful to define here, please help out.

Thanks. Good catching.......
    To me long lining is running a lot of line out the back pulling a small white grub or small minnow type lure.
    On Roosevelt the Owner Cultiva in the #33 in particular outfishes everything else. https://www.ownerhooks.com/catalog/p...c559ac5sbltfh7
    The length of the line will be determined by the conditions. If the water is flat smooth I would have 100' of line out but heavy water and or colored water maybe 50-75' is enough. Keep in mind mono filament line floats and fluorocarbon line sinks so your lure will go slightly deeper with fluoro. You will be surprised by the number and quality of fish in the upper few feet of the water column.
    Last edited by clawman; 07-08-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    Take time before time takes you