Thread: Trolling with I/O questions

Default Trolling with I/O questions

My boat is just too big and heavy to troll all day with any wind with my electric trolling motor. I tried with my I/O into the wind and it was 3mph. Added an easytroller trolling plate and into a mild wind, I am down to 1.9 to 2.0. I want 1.5 to 1.6. I have heard of using a 5 gallon bucket, but I have no clue on how to do that. Do you need to drill holes in the bucket. If so, how many. Will one bucket slow me down enough. Would I be better off with a small sock (sea anchor).

Default Buckets work

Quote Originally Posted by crappieslayer View Post
    My boat is just too big and heavy to troll all day with any wind with my electric trolling motor. I tried with my I/O into the wind and it was 3mph. Added an easytroller trolling plate and into a mild wind, I am down to 1.9 to 2.0. I want 1.5 to 1.6. I have heard of using a 5 gallon bucket, but I have no clue on how to do that. Do you need to drill holes in the bucket. If so, how many. Will one bucket slow me down enough. Would I be better off with a small sock (sea anchor).
    I use one or sometime two sea anchors. I had used buckets in the past. I did not find the need to drill holes in the buckets. When I use my sea anchors I use one off each corner of the stern so the boat will not keep wanting to turn. I try to get to .8 to 1.2 mph. On a wind free day I use an electric trolling motor. What a joy it is to have no motor noise. I found that just running the electric trolling motor and using the large motor to steer works great. My kicker has an EZSteer attached to the big motor.

I monitor my speed with a Luhr Jensen Troll‑Speed Indicator. The device is way over priced but I bought one form a junk dealer that had no idea what is was or how it worked.

Good luck on the water!