• Keep a limit and continue to C&R kokanee

1 8.33%
  • Keep a limit and target another species

6 50.00%
  • practice C&R only

1 8.33%

Thread: Some thoughts on C&R of kokanee salmon

Default Some thoughts on C&R of kokanee salmon

THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ANY ONE ANGLER OR GROUP OF ANGLERS.

However, I would like to offer this up for your consideration and possible implementation if, and only if, you deem it appropriate for yourself and your fishing philosophy. I知 talking about catch & release of kokanee salmon and only kokanee salmon.

There are studies available that indicate the mortality rate of caught & released kokanee salmon is higher than for almost any other species of fish. There is even a good article on this subject from our own DWR: Kokanee: to release or to keep?

Regardless of release methods, some of these caught fish are going to die. For me, I stop targeting salmon when I have my water specific limit on ice and change lures to those more appropriate to other game fish such as lake trout, rainbows, or cutts. I did catch a kokanee in the Gorge last year in 70 feet of water on a j-plug in August and had to release it because I already had my 3-fish limit. Stuff happens and I regret having to do that knowing that that fish probably did not survive that encounter.

I知 not calling anybody unethical for continuing to target kokanee after keeping their limit, but would ask that you consider not continuing to fish for them just to rack up high numbers of kokanee caught in a day or during a multi-day trip.

If you池e not a fish eater, then give them to friends or neighbors who would love to have some fresh caught salmon; trust me, they will be very thankful for the gift.

The kokanee resource is a finite one and limits are in place for a reason. And again, THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ANY ONE. Thanks for listening and I値l step down off the soap box now.
    Last edited by dubob; 06-07-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add link

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Have to agree. It's too bad that unless they shake themselves loose early on they typically will not survive. I love eating what I catch but it is a shame keeping 10-12" fish this time of year.

Thumbs up Catch and Release

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ANY ONE ANGLER OR GROUP OF ANGLERS.

However, I would like to offer this up for your consideration and possible implementation if, and only if, you deem it appropriate for yourself and your fishing philosophy. I知 talking about catch & release of kokanee salmon and only kokanee salmon.

There are studies available that indicate the mortality rate of caught & released kokanee salmon is higher than for almost any other species of fish. There is even a good article on this subject from our own DWR: Kokanee: to release or to keep?

Regardless of release methods, some of these caught fish are going to die. For me, I stop targeting salmon when I have my water specific limit on ice and change lures to those more appropriate to other game fish such as lake trout, rainbows, or cutts. I did catch a kokanee in the Gorge last year in 70 feet of water on a j-plug in August and had to release it because I already had my 3-fish limit. Stuff happens and I regret having to do that knowing that that fish probably did not survive that encounter.

I知 not calling anybody unethical for continuing to target kokanee after keeping their limit, but would ask that you consider not continuing to fish for them just to rack up high numbers of kokanee caught in a day or during a multi-day trip.

If you池e not a fish eater, then give them to friends or neighbors who would love to have some fresh caught salmon; trust me, they will be very thankful for the gift.

The kokanee resource is a finite one and limits are in place for a reason. And again, THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ANY ONE. Thanks for listening and I値l step down off the soap box now.

I totally agree. I fished Strawberry last Friday and had a limit in 66 minutes. About half of the fish were 3 year olds. I could have released them for bigger ones and fished longer, but they always go belly up, so I always keep them if they are legal size. It should just be standard practice.

I know we typically always catch our limit and then fish for something entirely different but I also have to admit that a couple times I have probably gone longer than I should. Forgive me I am a weak man but I'm trying

Quote Originally Posted by usemdw View Post

I totally agree. I fished Strawberry last Friday and had a limit in 66 minutes. About half of the fish were 3 year olds. I could have released them for bigger ones and fished longer, but they always go belly up, so I always keep them if they are legal size. It should just be standard practice.
    Selective sizing seems to be the a primary mode of operation at the Gorge, and it's kind of hard to trash anyone for that with the restrictive three fish limit compared to the effort and expense most of us have to expend to fish there.

That said, I have long advocated that regulations be considered to increase the limit at the Gorge with the stipulation that all kokes be kept and no C&R allowed after a limit is reached similar to what Utah did on perch in select water(s) a few years ago. Now I know that some will say that people will not abide by such a rule though I believe that most of the fishing fraternity will.
    Last edited by smokepoles; 06-08-2016 at 09:22 AM.

I think the reason the Kokanee fishing is so good on the Gorge is because of the 3 fish limit. Even though it is a put and take fisherie, there is a natural spawn that keeps populations at this level. That lake is the best Kokanee lake in the country and has been for years. Let's not screw it up by upping the limits. There are plenty of lakes out there to fill your cooler. As for releasing the fish, you will find very few Kokanee with healed hook marks. This is because they don't survive. They only live in the live well a few minutes..even with cold water. Guys that catch 50 a day may be killing at least half those fish. We really don't know. I have no need to brag to freinds about how many I caught, or show pics of limits on the internet. 3 kokes is plenty for me.