Thread: Lake Merwin fishing report

Default Lake Merwin fishing report

Went up to Merwin this last Saturday fished hard for about 7 hours landed 16 lost 4 or 5, most were in the 11 to 13 inch category and a bit on the skinny side, but good fighters. Water temp was around 49 degrees. Fished mostly hoochies but did try a few spinners, hoochies were best producers by far. Oddly enough pink was not the color they wanted as we landed most on white or green, a couple on blue. The UV/Red Eye Sling Blade with a pink hoochie has been my go to for the last several years but it didn't even get a bump. We were running 1 to 2 onces out 25 to 45 feet. Water was cloudy with lots of floating logs, branches, etc. Early on it was hard to find a clear area to troll however as the day went on and a light breeze picked up it seemed that much of it cleared making it easier to troll. As the water warms and clears the bite should pick up. Personally I didn't see many nets getting raised in other boats so I can't say how the bite was for others. I will warn you all that if you are planning on going up to Merwin in the near future be extra cautious when speeding around the lake, look out for logs (BIG ONES!) some you could hardly see.
    Good luck!

I fished merwin on mon the 11th. Pretty slow. Only 2 fish in the boat. I released a couple small koke, and a few hits that didn't stick. DR's at 5 and 10ft with a 150ft set back. Water temp was 50. Pink and orange hoochies behind dodgers.

I too was at Merwin on the 11th, very slow, fished with no weight as well as with 1 and 2 ounces, green hoochies, pink/blue and all pink caught the fish. No DR's so was going out 25 to 75 feet. Landed 7 one of which was tiny that we threw back. The fish are really spread out, it was a great day of fishing, it was the catching that was the challenge. Water still murky needs to clear a bit and levels need to stabilize before the bite is going to turn on.

fished Merwin today, wind was a howling!!! tough fishing managed to pick up 6 but it was tough trolling in the conditions.

How deep and what area did u find them. I going to try and go wed.

We didn't have DR's so early on (6AM) we managed 3 right off the bat, all 3 caught out 75 feet with 1oz of weight using an gold Arrow Flash/UV flasher and a white hoochie, we also got one on the UV red eye sling blade with a Pink hoochie. We caught all 3 in the area just around the point heading for the falls where we could get out of the wind for a couple hundred yards. Then we went up to the dam and used 2oz out 35 feet, we caught one on a shrimp colored hoochie with a nickel and gold herring bone sling blade. Another on a green and black hoochie with a nickel / UV Arrow Flash and another on the pink hoochie / red eye UV Sling Blade set up. We did mark more fish this trip, but they were scattered any where from 30 to 60 feet but no big schools. We tried 3oz's and fished various depths with a multitude of colors and scents with no results. We caught most our fish using pink corn that I had prepared the night before but a couple on white corn as well, all the corn was mixed in tuna oil. We did try a couple other scents with no results.
    The area in front of Woodland Park has produced but it was just too windy to fish effectively yesterday. The wind began to subside early afternoon but we needed to go in so can not tell you if this area was still producing or not. Talking to others at the ramp we did as good or better than other folks, the only net I saw raised was in our boat...haha so I know it was slow for most everyone!
    Good Luck Wednesday let us know how you did.

Thanks for the info I will let u know how I do tomorrow.

Fished wed 4/20. On the water at 6:30. I headed west from the boat launch just past the point pretty much in the middle maybe a little north of middle set one DR at 5ft and the other at 10ft. Pink and white hoochies with arrow flash dodger on one rod and orange deadly venom hoochies with arrow flash dodger on the other rod. About ten min. And I had a double going landed both.i got things going again same set up 30 min. Later another double landed only one of those .so I made big circles just past the point past the falls area. The next hour only one more fish. Moved past woodland park and trolled that area for an hour nothing. So I went back towards the launch on south side past the slide area and lost a small one there so I trolled to the north side and had another double only landed one. Ended up the 5 for 8. The last two I had on were at 16ft on the dr.i talked one guy at the launch he said he didn't even have a bite.

yup that's the way it's been, some get a few and others get nothing, over all pretty slow and to this point pretty disappointing. Well, good job getting 5 thanks for the report.

I went out last Saturday, Only caught two Kokes but did land a 5lb 10 oz Rainbow over by the dam.

Nice yea the kokanee fish has Been slooooow!how deep were u fishing down by the dam when u picked up your bow? I picked ups few of those triploids last year down by the dam.

I had 1/2 OZ, out 70' when I "Snagged" the Trout, I say snagged because that's what I thought it was at first and I could not understand how I got snagged so shallow in 75' of water.
    Went out again Saturday but still really slow, we could not keep the Squaw Fish off the lines but the wife did manage to land 1 Koke.

Put in at 7am y-day I didn't see much on the fish finder and started off with setting 1 rigger at 10 ft. and the other at 5 ft. Never got a bite for hours anywhere from 5-30 ft. down. I decided to freshen up my corn on both rods and I reached over and popped out one rod from the rigger and just leaned it up against the rail while I got the other one out. As I was reeling in the other rod and the one leaned against the rail with the hoochie and flasher on the surface got a fish on it. By this time it must of been around 1:30 before 1st fish in the box. So I got the rods re-baited and sent them out 120 feet back with no weight or clipped in the downriggers, just ridding just below the surface film and it was on!!! I got 5 more Kokes in the box and 1 monster rainbow and lost 5 more close to the boat. Other than that I only saw 1 other boat catch 1 Kokanee and another haul out a nice rainbow out of the 20 or so boats out there for the day.
    Grab yourself a Koke

I'm glad I found em u just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdbro View Post
    I'm glad I found em u just never know.
    I fished merwin mon the 23rd. The kokes are scattered, I caught fish from 10ft to 35ft on th dr. Arrow dodgers with pink and orange hoochies. We fished from the rope swing to the Lmch and ended the day with 6,12 inchers and put back 5 smaller kokes. Fished from 7 to 1pm. Tuna soaked corn.

Default Turning out to be a very poor year at Merwin worst in years

Quote Originally Posted by Jdbro View Post
    I fished merwin mon the 23rd. The kokes are scattered, I caught fish from 10ft to 35ft on th dr. Arrow dodgers with pink and orange hoochies. We fished from the rope swing to the Lmch and ended the day with 6,12 inchers and put back 5 smaller kokes. Fished from 7 to 1pm. Tuna soaked corn.