Thread: Bellingham - Samish?

Default Bellingham - Samish?

Hi,

I am a Tacoma/Vancouver long time kokanee fisherman. Now living in Bellingham. Usually Merwin would be getting a bite about this time of year. Is Samish similar? I have a power boat, but love to get out in the Hobie PA on lakes for kokanee... any hints on hot spots and timing?

Cheers,

Westy

Hi,
    Water is still to cold. Need's to be 50 or more for this lake to turn on. It could happen this week with temps to hit 70 by Friday. The key is warm nights. As far as hot spots. When its on its on, stay in that 60 foot range and you will find fish.

Tight lines.

Buster - Thanks for the info. I think I will give it a GO this Saturday! I'll post a report.

Westy - Lake Samish is a great lake to fish. I am probably partial to it since it is about 15 minutes from my house and the fishing is pretty consistent. Traffic is slow and it is quiet in the early morning. I agree with Buster that the better fishing is after the water warms up a bit but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it now. This is about the time of year I start hitting it on the weekends and it just gets better and better. Here are a couple of keys I have found for fishing Samish:

Go early. The fishing is the best right as the sun is coming up. The bite will stick off and on until it starts to get hot but you can't beat the first light bite.
    You don't have to go far from the ramp. If you put the boat in and follow the shore line on the right hand side or west end of the lake below the freeway you will find fish. (also cut throats) You can also put in at the ramp and start heading directly across the lake toward the other side. (east side) I usually hit it at an angle and troll to the left of a direct line by a hundred yards or so then keep working back and forth.
    If you aren't getting bites try a different color. I usually do red wedding rings and pink micro hoochies at first. Keep moving around until you find the right depth. I usually start off with one rod shallow and one rod deeper and adjust according to the bite and electronics. Say 15ish and 25-30. The later in the year the deeper I start. I also find that 1.0 to 1.1 are the best speeds.

I realize some of this is pretty basic but I thought it might be worth mentioning and save you some trouble.

Let us know how it goes. I am in a bright red Thunder Jet when I am out.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR