Thread: New to fishing Wickiup

Default New to fishing Wickiup

Fine Fishing Fellows, my wife and I will be making another attempt at fishing Wickiup. The last attempt was a bust, as my outboard quit about 100 yds out from launching. Couldn't figure out the problem, later at home I found a small recognizable disk laying about the tiller arm- it was the welch plug from the carburetor! Couldn't believe it didn't fall into the water.

Anyway, my wife and I have reservations at Gull Point again for the first part of June.
    This time I have downriggers and a fish finder!!!

Here's my question - where do you suggest I troll for Kokanee? The channels, by the dam or ???

Your expertise and suggestions are much appreciated.

Both are fine locations.

In the first part of June the Davis arm would be my first try, then head further to the east until you find the fish. Later in the month the Deschutes arm becomes more involved. At least these have been my experience, others are far more expert on Wickiup than I. When in doubt, go where the boats are until you learn the lake, they are usually there for a reason. That being said, those who catch consistent limits and bigger fish are many times not with the other boats, keep your eyes out. A good pair of binoculars is a very important part of your tackle box.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Thanks, that's what I'll do and keep an eye out for where the boats are clustered.