Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Wickup Reports

Awesome Dave, thanks for the info and report.

Back again today with my son in tow. A bit slower but still some catching to do. Let my Dad sleep in an hour later today and hit the water just after 6. Boated 30 and off the water at 11. A few big one today, biggest was 2# 11oz. Same tactics and hootchies as yesterday. More wind and cooler temps but less rain. Still not as bad and manageable compared to forecasts I was looking at. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	8521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	8522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	8523

Fished in Davis the whole time today. 10-12' on the riggers with long setbacks. Micro hootchies were much better than spinners.

Awesome day on the water with Chukardave1!!!! Best opener ever!!! Put our 2015 Opening Day catch of 42 in the dust!!!! Thanks Son!!!!!

And I was grateful for the extra hour of sleep!!! Opener was a blast but being on the water with son and grandson, tops everything!!! And 30 more kokes for the grill and smoker is just an added treat!!!

Hey boys, leave some for us!!!!!!

Made it back up for a couple trips Friday and Saturday. On Friday I went in a buddies boat. I got up there a bit later after they had been fishing. Had some trollling motor problems and then the wind kicked up. Nothing consistent but caught most on spinners and apex but a couple of micro hootchie. No big fish but put 14 average fish in the cooler. Saturday took my boat and son and neighbor up. Got a few small fish right away on a variety of spinners nothing on hootchies or apex. Got really slow after about 7. Picked up a couple in the next four hours. Ended up finding a few big fish that hit the surface rods and hootchies. Last fish of the day was a really nice 20" pig falling to a PPT pink hootchie. Pulled the plug at 2 with 15, 3 over 18.5". For both days no real pattern and lots of gear changing.

Did the lake dry up or what, no reports for a few days lol, heading up on Sunday for 4 days of fishing. Looking forward to the trip after last years visit

We are heading that way on Wednesday afternoon for five days (derby). Maybe we will run into you in passing.....take your campsite when you move out
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Were staying at Twin Lake resort, got 10 today with a 2.7 and 2.6 our biggest, no pattern to the gear all but 1 lure was a one and done, chartruse hoochies spinner got two, best depth was 22' at 1.5-1.7 range ( wind affected speeds lol) caught fish from mouth of Davis and the down toward Dam working the south side. Good luck in the derby.

Another very successful and fun derby. Had my best friend Dennis down from WA, my 8 yo son for his first derby, and Brian Russell (Fall River Guy) coming out of medically necessitated injured reserve status. Weather was iffy but not nearly as bad as the forecast. Sounds like most of the rain went to the north and east of us.

Had steady action from the jump until about 7 am. No real pattern other than spinners were preferred to start then hootchies after about 6 am. Surface lines and down riggers at 10-13' were all getting hit. Pinks, orange, chartreuse, purple, green(color really didn't seem to matter) Had several nice fish that would hit the down riggers and rocket to the surface and jump and be gone before you could catch up with the reel.

Did have an "Oh $hi#" moment. I had a nice fish hit on a surface line and was trying to land it. Brian had just landed a fish on the port down rigger setup. While trying to net this pig our starboard down rigger goes off and that fish is back jumping out of the water behind the boat. The close big fish is not cooperating and running back and forth behind the boat. While trying to get a net under this fish the other down rigger rod with the other fish on flopping behind the boat gets hit by the net handle and lifted out of the rod holder and into the water the rod goes getting pulled away quickly by the fish on the other end. I am ****** but we land the pig and that makes me feel a little better. I go into the cuddy and grab a backup rod and start rigging that up. The middle down rigger rod starts thumping and Brian grabs that rod and starts reeling it in. Says it feels funny and may have hooked the other rod. I have no hope that this is the case so I continue rigging the replacement rod. When they get close we see a line tangled and Dennis grabs that line and starts pulling in the line. To my amazement in comes the deep sixed rod, they get the tangle out and start reeling in the rest of the line and turns out the fish is still on and we manage to land that one too.

The fishing slowed down considerably after about 9. Scratched out one or two here and there. Ended at around 1:30 with 26 fish in the cooler, also shook off a really small fish at the boat. Biggest five weighing in at 10.99 lbs. Good enough for third place. Congrats to Rbreckel on a super batch of pigs he turned in. Incredible catch.

Miles took second in the junior division and was thrilled with his trophy and box of R & K gear he won.

Thanks to KPO for another fun derby.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21May16 derby fish.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	8559
    Last edited by chukardave1; 05-24-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks for the invite. It was nice to finally get out fishing again even if not at full strength. That "event" was most definitely the highlight of the day. To go from the bitter sweet feeling of loosing a rod, but catching our biggest fish of the day, to pure elation with high-5s and fist pumps was priceless. I am glad I was there to experience the ride.

I agree with Joe, there should be a rule against you two fishing together.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Was out this weekend Fri, Sat and Sun for about 3-4 hours each morning. It is as slow as I have seen it. Got 9 fri, 6 sat, and 5 sun. Was solo on Saturday and lost a pig at the net when my hook hung in the net but the fish wasn't in it yet. Did pick up a 19.5 and 20.5" yesterday which helped ease the sting a bit. No pattern to speak of. Seemed to be hootchies over spinners. surface lines got fish Fri and Sunday, no hits on Sat, even had two on sunday hit the surface lines and break the hooks off the leader on the take. Both fish came out of the water several times as they tried to shake the hooks they now had in their mouths and both were really nice fish 19"+. Had my son and his friend out with me who had never caught a fish. They had a blast(each landed 2 fish) until the action died and then wondered when they could go back to camp and take the kayaks out. Downriggers 20-30' would also get some fish. Water was up to 69 when I pulled out. But I know it gets cool really quick as you go down. I had to reset my buoy anchor off the beach that I tied my boat to. Dove down to about 10' and it was noticeably cooler even at that depth.

Great report, I am thinking of a trip over on the 24th/25th, keep us posted. I may have a guest with me and I really want his trip from Portland to be worth the effort.
    David

Default I understand!!!

That's OK son!!! I've been out with you a couple times and wondered just like Miles and his friends, when are we going to head back to camp!!!!!

Love you Son!!!!!!

Fishing has been pretty slow as of late. I have a feeling the low water of last year put a dent in the population. Was back up on Friday and found a decent bite and put 19 in the boat that morning. Including a few nice fish up to 20". Was hoping that was a sign things were going to turn on a bit. Went back yesterday with my son. Cold and foggy to start. Fishing was definitely slower than Friday. Miles landed 6 of our 8 fish including 3 that were over 20", biggest in photo weighed 2# 15ozs. He had a blast fighting those fish. Taking line and lots of aerials made for epic battles.

Water temp was 69 two weekends ago and then back down to 63 yesterday. Water is dropping fast and on pace right now to be lower than last year

All but 2 or 3 fish came on hootchies. No pattern really but pink, orange, and red variations all got time and caught some fish. No one rig really produced more than a couple fish at any given time so keep changing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0810.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	8630  

Default Fathers Day

Father's Day. Took my son out early around 6 and then had my wife and daughter meet us up at the lake at a bit more respectable hour. Very foggy for the first couple hours. Mom and Karli showed up at 9:30 and we ran to pick them up at the dock with 18 fish in the cooler. Went back out and found another 13 with the whole clan on board. Shook off a couple dinks but overall a nice grade of fish. Only 1 over 20" on this trip. Loaded up at 12:30 and headed over to South Twin for a fathers day lunch. Perfect day in my book, my wife is thankful she doesn't have to do it again for another year

Great bite considering how it has been. Water has cooled significantly(58*) and fish were up in the water column around 18' up to the surface. Orange, white, and yellow hootchies and flies were the ticket today. Only went through about 4-5 gear changes all morning. Tried the new water wolf camera and hope there is something to look at when I can finally figure out how to download and view the video. Biggest fish of the day came on the camera rig so I am really hopeful there is some decent video and I deployed it correctly.

Name:	IMG_0817.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	8645  

Fishing was good last weekend. Fished Friday through Sunday in the mornings. Boated 92 in the three mornings. Highlight was my son on Sunday made a homemade lure he concocted out of a couple different rigs he found snagged in the stumps the day before. I never thought it would work well but put it out and had a fish on in the first 5 minutes it was out. The second fish it caught was a "warthog" as my son called it because thats bigger than a pig. 22.5" and 4# 1oz after bleeding. New boat record for us. That same rig continued to catch fish the rest of the morning too. Fished averaged 18". Most came on gold dodgers and pink hootchies about 15' on the rigger.

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	8754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	8755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0894.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	8756  

Well I normally fish LBC or Simtustus, and have done fairly well with kokes and trout, but still learning. I fish these lakes as I live in Culver. I would love to go up to Wickiup, didn't realize there were larger kokes up there. but not a clue where to start. I have most of my luck using Kokanee trolls with wedding rings. Haven't done so well with dodgers and hoochies. I don't use down riggers as my boat just isn't made for them, but I do use banana weights to get down some. SO, with out giving up all your favorite secrets can someone give me a little help on this lake to get started. If you would rather just e mail me info that would be fine. shalamaraminis@live.com

I've already learned a few things on this forum. Thanks!!

Without down riggers I would stop by the south twin store and pick up a few of the Paulina Peak gold big eye dodgers. They have a few different colors of tape on them but you want the gold base, tape color doesn't seem to be an issue. These are the skateboard style not the teardrop style. Also grab a few of the Paulina peak hootchies in shades of pink, pink/white, red and orange. Tie about a one foot leader for the hootchies. Also make sure you have 1/4 oz and 1/2oz weights(no more than this or you will just constantly be snagging bottom). Tie on the weight and then about an 18-24" section of line and then tie on your dodger and hootchie. Add tuna corn and put this back about 120'-140' behind the boat. Speed is 1.4-1.6. With this setup you will be getting down about 15-20'. When you find yourself in the shallows, and you will, reel in the rod then make your way back into deeper water and redeploy. That should be enough to get you into some nice sized kokanee. Be warned though once you catch one of these fish the ones LBC will just seem boring by comparison.

Thanks chukardave1, that's a lot of help!!! Gets me in the right direction.

Default Likely last trip to Wickiup for 2016

I fished Saturday with my buddy Todd. We started on the Deschutes and fished the stretch to the confluence - not a bite. So I pulled up stakes and we headed up the Davis arm and we netted 8 fish. The largest was just over 3 lbs. They were still very bright and in great shape. I trolled gold Paulina Peak dodges and a variety of hoochies. Pink/Clear, Yellow/Orange splatter, Clown and a few others. The only hoochie to hook more than one was the pink/clear. With the water as low as it is and likely to be 25% of pool or lower by labor day weekend it's unlikely I'll be able to get my boat in again this season. 2016 was definitely (in 9 years of fishing Wickiup) the most prolific in terms of size. I hope to see those large koke's next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    I fished Saturday with my buddy Todd. We started on the Deschutes and fished the stretch to the confluence - not a bite. So I pulled up stakes and we headed up the Davis arm and we netted 8 fish. The largest was just over 3 lbs. They were still very bright and in great shape. I trolled gold Paulina Peak dodges and a variety of hoochies. Pink/Clear, Yellow/Orange splatter, Clown and a few others. The only hoochie to hook more than one was the pink/clear. With the water as low as it is and likely to be 25% of pool or lower by labor day weekend it's unlikely I'll be able to get my boat in again this season. 2016 was definitely (in 9 years of fishing Wickiup) the most prolific in terms of size. I hope to see those large koke's next year.
    Did you notice a water temperature difference between the two arms?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    Did you notice a water temperature difference between the two arms?
    DLM, I fished the confluence for one pass with not hits and the water temp was 66. I spent the rest of the morning on the Davis arm and the water temp over the course of the day. When I left the water it was pushing 70.

Interesting. I had heard there were some cold water springs up the Davis arm and I thought maybe that area would be running a little cooler than the other parts of the lake.
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12