Thread: How early....

Default How early....

Just sitting here watching the snow pile up and wondered how early have you got out in the spring to fish for kokanee? I was trying to think of what month I hit Strawberry last year. I was thinking mid April but can't remember for sure. I guess I'm getting antsy.

I think I got out in march last year and did ok for the kokanee
    I just know stuff...

My records say I've done ok mid March on Arrowrock and Lucky Peak. I'd be willing to wait a bit longer in exchange for more bad weather bringing in moisture for the mountains and ultimately for our lakes and reservoirs. The land is thirsty.

Physion

Ice is off by then in Idaho?

We can fish Lucky Peak most of the winter unless we get a really long, hard cold spell. I don't know how early Arrowrock is open. I don't like the road, so I only go there when the fish are a lot bigger than the ones from Lucky Peak or when the boat traffic on Lucky Peak is more than I want to endure. I did fish Arrowrock the middle of March last year and did ok. Depending on how full the reservoirs are, they are in the 3000 to 3200 feet range in elevation.
    Last edited by Physion; 01-24-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Nice. I never thought to check out the elevation.

We hit Strawberry in early April last year and were able to go from the marina over to soldier creek. We had to back over ice that had pushed up along the ramp though.
    Tim

The past 2 winters 2014 & 15 have been very mild for us here in Utah. A solid winter for Strawberry at the 8000' elevation usually is ice off in May time frame where as lower elevation lakes become ice off a little earlier. By winter standards we have been cold this season with snows piling on. Keep the snows coming. Fishing the Gorge in April is a very good time bows and kokes. Most ice there breaks up by then.

I got out 2 weeks ago and we did ok (Central Washington)

The bad thing about this time of year while waiting for ice off, is I start spending Money on stuff I may never use because I have so much. I'm starting to make most of my stuff
    I wish I had done a log years ago then would know when I started catching Kokes.
    I found this http://fisherslog.com/ for $20.00 so may try it. the bad thing is when you are getting 2 or 3 at a time it will be hard to keep up with the paper

I created a spreadsheet. I keep track of date, body of water, approximate location on the lake, the fish I catch, my partner, and any interesting notes. I can then sort on any of the columns to get specific information.

I've often thought about recording weather, lures, and depth, but conditions change enough from year to year that I'm not sure how useful that would be. If you had the device with you on the boat it would be easier to record the data. I don't think I'd remember all the details by the time I got back home.

I have tried several ways to record data when out in the boat and in the heat of the battle it becomes very difficult. I have found the easiest way is to use the voice record feature on my phone. it takes no time at all to simply speak what has just happened. Example: orange hoochie, garlic, gold vance dodger, 30ft deep, 10 foot setback, 2.5mph, 7:15am, (and some type of location depending on the lake). I can later play back the info and enter it in my log while enjoying an adult beverage.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

The bad thing about this time of year while waiting for ice off, is I start spending Money on stuff I may never use because I have so much
    AAAHHHHHH!!!!!! Boy do I fall into this group! Even with gas about 50% of what it's been for the last several years, I still may not be able to afford to go fishing if I don't stop buying fishing stuff.... (although I am excited to get my new FF installed next week!)

Might be a late start on the Gorge, rumor has it that linwood bay is locked up tight with thicknesses at the 12'' mark. Finally got an actual winter up here hope it melts fast!
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Might be a late start on the Gorge, rumor has it that linwood bay is locked up tight with thicknesses at the 12'' mark. Finally got an actual winter up here hope it melts fast!
    I seen where Lucerne had ice at the ramp & was thinking to myself that I cant remember the last time ive heard of ice being that far south

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    I have tried several ways to record data when out in the boat and in the heat of the battle it becomes very difficult. I have found the easiest way is to use the voice record feature on my phone. it takes no time at all to simply speak what has just happened. Example: orange hoochie, garlic, gold vance dodger, 30ft deep, 10 foot setback, 2.5mph, 7:15am, (and some type of location depending on the lake). I can later play back the info and enter it in my log while enjoying an adult beverage.
    I found this Free app It looks OK
    FishingMobile app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.fishinmobile

and I did a search for a voice recorder app and I installed one.
    thanks for the help

Kokanee fishing is hot right now at Lake Billy Chinook in Central Oregon. Mostly in 9-12 range. Limit is 5 though but can fish for bull trout as well. saw a 10 lb. 14 oz bull at the boat ramp when we pulled out yesterday.

Mike

in idaho, i pretty much catch fish as long as there is no ice on the water. Last year i started hitting up arrowrock this time of year. We went camping up there mid march, and it was like 75
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'