Thread: Kicker advice

Default Kicker advice

I'm looking to get a kicker motor for my 17 ft Weldcraft before next season and welcome any advice you have.

The main things I'm looking at are reliability, quiet trolling, and preferably a tank attached to the engine so I don't have a tank/hose to mess with in the boat. Something in the 4-6 hp range is probably adequate and will keep me at slow trolling speeds. 8 hp might be an option if it's significantly quieter than the smaller engines at idle.

I'll also need to install a kicker bracket, on the starboard side due to a swim ladder on the port. Anything I should avoid or consider with a bracket?

The main engine seems reliable (brand new 3.0 Mercruiser, I've put 100+ hours on it; the previous owner didn't winterize in time :) ), so I'm not overly concerned about needing a backup to get home, although not discounting it may happen someday.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you looking to buy new or used?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    Are you looking to buy new or used?
    Preferably used, but I'll go new if I can't find a decent used motor. All options are open between now and spring.

Attached are some pics of the stern of the boat showing where a kicker will be mounted, and the somewhat tight confines around the I/O shroud.

Also, the silver brackets on the sides by the rear seats are where the downriggers mount, and rod handles tend to stick back into the boat if I use the boat mounted rod holders which are right next to the downrigger plates. Getting to a motor through all this may be a challenge, so being able to set it and not hold onto the tiller constantly would be best.

(2nd try... reposting the pics)

Last edited by hooked; 08-30-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Reposting the pics

My suggestion is to stay with a 4stroke 8 or 9.9hp kicker. I use a remote troll kicker bracket for my 9.9 merc. A small cordless devise the size of a keyless entry for vehicles allows you to steer anywhere in the boat. This is a pricey item itself but worth it. A "T" fitting can be installed at main fuel line at tank. This way you can route a fuel line out of site with a primer bulb with easy access to a thru transom mount quick disconnect adapter. Install a short separate line with QD from transom adapter to kicker making for clean install. Not fond of carrying separate gas can to service a self contained kicker with its own mounted tank. This is how I'm set up and been using this for 10yrs now. The mercruiser 3.0 is also my main motor and does well.

http://remotetroll.com/

http://www.boatmotors.com/rebuilt_ou...n_id=778622564

http://onlineoutboards.com/

Bduck, it sounds like that's the optimal solution. Not sure the mrs. will let me spend that much, but a remote troll and a used 8 or 9.9 might be achievable. I hadn't thought about tying into the main fuel line to save an extra portable tank; good call. The more I look at 6 hp and below the less I like the single cylinder motors as they seem noisy with a lot of vibration.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that have had good luck with small outboards with their own fuel tank, but at least with the friends I know...well, they haven't had that great of luck. I think Bduck has a GREAT set up, and if you're going to keep that boat for a while and you can afford the $$$, it would be a nice way to go. LOL, basically, steering/operating the boat is only a pain in the ____ for the skipper, everyone else is going to enjoy fishing while you work your butt off! That's why I recommend to people looking for electric motors to get something like the ipilot, just so they can enjoy fishing more and working less!

I have my 4-S 8HP tied to my big motor and I use a trollmaster II for speed control, but I'd still rather troll with my electric if wind/current allows, simply because it's easier. Bduck's set up would be the same way, but not really be affected by wind/current.

Also, make sure if you buy a kicker bracket, you get one rated for 4-strokes (if that's what you end up with) they are about $300, not cheap!

Thanks, Bogey. Good stuff to think about.

I guess I should mention I have a foot pedal controlled electric motor up front, but don't really like it. It doesn't hold direction very well if there are any waves or wind. What's worse is the shaft is barely long enough to reach below waterline; if I move to the back of the boat to net a fish for someone the prop lifts out of the water and pulls the bow sideways from chopping at the water. It's okay for bass fishing and casting from up front, but not for trolling.

8 or 9.9 hp seems like the best option, now to figure out how to get there and set it up right. Really didn't want to put another $4k into the boat, at least not the first year I have it.

I went with a used Yamaha 8Hp 4 stroke off craigslist and could not be happier. I added a Tr1 system to it and it is the best.thing I could have done. I did not go wireless control as my boat is only 18' and. I don't guide or anything.

Attachment 8252
    Here is what I have.

Attachment 8252
    Here is what I have.

Hawgon, can you repost the pic? The attachment doesn't seem to work.

Here is what I have...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0110.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	8262
    Last edited by Hawgon; 09-05-2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: pics

Hawgon, nice. What's the bracket on the port side of the 8's lower unit?

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Hawgon, nice. What's the bracket on the port side of the 8's lower unit?
    Looks like a tr1 auto pilot actuator

Guess I've been ignoring changes in the boating world for a few years and haven't seen a TR1 before. Checked out some specs and there's a pretty neat video of one being used in waves and keeping course very well. Think I'll upgrade boats before I spend that kind of cash though. If money weren't an issue that would be a great way to go.

hooked

It is a Tr1. It did cost a pretty penny no doubt but with the layout of my old boat the kicker is hanging way out there off the back of the boat and would have been very uncomfortable and unsafe. I probably could have found a cheaper route but at the time I had the money and if nothing else it is pretty cool.