Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new boat, how should I deck it out?

Here is a pair of cannon mini-trolls with the rod holders on e-bay for about $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Cannon-Min...item463d5b1992. Take your savings and buy some chamberlin releases, a couple of shuttle hawks and some scotty rod holders. Scotty snubbers for the downrigger weights are a nice addition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    It is okay to start with 24". When the day comes that you get caught up in gear like the rest of us, the 24's can go out the back of the boat and you can get the 48" - 60" booms for the sides. In the short term, the 24" are easier to hook up and operate since they don't require a retriever cord.
    Exactly! If you are alone, 60" booms are at best a pain especially when the wind comes up. Keep it simple or you will decide that its too much work and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Don't be afraid keep asking question? Looked like alot of money for fire corn $5.95 just get Shoepeg corn at Safeway very I expense add a little tuna from a bumble can ( oil only) or crawdad,garlic your on your way. I found the best bigger trolls wish were hard to beat were the medium ford fender number 7/8. Give yourself some time you to will have boxes of stuff they aren't taken that day.
    I see Sportsmans in Meridian has Shoepeg Corn for $2.40 a can. Good thing I purchased a case early at $0.99 a can...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    Here is a pair of cannon mini-trolls with the rod holders on e-bay for about $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Cannon-Min...item463d5b1992. Take your savings and buy some chamberlin releases, a couple of shuttle hawks and some scotty rod holders. Scotty snubbers for the downrigger weights are a nice addition as well.
    I like my shuttle hawk, well, now that the release is adjusted correctly. I have not decided on the snubbers.

So I ended up having the shop in town hook up a
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Canno...er/1546918.uts

Sign for the boat tomorrow :D pretty excited!

One of my arguments against manuals and shuttle hawks is that hot fish at the back of the boat like to find the DR cables. No flipping a switch to clear lines with the manuals.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

While I have the 1101 (about a 24" boom) my wife has the 1106 (expandable) We very seldom expand it, especially when Kokanee fishing, it just seems easier having it short. Now maybe we're one good mess away from changing our minds, but I think you'd be OK with 24", unless like all of this "stuff", $$$ is not an issue - personally, it's about put me in the poor-house!

LOL, right now I'm transferring all my Walleye gear into a new BIGGER box..... I'm pretty sure it never ends until we do...

Have FUN with this whole experience!

Yeah I just went out and spent a grand today, I got the uni troll 10 stx because I was looking for a swivel base, I was going to go with the electric but it has a 2-1 return rate and I dont mind grabbing it :)

I plan on getting another one in the future so I have 2, then have 1 rod on each down rigger and 2 rods trolling through the back.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    One of my arguments against manuals and shuttle hawks is that hot fish at the back of the boat like to find the DR cables. No flipping a switch to clear lines with the manuals.
    Sooo, do we need to teach you how to herd them with them there long, limber rods?

I do like the 2' retrieve on some of them but that would probably screw-up my count when I raise and lower them as I putt along playing with depths.

Going to try lucky peak this next week, hopefully the fish are biting :)

DeltaDude,
    Nice looking boat you are putting together. Having the swivel bases will be nice and the uni troll 10 is a nice downrigger. I have two cannon electrics, but I have kept my manual uni troll as a backup downrigger when going to the coast or Canada to fish for Salmon. Electrics are nice, but the kokes around Boise are usually in the top 50 feet of water so the manuals aren't to bad. Picked up a couple of limits this last week from Lucky Peak and the deepest fish was at 35 ft. Most between 20 to 25 ft.
    What day you heading out? I will head out again after the Crazyness of the 4th of July is over.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Yeah I am going to try to avoid the water this week, I would likely be going out on monday or tuesday :)

I will keep an eye out for you. If ýou see a red and white Crestliner with Honda 90 don't hesitate to say hello.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I'll be in the 2006 Gold/Tan Tundra and the red 145 escape :)

If you guys see me stop me and say hi. Would love to hear some tips from the pros!

I got a lot of gear today, I went mostly pink/orange/red but I probably should stock up on other colors.

I got a bunch of the lures I listed earlier, not sure what combos I should run together for the trolls / lure.

I got a wiggle hoochie, I think I should pair it up with cowbells / beer cans? and regular hoochie with a sling blade maybe?

Any time you guys have suggestions, I am willing to learn and listen, just don't get mad when I catch them all

Would be cool to see someones setup from dodger / flasher to hook.

How long do you recommend I have the hook after the dodger / flasher?
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 07-02-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
    I'll be in the 2006 Gold/Tan Tundra and the red 145 escape :)

Any time you guys have suggestions, I am willing to learn and listen, just don't get mad when I catch them all

Would be cool to see someones setup from dodger / flasher to hook. How long do you recommend I have the hook after the dodger / flasher?
    Who knows, Saturday a Pink Dodger and ORANGE (no, really, really orange) spinner/squid of my own creation with green corn/pink maggot boated a limit at 22'. Sunday could not beg a bite on it but Model T pop gear and a red Kokabow caught my largest fish of the season at 10' down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qrange.jpg.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	8135

After a quick (1-2 seconds) hit with a flashlight...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flash.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	8136

I run some type of spinner (smile, willow, dakota, colorado) or some other type of attraction on all my squids so I run them back 11-12". I would go shorter on naked hoochies.
    Last edited by callelk; 07-02-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Would you use a dodger and a wiggle hoochie in combo?

Any lure that creates it's own action can be fished with any combo of flasher or dodger and a longer leader. If the lure like a traditional hoochie is "actionless" than a dodger with a short leader is best. Short leader being one and a half times the length of the dodge being used. I use a sling blade style dodger 90% of the time with a 8 to 9 inch leader on a hoochie. I will run my spinners behind a dodger on a 10 to 12 inch leader because the blade gives it it's own action.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

If you are trolling without the benefit of some kind of autopilot in a lake condition with any kind of wind, when you get a takedown the FIRST move is to punch in the spot as a waypoint/MOB ( man over board) then grab the rod & place the boat into a WIDE turn downwind...once down wind straighten the engine & let the wind steer your boat, you wanted to fish the spot you hooked up AGAIN!, & placing yourself BELOW the hook up spot with the aid of the wind is a "Win"/"Win"!...Mark

Well sadly I am not going to be able to troll

at least not yet, the guys told me to run the engine at different speeds everyone 10-15minutes for the first 10 hours.

Ya, I'd pay a LOT of attention to what the manual says, so if your motor blows up 47 minutes into using it, they can check their computer and know you did EVERYTHING by the book.... Yes, it happened to me...

wait... we actually have to read instructions? I thought boats were mostly for guys... don't they know guys don't read instructions...

Took the boat out today had a couple issues, for some reason our engine blew a fuse, it was easily replaceable but its brand new.

Also, I have the helix 5 sonar/gps the mph counter is off. We also tested it by driving around the block at 5mph, the gps was reading 8-9mph any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
    Took the boat out today had a couple issues, for some reason our engine blew a fuse, it was easily replaceable but its brand new.

Also, I have the helix 5 sonar/gps the mph counter is off. We also tested it by driving around the block at 5mph, the gps was reading 8-9mph any ideas?
    At what time during the useage of the engine ...Did the fuse Blow?!...............Starting?...Idle?...What percentage of throttle?

A blown fuse is usually indicative of a positive wire being grounded, thus creating a "short"...thus subsequently... blowing a fuse.

Is the fuse that blew, in a fuse panel aboard the boat or located under the engine cowling?...Mark

Quote Originally Posted by berryessakoke View Post
    At what time during the useage of the engine ...Did the fuse Blow?!...............Starting?...Idle?...What percentage of throttle?

A blown fuse is usually indicative of a positive wire being grounded, thus creating a "short"...thus subsequently... blowing a fuse.

Is the fuse that blew, in a fuse panel aboard the boat or located under the engine cowling?...Mark
    It was a fuse located under the engine cowling. We have an email sent in to Idaho marine, they are great I am sure they will help us out.

I am more concerned about my fish finder and the mph being so far off though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast