Thread: Paulina 5/28/15

Default Paulina 5/28/15

Dad and i got up to the lake today... first trip of the season. Jigging was SLOW. Once we switched to trolling we limited out in a couple hours. All caught on customized apex's (pro troll and hot spot produced equally.) 35' down, 1.4 mph, koke special corn. Dodgers were Vances purple and blue. Marked most fish on the west end in middle of lake. The kokanee are larger/fatter than previous seasons this early and taste GREAT!!

Great report, with the weather we have been having I would have thought you were out and about earlier. Was there any size to the fish?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    Great report, with the weather we have been having I would have thought you were out and about earlier. Was there any size to the fish?
    I'd say they're running an inch or two larger than previous years this early and fatter... most in the 11-12" range and some fatter than i've seen them looking at the end of past seasons. Should be a great year up there. Did i mention how good they taste?

Time for an update. Been up here for a few weeks now camped at l'il crater. Wx been real nice cold mornings about 40 and then warms up to 60-70's once sun pops over the rim. West winds kick up about 10-11am but nothing too crazy and good for drift trolling. Very little fishing pressure - maybe 5-10 boats max on lake every day. Fish are all in the 11-13in range fat and beautiful orange/red meat. Bite is consistent all day with slow periods for maybe and hour or two. Pink and red hoochies with gold dodgers been working well so havent bothered to switch. I was gonna go home this week but after i saw the wx forecast for Grants Pass I am staying put at 6300 ft!! ha
    Ps the lake turned on sun am. Pretty green. Surface temp is 65. Gets cold fast deep. Fish biting at shallower depth now like 25 ft
    Last edited by Tesoro; 07-27-2015 at 07:57 PM.

7/28
    31 degrees this morning... wore the long johns!! Limited out by 8am jigging on the bottom in 70' of water off the shelf west of the red slide. Kokes averaged 12 -14" and are fat... meat is BRIGHT red!! All caught with corn soaked in pure olive oil drained from a can of sardines. Like Tesoro mentioned not many other boats out. Between the ones caught trolling at 40' last week and the ones caught jigging off the bottom at 70' today there was a definite size difference.

Sardines for breakfast?! true fisherman
    Confirm beautiful meat...some fish are much redder than others. The big males are getting a hook to the jaw and fight like hell. I got alot of hits yesterday but no hookup and corn still on. Deduced fish must be hitting my orange shasta tackle release. I spray painted them black last night..see if that makes a diff. Why would they make something color of a lure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
    Sardines for breakfast?! true fisherman
    Confirm beautiful meat...some fish are much redder than others. The big males are getting a hook to the jaw and fight like hell. I got alot of hits yesterday but no hookup and corn still on. Deduced fish must be hitting my orange shasta tackle release. I spray painted them black last night..see if that makes a diff. Why would they make something color of a lure?
    Good luck with that... all the ones i caught yesterday were on a black jig!!

Ha! well caught my fish today n no false bites so maybe it worked.

Paulina 8/19

The lake is on fire... never saw so many nets out!! We limited trolling... one side of the boat with a apex and the other with a hoochie. Fish are still in great shape... fat and between 12-14"... largest was 14 1/2". All caught between the 40-50' depth... large schools out in the middle in 240' of water. Pink and orange between 1.2-1.6 mph. Corn scent didn't seem to matter... caught fish with garlic, koke special, and sardine oil.