Thread: Loon Lake 2015

Default Loon Lake 2015

I'll start the thread for Loon 2015, it opened to fishing yesterday.

The weather yesterday was very unsettled with storm fronts moving through one after another. I called my nephew to see if he wanted to go in the afternoon since it was opening day after all! We have always gone on opening day but never early to fight the crowds. As my father always said "those fish live there son"

We got a VERY late start arriving at the lake at 6:45pm. Poles in a little after 7 with two on the wire at 25' & 35' and two on leaded one at three colors and one at four. various kokanee dodgers and spinners were baited with cured pink corn and pink maggots. Had to throw the whole arsenal at them given the short time left till dark.

Caught the first Koke in ten minutes at three colors...a little guy sent back to grow up for next year. The next one was a few minutes later on the four color leaded outfit. A little bigger and really tangled up in the hooks so in the cooler it went.

We trolled for quite a while with no hits so I changed up the three color lead to a Mack's Double D Dodger and whamo something whacked at it....then whamo again and it was fish on. No dink kokanee here! Brother in law (yep he went too) got the honors and says this one is a good one. I knew from the way it hit that it was a trout. We got it in the boat and it was a beauty at 3# 4oz.

Big black clouds coming so we headed back to the dock just before dark. All in all not too bad for a hasty late opener.
    Tight lines everybody. Off to Chelan next weekend for the Washington lakes get together and some kokanee fishing with my friend Fish Dawg from the Seattle area.

Thanks for the info. Wish we were there. Can't wait for our upcoming trip to Chelan and other eastern lakes!!

Fished both days of the opener.

First day's weather was insane. 28 degrees, snow, hail, wind, rain and yes some sun.

On Saturday, we caught a handful of kokes including one 19 inch. We also caught six trout. 1 brood and five hold overs. Key was toplining at 80 to 100 feet behind boat in 15-30 feet of water. Using Cyclops Dodgers and blade Style dodgers and various spinners. Colors of the day were chartreuse and pink.

Sunday was beautiful. My son and I caught two limits of kokanee and 4 triploids in the 2-3 pound class. Same setups as Saturday.

I will be out both days this weekend. My boat has a brown top, square bow and haulin' on the back. Stop by and say hi.

Attachment 7996Attachment 7997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-26 12.14.37.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	882.4 KB 
ID:	7998

Fished Saturday 5/2

Weather was interesting again. We had about 2 foot rollers for a good part of the morning.

Ended up with 20 kokanee and 2 triploids in the 18 inch class.

Started at 7AM and quit around 2PM. Bite was good early and later in the day. The bad time was the three hours of out of control wind.

All fish caught using Cyclopes Dodgers in Blue and Chartreuse and Hydra Spinners in bluet/chartreuse and pink/chartreuse.

We had half ounce of lead 30 inches in front of our dodgers and top lined at 30 to 80 feet behind the boat.

Attachment 8006

20 kokanee ready for the smoker

any size to these 20
    bad boy's???

Most in the 10 inch range which hopefully mean 13-15 by August. They do seem to have bit more girth this year.

I will be back out tomorrow. Working do macks at first light and switching to Kokanee around 9.

thanks for the info...where is Loon lake I've heard of it but for the life of me I can't remember where it is?

According to the regulations publication, Washington statewide limit for Kokanee is 5 per day... or someone PLEASE tell me I am wrong.

skintner

Correction. I found the right information in the downloaded pamphlet for Eastside Lakes Special Rules section. Loon Lake kokanee limit is 10, Sullivan Lake daily limit is 10... Thank God, they're so small a limit of five isn't worth the cost of the trip.

Sorry for the misinformation.
    skintner

Here's a copy of the rule from page 90 of the regs for anyone who is interested:

LOON LAKE (Stevens Co.) KOKANEE 4th Sat. in Apr.-Oct. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 10.
    All Other TROUT 4th Sat. in Apr.-Oct. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 5. Up to 2 over 20" may be retained. KOKANEE
    not included in TROUT daily limit.
    Other Game Fish 4th Sat. in Apr.-Oct. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.

Page 90 Unless otherwise listed in Special Rules, you must follow the Statewide Rules (pages 12, 15-17).
    Washington Sport Fishing Rules: Effective May 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015

Kokanee daily limit 10, they don't count against the trout limit. Possession is two daily limits, for example if I fish tonight and catch a limit I can also fish after midnight and catch tomorrows limit before going home.

Hope that helps - Alan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loon Kokanee 6-17-15.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	750.4 KB 
ID:	8130Night fished Loon for the first time this on Wednesday the 17th a week ago. Took new friends Judy (Froggy) and her husband Ben for their first ever kokanee night fishing trip. Got set up in the usual area down by Granite Point and demonstrated how not hook one of the silver ghosts. Wasn't expecting a bite as soon as I dropped down the first time; stole my corn too!

It was a nice warm evening with a slight breeze when we started and ended up being 53 degrees after midnight, don't forget you jacket if you are going out there. On with the fishing. Ben actually caught one before I did; cudos to the new student giving the teacher a lesson. Judy finally got the hang of it and caught her first one. They were running 10 to a little over 11 inches for size. I was pleasantly surprised as the ones I caught a while back trolling were pretty small.

Finished out the evening with a limit of 30 in the boat; not blazing fast but steady enough to keep the interest up. The bite was super lite so you really had to be on your toes to catch the little corn thieves. Shoepeg corn died pink with three or four maggots on Mack's Glow hooks did the trick.

Thanks you guys it was a blast!

Great Report Alan

I am rounding up my retired fishing buddy if he gets back and good chance I will be floatin by next week.

Thanks again, we had a grand time swapping stories, laughing and enjoying the evening. Can't wait to give nightfishing for kokes a try here atour home lake!!

Fished Loon last night. Pleasant relief from the heat wave we have been having. It got down to 60 degrees and had to put on a jacket.
    Had my brother in law Dan along and shared the fishing hole with a new fishing friend Tony, his fiance and futeur mother in law. They had never night fished and didn't have a clue what to do. Set them up with some glow hooks and magic corn. Had them anchor close to share the light and coach them how to catch silver ghosts

The water was 76 degrees and the kokanee moved in to 32 feet of water for their evening meal......we were waiting! Tony and crew figured out how to catch some and we limited and went home around 1:30 AM. Had a blast as usual at Loon night fishing.

Tight lines - Alan

So as my name states, I am a huge newbie to both this site and really fishing at Loon Lake. My family has gone to Loon Lake for years, and usually I just fish off the dock for sun fish just for the heck of it since I don't have a lot of patience for fishing. I enjoy casting and catching, which is why I have pretty much just stuck with catch and release with the sun fish. But we are heading up to the lake in a week, and my uncle and I want to do some serious fishing, but don't know the spots we should focus on. We are interested in kokanee and mack. Any helpful hints (ie. locations, lures, bait, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

newbie - It is very easy to figure out where people are night fishing. Look for the boats congregating in the Granite Point area at the south end of the lake in the evening just before dark. Also they fish mid lake too. I have posted lots of info here and at www.northwestfishingreports.com same name look my posts up for Loon.

You can also PM me for contact info.

Tight lines - Alan