Thread: Buying a 'new' boat just starting

Question Buying a 'new' boat just starting

Hi guys, I am 23, I live in Idaho. My name is Curtis, I am a software engineer / game designer by day, and a fisher any time I have a chance!

I am just starting in the boating world and I was hoping I would be able to get some input from the pros, before I start spending a 'boatload' of money. *pun intended

Attached are some pictures of the boat, and here are some basic specs on the engine

1978 Sea Swirl
    It has a Red Line V-6 and is rated at 170 horse onboard motor, 18 feet long

It has been winterized and serviced for the past 4 years as well.

What I am wanting to do with it is obviously some trolling, but I am concerned about a few things.

1. Trolling itself... I guess I could always get a trolling plate but its a really powerful engine, but eventually I would like a trolling motor and not sure how I would go about attaching one since it doesn't have the transom and you can see the pictures of it yourself below.

2. Attaching a couple downriggers to it, if I am able to troll, and special recomendations on how to do this? Metal plating between the boat? Any suggestions are welcome.

3. Overall is this worth my time & my dime to troll in this boat?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00O0O_le3jkfd0cDO_600x450.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	7858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00T0T_9W0b0WcgJRL_600x450.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	7856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00q0q_74y5K7cIPCT_600x450.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	7857
    Last edited by CurtisID; 03-31-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Curtis,
    If you are a family guy, that boat would make a nice fish and ski boat for the family. The boat as it sits, is a project. Figure that you will spend $2K - $5K to make it your own and the way you want it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Keep looking plenty of boats out there. You have to figure what your going to do with it.New or used easier to finance a new boat vs used.Glass very heavy,imboards take up alot of internal room, 17 or 18Ft you be surprise how weight adds up in a boat don't get it under powered. Lund .crestcraft etc it is very hard to find the perfect boat

Well, first of all, "Welcome" aboard! It's pretty tough to answer your question, because if it was me considering that purchase VS something else, I'd have to consider 1) budget = could I spend more, or do I need to make this area work?, 2) time - how much time do I have to work on this, 3) time again - how quickly am I wanting/needing a turn the key and go fishing boat?, 4) my own mechanical ability, or in MY case, LACK OF = to not only get the boat where I wanted it, but how comfortable I'd be with that old of an engine? (this goes back to my total lack of mechanical knowledge!)

So, it could work, not? How is that for a total worthless answer!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

My first boat was an I/O and I really missed my doghouse as a work surface when I went to an outboard. An 18' I/O comfortably can fish 2 guys and gets real crowded after that. It was perfect for my wife and I.

1) Trolling plates are a PITA. Bow mount electric or kicker motor on a kicker bracket.
    2) There is a good chance that the downrigger mounts could be installed on the back corners. But if not, I've made my own alum. mounting bracket that I bolted to the gunnel.
    3) Electronics ($750), Trolling motor ($1,500 to $2,000 for an electric with batteries and $3,000+ for a kicker), 2 Downriggers ($800)

This should help you from getting blindsided.

Curtis....welcome to the place where there's an abundance of us that would be more than happy to help you spend your money. We get the thrill....you get the bill.
    You didn't really say of you are thinking of buying this boat or have already purchased it. I suspect you're still looking at it. If it checks out and is sound it would make a good family/fishing boat. No boat is gonna fit all the things you want it to do perfectly. If it's a good price and in good mechanical/operating shape....what the heck? Have you been out in it yet? Will it idle down so you could troll? I agree with Mrmike....lots of boats out there right now. Look around. Compare.

Curtis,
    Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that just about everyone you talk to about boats will have a different opinion as to which design is best. When I purchased my most recent boat, I had two kids and a wife that were more interested in being pulled around the lake on a wakeboard or tube. I on the other hand would rather have a boat primarily designed for trolling for kokes with one or two bass/crappie trips each year. Our compromise was a fish/ski 17' Crestliner. This boat is just that, a compromise, as it places the helm towards the middle of the boat to allow for seating in the front. This is fine for the skiing and bass fishing trips, but makes my 17' boat feel more like a 14' boat when we are trolling. The reason is that most of the action takes place in the back of the boat and there is a lot of wasted space in front of the windshield. This will also be true with the boat that you are looking at as well. If you are looking for primarily a trolling vessel, I would look at a helm forward design that keeps all the seating in the back of the boat and limits the area in front of the wind shield to a small space large enough for one person to fish from a pedestal seat if they chose to go bass fishing. My buddy has a 19 foot North River that feels like it is almost twice as big as my boat when we are trolling because of its helm forward design. Once the kids are out of school I will be selling the Crestliner and getting one with a helm forward design. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 03-31-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I agree with sawtooth. Cab forward, leaving as much room as possible at the back is the way to go for trolling purposes. I winter fish and wanted room in the back with the top up covering four seats. If you take a look at a lot of boats the steering wheel is in the middle with a huge area in the bow for casting/fishing and not much in the back for trolling.

I have an old 1967 Starcraft Holliday that works out great that's the upside. The downside (if you want to look at that way) is I have a HUGE amount of work in the boat. Everything is new or refurbished except the hull. Here's a partial list:
    90 HP Evinrude E-tec, Yamaha T8 electric start, power tilt with remote throttle control, Lowrance HD7, Scotty electric downriggers, new full top, new floor, new transom and seats. All of this was done over time and the boat was fished a bunch during the metamorphosis. Great old boat with lots of room and it's "fishy" too boot.

All of that said you can eventually find a loaded boat and save a bunch of money and time. Old fishermen eventually can't go anymore and their families sell "Dad's" pride and joy; thus goes the cycle of life.....

Quote Originally Posted by downriggeral View Post
    Old fishermen eventually can't go anymore and their families sell "Dad's" pride and joy; thus goes the cycle of life.....
    That's pretty depressing for us old folks......but true. My wife says her new, younger, boyfriend will really like my boat when I'm gone. There's also days she's threatened when I pass she'll launch the boat, put me in it, pour gas on it, push it way from the dock and toss a match on it. Better than letting the new boyfriend dock rash it I guess.

Even when you get great advice and think you know something about boats, there is no replacement for having a practice boat or 2 to find out what your style / needs are. We are all different when it comes to what we like in a boat. Don't break the bank on a first time boat. My wife and I fished out of our "used" fish & ski family boat for a few years before I got my current boat. And of course, I wish I could get one more bite at the apple and get one more boat. I guess in short, get something that's affordable and work your way up to your dream boat after you've learned what you like and don't like about the one you get as a trainer.

You can say I'm in the same boat as some of these guys. I have a 20' Bayliner ski/fish style that has been re-modified to my way of fishing. The boat is paid for and I keep it garaged when not in use. I have 4 electric downriggers, electronics, added a kicker for trolling with a Trollmaster II and remote troll steering that allows me to steer boat from anywhere within. The downside is that its a IO which the doghouse takes up space but as mentioned a good work table. The boat came with back to back front seats which recently been replaced with a pair of captains seats. Framed boxes filled with foam was built as part of the boat for original seats which I had to cut down to make my news seats work out. This boat is also a bowrider which this section is a very seldom used area. I removed the cushions so I can store items that stay with the boat up there. If the helm was located more fwd I would have a lot more room in the back. Also added an arch to help clear floor area of additional rods and a net holder. Add-ons always come with a price. My next project is later this year to replace my current 4stroke kicker with one that has an electric start and charging ability for the batteries. Pull starting is not in my future anymore. Add-ons come with a price. It would be easier to purchase a boat that has some of the qualities but leave room for it to grow with your taste.

Oh man MckayGuy.............didn't mean to depress! Us old guys have many advantages and have hopefully fished enough to figure some of it out. I tell my children (when we're out fishing) "take a look at all of this fishing stuff" It's your inheritance!! Being of sound mind and body I spent it.

I started with a scanoe and an old trolling motor, added outriggers, clamp on downriggers, rod holders, a portable depth finder and a swivel seat - worked for awhile as most of my koke fishing is on an electric motor only lake so not a lot of wakes to deal with. Got too old to muscle that thing in and out of the truck so I upgraded to a crestliner 16.5 canadian. I was really looking for a john boat with a jet, but found this boat in Idaho and it came with both a jet and a prop lower unit. I haven't had any really problems on the river with the semi vee hull and it's nice when I have to plow thru waves and wakes out on the lake. After watching some You Tube videos I got the confidence to do some of the maintenance myself (waterpump impeller, plugs, oil, filters), and feel pretty sure I can swap the jet and the prop out myself as well. Watching someone do something is so much better than just reading the instructions somewhere. There are lots of boat maintenance/modification videos out there. Not sure if you are married or not, but there is a lot to be said for getting your toys before you tie the knot- it gets a lot harder after that.

Curtis welcome aboard just my 2 cents the last boat I owned before I up graded was a walk thru windshield Aluimium weld 18 ft used,had a 90 horse Merc 7 1/2 Merc kicker I paid 12,500 galvanized trailer. Wasn't my best choice at the time as time went by was a great boat fully eq anchor system,great elec etc had it for 4 yrs and sold it for 12,000.It did around 35 MPH. I didn't need to go out and buy a big truck to pull it.It tracked well trolling.Had plenty of room for a crabbing trip with the family. O'h full canvas. I felt I up graded and purchased an open boat a little bigger. Good luck just food for thought.
    Ll

Hi, Curtis,

One possibility would be to take a few fishing trips with guys on the forum who are willing and who have different boats. Ask a lot of questions. With that information and experience, your first purchase might last longer.

Physion

I got a 20 footer with a 5.7L I/O. yes the engine takes up some space, but it is a fishing boat and the motor cover works well for a spot to unhook fish.

I tossed out the front seats and made a fishing deck. No seat. Front one has anchor, 200 ft rope and life jackets. Two side ones have live jacket in each and fishing gear in both.

Up front I mounted a terrova and HDS 8 fish finder.

Mounted 2 adjustable rod holders in the back on both sides and one more in front of the consoles up front.

I just picked up some downriggers, I have plans to modify the back side behind the seats to make mounts for them. I also have room to store 4 rods for trolling in the back side, but don't have any pictures of that right now.

As for trolling. I can get the engine idled down to go 2 mph with nothing else to slow me. I am sure it would go 1.5 if I tossed out my drift socks I have for trolling.

Another opinion is if that is your boat, I'd remove the dolfin on the lower unit. They are hard on the steering pins. If the boat is hard to keep on plane, or porpoises a lot, buy a set of smart tabs for the rear. The thing will pop out of the water on plane and handle very well.