Thread: Cheep shoe peg corn

Default Cheep shoe peg corn

Just thought I would let everyone know my wife found shoe peg corn at winco in nampa for $1.09 a can. I usually pick it up at howards, as it is on my way home. But its $2.19 there.
    When she called me from winco, i told her to get like 10 cans :)
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Thanks trek

Thanks terek

Thanks for the info. Have any of you used or use the Gulp maggots. Seamed like last year started using them instead of corn and did ok. plus a jar lasts forever.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Up until now, corn was illegal at Flaming Gorge and the maggots were standard operating procedure. They work great and have lots of colors; like you said, they also are tough on the hook.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Since I use double hook set up we do try the gulp maggots and they do work only the red for us natural and grn didn't work as good.They are in are arsenal of goodies. I do shop at Winco so for sure will check out thanks for the info well appreciated.

I have not tried the maggots yet, due to the price ($5 a jar, ouch!) But if they last, then i can see it being worth it. Plus if they are catching fish, any price is worth it. How does the smell last? can you take them off after a while and toss em back in to the jar to smelly back up? I can see em lasting a whole season doing that

I've not had much luck with the Berkley maggots at Arrowrock or LP. I have used these fake maggots successfully at other fisheries, not in this state. Funny how a guy balks at spending $5 for bait, but will spend who knows how much on gas to get to the lake....and on snacks/beer/launch fees/other. Don't get me wrong....I do the same thing. You're right tho....if it puts fish in the boat we tend to forgive the prices.

It took a long time before I even tried live maggots... because they are live maggots. .. However, after years of trying everything else at Wallowa Lake, I eventually tried them and they worked better than anything else for that water. A few years ago, I tried them in at LP and Arrowrock, but the white corn, even without scent, worked better in Idaho. There's not much of a smell but they don't keep well. If you time it just right you could open up the can of them and they will all fly away for you, and then you are left in the middle of the lake with no bait. Once they are on a hook, they are done. However, it is easy to grow your own if you really want to.....

Nothing better than looking down at the live maggot container, which your buddy left the lid off, and only seeing about half the maggots crawling about a foot from the container and wondering where the rest of them managed to get to while you were sitting next to said container, paying no attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Have any of you used or use the Gulp maggots.
    i use them for trout, they work great
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Nothing better than looking down at the live maggot container, which your buddy left the lid off, and only seeing about half the maggots crawling about a foot from the container and wondering where the rest of them managed to get to while you were sitting next to said container, paying no attention.
    if you asked your buddy the reason why he left the lid off i bet he'd tell you its because you told everyone about his secret fishing spot
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    if you asked your buddy the reason why he left the lid off i bet he'd tell you its because you told everyone about his secret fishing spot

Terek,
    As far as putting them back in the jar, I do not. I use them for awhile and then take off and put on another. There are so many in the jar that I did not worry about the jar lasting longer. One jar last me quite awhile.
    As far as color, I have never used red or green. Always used the white/natural at LP and AR with good luck. sounds like I may have to pick up a jar of red ones.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

We always had better luck with live maggots then most other baits, athough the visual profile from corn is much larger. Never had much luck with gulp maggots, did better with small sections of night-crawler. Bob R

About 4 years ago the gulp maggots outproduced corn for most of the season at Wickiup for me. Before that the gulp produced maybe 50/50 so it was a toss up. The last 3 years I have only tried the gulp maggots a very few times. Corn has been the ticket the last three years. Weird how it has changed over the years up there

I agree we put red gulp maggot on one hook and corn on another. We use to have very good success with a small peace of worm at Wickiup its changed.

You guys mention Wickiup (Oregon)... Do you have any idea what's going on up there in Northeast Oregon? There hasn't been a post for Wallowa Lake in almost a year. Has everybody backed off on fishing it until they start catching world record kokanee there again or what? I know there are still fish there.

[QUOTE=Funny how a guy balks at spending $5 for bait, but will spend who knows how much on gas to get to the lake....and on snacks/beer/launch fees/other.[/QUOTE]

Ouch bro! JK. I balk about everything :) Ill put $30 in the boat without thinking about it, but whine about a $2 can of corn. Just spent $300 on a new sonar, but argue with howard about a $3 wedding ring

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    You guys mention Wickiup (Oregon)... Do you have any idea what's going on up there in Northeast Oregon? There hasn't been a post for Wallowa Lake in almost a year. Has everybody backed off on fishing it until they start catching world record kokanee there again or what? I know there are still fish there.
    Still lots of kokanee there 10-12" but by the time you buy oregon license & pay gas & camp fees, i just stay home.

Thank you MrGene.
    The deal is for me, is that I'm going over there anyways. I have a place in the the sticks out north of Enterprise, so it's about a half an hour to Wallowa lake from where my house is. 10 to 12 inch kokanee are big ones compared to what we've been catching for most of the last 30 years over there. Thank you very much for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Thank you MrGene.
    The deal is for me, is that I'm going over there anyways. I have a place in the the sticks out north of Enterprise, so it's about a half an hour to Wallowa lake from where my house is. 10 to 12 inch kokanee are big ones compared to what we've been catching for most of the last 30 years over there. Thank you very much for the info!
    OOPPPSSSS> what I meant to say is the largest are 10-12" according to my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgene View Post
    OOPPPSSSS> what I meant to say is the largest are 10-12" according to my friend.
    They are all the same size once they are in the jar. If a guy can take 25 of those home, that's a good mess of canned Kokanee.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default winco

the price of corn has gone up then, I get it in Oregon so I don't have to pay tax, I think I ate my last can of bait I had
    Last edited by snakeriverfisher; 03-08-2015 at 07:48 PM.