Thread: Newbie to the Gorge.

Default Newbie to the Gorge.

Since ice fishing for me went south this season, I spent far too much time reading about Jigging for Big Lakers and Trolling for Kokanee.

I have got the Laker stuff down and got everything I need but a couple rods and reels.

For the Kokanee I have some rods that will work for trolling. But as for the necessities of baits and tackle I would really like some tips to increase the chances of catching them.

I will be fishing around the state line areas and know I need the reciprocal stamp and a forest stamp.

Thanks for any help and tips anyone can provide.

I hope you have downriggers and a good fishfinder.

go to this if you can

ISE Salt Lake City show March 12-15, 2015
    http://www.sportsexpos.com/attend/20...ity/schedules/

and watch

Flaming Gorge Lake Trout & Burbot
    Ashley Bonser

Advanced Kokanee Techniques
    Jared Johnson

Downrigging 101

Rob Chambers

I have a Lowrance HDS8 Gen 2 so I think that would work well.

No Down riggers yet, but I am looking for a deal on a set.

No go on the SLC show.

Ill view those videos.

Thank you.

You don't have to go to sports show to get some of the necessities. By contacting any of the vendors they can set you up with a package.

www.RockyMountainTackle.com
    www.MagTackle.com
    www.KokaneeCreekTackleCompany.com
    www.VancesTackle.com
    www.ChristensonsLakeshoreTackle.com

Some of these sites have kokanee rods & reels/combos. Customer service with these folks are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    You don't have to go to sports show to get some of the necessities. By contacting any of the vendors they can set you up with a package.

www.MagTackle.com
    www.VancesTackle.com

Some of these sites have kokanee rods & reels/combos. Customer service with these folks are fantastic.
    Could not have said it better myself. But also www.fishingwithfathermurphy.com

Just my !
    Froggie

Your forgetting one company that has some of the most underrated kokanee tackle around,

www.radicalglow.com.

And father murphs bugs rock at the gorge also. We will have a bunch of them for sale in the booth this year at ISE. in SLC
    Last edited by Kokaholic; 03-10-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

And father murphs bugs rock at the gorge also. We will have a bunch of them for sale in the booth this year at ISE. in SLC[/QUOTE]

Oh no somthing else to buy, I don't have any murphs bugs, I think I will be broke before the Kokes start biting. maybe you will give me one at the show when I buy two
    Velocity 7'9" Elite Blue Glass Rods. giving one to a friend, will see if they are as good as my Batson Rainshadow RDR76L E-Glass

There are lots of great rods and reels out there for Kokanee and Mack's. Downriggers are a little more personal choice, once you learn all the quirks of how yours work you will think they are the best thing you have ever used. I would however recommend electric downriggers if you can afford them. I fish Cannon, my fried fishes Scotty, they both have there good points. As for rods I have a lamaglass Kokanee rod and 4 Cabeala's Kokanee rods with Daiwa accudepth reels, and 2 Abu Garcia 5500 c3's, they are all good. However the cabelas rods are $49.00 and on sale every so often for $34.99 and catch as many fish as any other rod I have. I have caught a few 7-8 pound Lakers, and 5-6 lb rainbows with out any problems on the light rods.

All of the stuff above doesn't count unless you get out on the lake, drive in circles all over the lake finding spots, graphing schools and catching fish. That is the fun part, and well worth the time. There are lots of little things to learn by watching the other guys, look at their down rigger releases at the dock, flashers, hutchies and spinners.

Wedding Rings, Hutchies, Kokanee Killers, just a place to start, rocky mountain tackle has some great kits. Mikes krill sent works great at times. Just remember if it isn't working change it up.

That's all I have.

Fwood

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post

www.MagTackle.com
    www.VancesTackle.com

big vote here for Rocky Mountain Tackle! RMT gear makes up about 90% of my tackle box.

I pick up RMT & Radical Glow stuff annually. I have so much duplicates and triplicates of some of there hoochies that the packages are still unopened. I'm like a packrat. Jared J and gang will be at the SLC ISE 3-12 to 3-15. Kokaholic has taken up that commercial slogan "What's in your Wallet". Looking fwd to seeing the RMT staff since I missed the Sacramento ISE this year.