Thread: 2015 Odell Reports

Default 2015 Odell Reports

When the lake opens in April let the jigging begin. That is by far the favored technique to get these early fish and they don't seem to respond to trolling very well early on. Late fish caught last fall were showing some impressive size, this could be a very good year!
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

great article in this months STS...check it out...

12 days and counting!

If anyone is interested in learning a few tips about kokanee jigging we will be doing 5 events at the lake this spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0030.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	865.7 KB 
ID:	7956  

I would just like to comment that your personnel comment to fellow kokanee fisherman and woman is well appreciated. A big plus for are sports by leading by your example.
    Last edited by mrmike; 04-16-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky Duck View Post
    If anyone is interested in learning a few tips about kokanee jigging we will be doing 5 events at the lake this spring.
    I plan to be at Shelter cove Friday evening. Where will the event take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanut View Post
    I plan to be at Shelter cove Friday evening. Where will the event take place?
    At the Shelter Cove store. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky Duck View Post
    At the Shelter Cove store. See you there.
    Jigging started slow on Sat but is wide open for us since then. Other struggled with jigs but they are starting to get it going. Trolling is good for this early but still not as productive as jigging.
    We are here for a week and I'm already tired of cleaning fish.

Name:	DSCN3878.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	480.3 KB 
ID:	7985  

Any size to them? Would Mid June be a time for trolling?

Mid June is usually a great time for trolling.

Kokes are 12-13 with the occasional dink, biggest was 14.5. Jigging has slowed for most. The guys that are getting them are getting off by themselves in the shallows and pounding the bottom on anchor.

Name:	drone.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	8004  

I know I'm going to say something here that will not make some folks very happy and they may say I am just jealous ..... When I looked at the Lucky Duck pictures at first I thought WOW what a catch!!! Then after looking some more at them I started thinking, is this really a good thing? Then I caught myself feeling a bit embarrassed for the people in the picture. They are all so proud of the catch, but to be honest how much skill did it really take to catch that many, looks like they were all but jumping in the boat. I would have been more impressed had they had 15 or 20 really nice fish, there's just something not right about being able to go out and retain that many fish from one trip. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, perhaps I don't totally understand the shear numbers that are in Odell and that we must harvest them in these numbers to keep the fishery strong. But my concern is, if there are 50 to 100 boats (assumption) going out day after day and hauling in these numbers there has to be some impact (good or bad???) on that lake. Kokanee fishing is growing in popularity, there are more and more people targeting these fish and the numbers prove that, so I do hope that ODFW keeps a close eye on this because someday there might not be much of a fishery here and if so, we will all know why....hope I didn't ruffled any duck feathers...

It does take skill to catch that many fish. While The Lucky Duck makes it look easy it has taken lots of work and an understanding of the fish for them to have results like that. You were right to assume that the shear number of fish in Odell is staggering. IMHO, they are doing the fishery a favor by thinning the herd. I think it is nearly impossible for fishing to substantially hurt a fishery like in Odell which has a very prolific natural reproducing population of kokanee.
    Last edited by Fallriverguy; 05-12-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Kokaguy 1 its good honest concern the duck didn't invent jigging been a stable at Odell for a lot a lot of years and old friend would stay for 30 days from the opener Cliff and they put there limits in there boat everyday. They didn't have all this technology that folks can chase the school and an audience. These folks kept there knowledge closed to themselves. The duck shares his knowledge and is an asset to the fishery. That my honest opion. These old timers the fish as long as they are schooled and then its over.I feel I'm very knowledge on jigging just don't like it. I love to troll that all the fish my family needs. Its all good so far.

Hit the nail on the head there!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    It does take skill to catch that many fish. While The Lucky Duck makes it look easy it has taken lots of work and an understanding of the fish for them have results like that. You were right to assume that the shear number of fish in Odell is staggering. IMHO, they are doing the fishery a favor by thinning the herd. I think it is nearly impossible for fishing to substantially hurt a fishery like in Odell which has a very prolific natural reproducing population of kokanee.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

35 yesterday and 25 today before wind kicked us off. 38-54' otw, orange or purple MAG Tackle hoochie Have been doing all the damage for us. Enjoying the lake on our 1st trip to the lake.

That is great . Was there any size to them , and where were on the lake where you fishing princess creek area or are they at the west end ? I was there memorial day weekend finished with 66 fish but I had to fish the princess creek area and of course the wind was blowing all the time. Still had a lot of fun. I am excited to get back up there for the fourth of July week 7 days of fishing .

Princess to the roadside overlook, I would say the biggest was in the 13" range

Great day at Odell on 09/23/2015, landed 7 really good quality fish all of which were next years fish. I lost about 14 due to using a short net. all fish hooked in the 47, 48 foot depth with a 15 pull setback. Weather was the bomb! If you want to see the lures being used you can check out my Detroit lake fishing video. You can check out my Odell trip at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHxg0PTSZc

Quote Originally Posted by gunq View Post
    Great day at Odell on 09/23/2015, landed 7 really good quality fish all of which were next years fish. I lost about 14 due to using a short net. all fish hooked in the 47, 48 foot depth with a 15 pull setback. Weather was the bomb! If you want to see the lures being used you can check out my Detroit lake fishing video. You can check out my Odell trip at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHxg0PTSZc
    What part of the lake were you fishing in?
    David