Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Wickiup Reports

I'm drooling here!! GREEN with envy!!!

yes I did my mistake sorry about that

I heard from a very reliable source that two little girls checked in a couple pigs at the twin lakes resort store on mothers day...they bumped my 18" 2 lb fish I caught on opening morning...to third spot...
    second spot is 18.5" 2.2lbs...
    first spot...19" and 2.4lbs.!!!

i have some pics...but cant get them to load...but the gal at the resort does the measureing and weight...and takes a picture...

well done girls! if Im gonna get bumped im glad it was by my two favorite nieces...Shelby and Lisa
    Last edited by toolman; 05-12-2015 at 12:09 AM.

You go GIRLS!

Fished with my daughter and her husband Sunday. It was a beautiful day fishing but the fish still are difficult to catch. We put in a long day for 7 fish. Four were larger fish ranging in size from 17 to 18.5 inches.

Paulina Peak hoochies and spinners behind Big-I or SEPS dodgers caught all but one fish.

Wow, beautiful fish. Can't wait for our trip in June!!!

Now I don't feel so incompetent. If fallriver guy and two other caught just 7 in a long day I don't feel bad about just landing 3 during a short day last Thursday. Still learning but having 5 fish on in my first 2.5 hours of fishing was better than my previous 6 days fishing combined! But the lake sure puts out nice fish! Looking forward to fishing Tuesday.

Mike

Onthe water by Davis and nothing this morning, saw nothing caught and no one said they had any that i spoke with.
    Ran 2 lines with fender and orange wedding ring and green wedding ring.
    1 watermelon dodger with tequila hoochie. All tippedwith white corn and around 10-15 ft down.
    2 more mornings to try.
    Any help or suggestions be much appreciated.

Shake

ShakeNbake

On Tuesday there was a feeding frenzy in 3 to 8 feet of water for emerging gray insects. I couldn't get them to hit anything I had and sure wished I had my fly gear.

Mike

Shake
    how long are your setbacks, we run 120-150' back early season down here when there shallow.

Elk,
    I've had 1 at 40ft with 1oz banana , and 1 long lining 60 ft no weight.
    Your 120-150 with no weight?

Shake

Yes no weight and way back. Don't use sling blade style dodgers but the skateboard style. PPT dodgers are great for this. This setup has been hot at times and especially the first couple hours of daylight this year. Last year this setup caught all day long, but did slow down in the afternoon.

Thanks guys,
    I ran 120 setback with dif color wed-ring from 6am-10:30 with no results.
    I was using a sling blade though today. Have just about every color of the
    Skateboard type. Will dump using any fender type for tomorrow and go gunhoe
    On the dodger's. Again, didn't see any boated and only about 10 boats trolling this morning .
    There was a bass tournament there this morning, don't know how they did.
    One more moring until july for a few weeks.
    Thanks for the help from all. Hopefully I'll have pic tomorrow

Yes as chuckdave said, we figure that they drop 5-10' down depending on dodger and speed, might want to try a small Seps tear drop or Sumani from RMT if u have any. I'm heading up on Monday to give Wickiup and Odell a try for the 1st time ever, hope you find them and u get some pics. We also work the gear slow 1.0- 1.2 on the gps, if that isn't working try a bit faster also if you have any plain hoochie said no spinner blades on them give them a try. Sometimes the fish want things with less movement.

Also don't be afraid of running the spinner without a dodger at all.

Fished Sunday with my son. Heard Saturday was really slow so we didn't expect too much. Found a decent bite and picked up 11 fish. My son caught the biggest of the year for us so far. All but 1 came on the down riggers 10-17 on hootchies. Fished from 7:15-11:30 and did notice the water temp had increased 5 degrees since Memorial Day. The lake temps had been running about 5-8 degrees below average for this time of year. And water is not dropping nearly as fast as I thought. Levels seem very average for this time of year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	922.6 KB 
ID:	8089

Fishing Wickiup today, drove over from Odell to check this lake out. 6 nice fish in the box with biggest 17 3/4", dropped 2. Best broth so far has been 22' otw over where the 2 channels come together, no pattern on the lures yet all have been 1 hit wonders lol. Very nice lake not typical of what I'm used to fishing as far as depths for this time of year. Hopefully we'll get a couple more to end the trip on.

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	849.7 KB 
ID:	8107

Slow start that got even slower yesterday. Fished with Fallriverguy and had a lot of fun comparing notes and seeing what wasn't going to work. We tried all kinds of things and had three that hit on orange hootchies first thing. Then things went really quiet for several hours. We dug deep in the boxes and tried all sorts of things that didn't work. We finally got a bite going just after 11 on a pink UV and orange UV custom dipped hootchies behind Paulina peak gold dodgers. Fish were hitting the riggers at 28-35' and even hit the long line with a half oz of lead, not sure how deep that one was fishing. Wrapped it up with the almost double pictured above. As we were netting the first fish the second one hit. Had to use both nets but got the pair of 19"ers in the boat and had to call it a day at that point with 17 on ice. Despite the slow stretch we had a blast. Even had one fish that hit the port down rigger and raced to the surface and up the starboard side and actually passed the boat before I could catch up to it on the reel. It went around two other down riggers but we luckily were able to get it into the net after some fancy rod and line unwinding from the two down rigger lines.

Quick recap of last week. Fishing has been up and down. We pre fished for the derby last Friday and found a few fish but couldn't find any of the big ones. Luckily on derby day with my Dad and brother we did find some of the bigger 18-19.5" fish to add to our creel. Finished with the biggest 5 weighing in over 12#'s., and landed 22 for the day. Want to thank the folks that put the derby on, we always have fun on the water and after at the lunch and raffle.
    Last edited by chukardave1; 06-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.

So this past weekend I had the opportunity to fish both days and learned a valuable lesson at the same time. I put two really nice fish on the boat on Saturday both were just under 2 lbs a piece. I fished from 5:30 to about 10:30 and it seemed that most boats I talked to were having the same or even worse luck. Although I had heard that there is a couple of guys who were slaying em. Sunday I had two fish in the boat almost immediately and then a really long stretch with nothing. I had almost thrown in the towel but decided to text a friend who gave me some advice. I've heard this advice before and read it in books and elsewhere, but have never really practiced it as diligently as I should. The advice was to throw my tackle box at the fish. I've been told and read that if you're in an area where the fish are you should stay there and you should be changing tackle regularly. I watched some guys who were constantly in motion, gear was coming and going quickly, every 2nd or 3rd pass they'd have a fish on. so I decided to to follow that advice, I tried all kinds of things, different colored dodgers, sling blades, hoochies, spinners, combination of things I have never used before and so on. after one such change I had two fish hit the same pattern (green spinner with a green/silver) sling blade. The first fish hard and took line and I knew this was a bigger fish just by the strength of the fight... my first thought was that it was a brown. I boated a 20" 2 lbs 14 oz kokanee, by far the biggest koke I have ever put on my boat. The lesson I learned was this, if you want to keep catching you have to be aggressive with gear changes... it's like a lesson I have to relearn every other year when chukar hunting... I can see my dog on point and I know that there's no way a bird is holding where he's pointing and as I'm walking in telling my dog what a knucklehead he is, pfffftttt there goes a chukar. Dave thanks for the advice I will never go more than 20 minutes with the same gear in the water if I'm not getting hits...

Matt

Glad you smacked some nice fish. I am still searching for the magic 20 this year. Its funny you got two on green, I have tried it many times this year but have not gotten one yet. I finally landed on a good bite on Sunday, we got a late start as I had my wife, daughter and son with me. Started fishing around the crack of 10:45. Had one on immediately before I could get the second rod rigged up, but lost it because I wasn't paying attention. Did manage another shortly after on the same orange hootchie then things went kinda quiet. I also started cycling through the gear and hit on a pink hootchie that I had never used in the water before, not sure why I hadn't, just had never sent it down. Put it on and sent it down and WHAM fish on!!, but lost that one about half way in. Sent it back down and within a few minutes it had another fish on which my son landed. I started tearing through the boat looking for another like it. While I was doing this the wind was starting to build. Picked up and ran upwind for the wind-assisted troll with my wife at the helm. I started putting pink out and had fish on all three down riggers going. Lost one more but boated five in that pass. At the end of the pass my daughter was already starting to feel the effects of the building wind waves and was tapping out. Headed in and took the family over to South Twin for a late lunch, and some paddle boating. Great day on the water and a perfect way to spend Father's Day.

After a 10 day trip to Hawaii interrupted my kokanee season I finally got back out. WOW what a difference a couple weeks makes. Hard to recognize the lake and the dock will be useless by tomorrow I would guess. That lake has dropped ALOT, and continues to drop fast. Water temp was 71 and had cloud cover all day. A couple of light showers. Fishing was OK as long as you kept changing the gear. Best depth was 30-35' with gold/pink PPT teardrop dodgers with variety of pink, red, and orange hootchies. Largest fish came on pink and green spinner. Finished with 18 and the two biggest were just shy of 20", and fat, weighing in at 3lb 5oz and 3 1/2 # Biggest kokes i have ever hauled out of there.

Thanks Chukardave,Matt
    Came back this week and ran orange tipped gold dodger with orange/tequila hoochie at 30ft down and had a nice Kok
    on in no time. Then ran same setup on Tuesday but forgot my kicker on high idle (1.7) and lol, land a beauty of a trout.
    Be back Saturday for another week.
    30ft down, 25 setback orange tip gold dodger, 6" to orange hoochie with green 4bead stack under hoochie.☆

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	8211

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	8212

Have been out the last two sundays. Similar catch last sunday as we had yesterday. A few more colored up fish today. We released one really RED fish. Had to do more changing today with the hootchies. Diff shades of pinks and orange minis behind the PPT gold Big Eye. At the end a white hootchies kicked in a few. Downriggers at 18-22' 12' setback. water 70-71 degrees all day at surface. 5 gal bucket for size reference

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	574.7 KB 
ID:	8226
    Biggest kokanee on my boat from Wickiup since I started fishing this lake. 21.5" and 3.5#

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	677.8 KB 
ID:	8227
    My son's first kokanee on his brand new kokanee rod. He ran all his own gear and was switching up gear like a pro. Found some hootchies I had stashed and never thought I would use. He put them on a new leader and ran them out and scored on some interesting gear. Really proud of him.

Name:	IMG_2016.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	8228

Haul for the day. Another awesome day on the water. Had DRMatt out with us. Great to finally get together and fish with him, great guy and fit right in with vibe on the boat. Started off pretty good and slowed a bit as it went on. Might be last trip of the year, as much as I hate to say it. Had some of the fish grilled last night. It was quite good.

Dave, I seem to hear alot that the Kokes from Wickiup have a muddy taste but it looks as though your not in agreement on that? Those look really nice good job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast